Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 04:30 PM

805 posts, read 2,114,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy_d View Post
And, the lead paint laws for landlords may be onerous, but they can't be that bad or there wouldn't be a rental market in most Baltimore neighborhoods. There are plenty of rentals in my neighborhood that weren't total rehabs.
Or your property is a transient rental so you don't have to get it tested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 09:24 AM

2 posts, read 6,627 times
A lot of people will tell you that it is crazy expensive, not worth the investment to buy an older home, or too hazardous!

The best thing you can do is buy Lead Paint Remover. It will be a job to do but not too expensive if you do it yourself. I have done this before. I bought an older Victorian home full of lead based paint. The thing is, homes like this (older model) are project homes and honestly I enjoy putting in the work to restore it!

So it's up to you if you think it is worth it or not. Don't let lead based paints scare you. There are easy solutions. It just requires some work on your part. Don't waste your money paying someone else to do it for you!

I bought 5 and 10 gallon buckets of lead paint remover from abatix.com. Was it cheap? Not the cheapest but definitely worth it. And they are crazy fast with delivery of materials! Check them out!

Old 06-05-2014, 09:58 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,472,725 times
There's a new (maybe not so new) product called Ecobond and I swear by it. If you have the money I would have it professionally removed, but I have found that the lead paint chips are very tightly sealed underneath the Ecobound and painted on top of it. It's not the prettiest paint job but if you have little ones living with you or who occasionally visit, then please take some lead paint mitigation measures.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:16 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,455,480 times
I did a full gut and rehab on my 1880 Baltimore rowhome. There is an apartment in the building (big corner unit). I paid ~$300 & change for the lifetime lead test, no problems at all.

Old 06-07-2014, 03:41 PM

95 posts, read 170,866 times
You have to do a lead test each time you get a new tenant. (~$300) It's not that bad. Each of our rental properties were built around 1900. The best thing to do is paint over each window sill, mouldings, and doors (or have new ones installed), then wash them with soap and water. Hopefully the lead wipe test comes up normal, which it usually should.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:20 PM

1 posts, read 412 times
Default www.mdleadpaint.com

They give a 50$ assessment of your property and it comes out of the total bill if they have to repair the minimum for there jobs are 1500 but if its small they will work with you. better safe than sorry the fine for doing it your self and getting caught by the city or MDE or housing 27000 dollars but you know they settle out for 4 or 5 thousand.

Last edited by Inspector-Gadget; 01-07-2018 at 02:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore