Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 06:22 PM

2 posts, read 6,391 times

Advertisements

Any good advice, Im a travel nurse and will be working at John Hopkins Bayview. Need advice on the area and about where I will be staying. I have the option of 3 apartments and need to know #1 safety and #2 the ease of driving back and forth to the hospital. Apt #1 is at Crossing at White Marsh in Perry hall, Md, Apt#2 is Reserve at Stonegate in Baltimore, Md, and Apt#3 is Bonnie Ridge in Baltimore, Md. Im jhust a little nervous about the compute, one Im from a very small county, but have traveled for years but this will be the largest area so far. Concerned about the weather, how hard is it to drive in the months of Jan and Feb if it snows, and how bad is the comute from these apt to hospital and also the safety of the areas of the apt. Will be very appreciative for any good advice becaused i will definetly be out of my element and overwhelmed for the first couple of weeks, possible longer, so thanks for any advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 06:33 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendellpatty View Post
Concerned about the weather, how hard is it to drive in the months of Jan and Feb if it snows,
It helps to have a 4-wheel drive vehicle, esp. if you are essential personnel. Some years we have had 24 inches at a time, or close to 40 inches in 2009.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:20 AM

342 posts, read 1,554,623 times
I'm not sure of these exact locations but coming from the White Marsh area your commute would probably be south on I95 to Eastern Ave. and this could be your best choice of the three.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:07 PM

775 posts, read 1,785,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendellpatty View Post
Any good advice, Im a travel nurse and will be working at John Hopkins Bayview. Need advice on the area and about where I will be staying. I have the option of 3 apartments and need to know #1 safety and #2 the ease of driving back and forth to the hospital. Apt #1 is at Crossing at White Marsh in Perry hall, Md, Apt#2 is Reserve at Stonegate in Baltimore, Md, and Apt#3 is Bonnie Ridge in Baltimore, Md. Im jhust a little nervous about the compute, one Im from a very small county, but have traveled for years but this will be the largest area so far. Concerned about the weather, how hard is it to drive in the months of Jan and Feb if it snows, and how bad is the comute from these apt to hospital and also the safety of the areas of the apt. Will be very appreciative for any good advice becaused i will definetly be out of my element and overwhelmed for the first couple of weeks, possible longer, so thanks for any advice!!
Did you lose a bet?

Old 12-13-2011, 02:23 PM

Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center is on the southeast side of town. Bonnie Ridge is northwest and Reserve at Stonegate is cross town on the west side. neither one would be a good commute to Bayview. Go for the Crossing at White Marsh. Your front-wheel drive car with all-season radial tires will suffice. In severe snowfalls volunteers with four-wheel drive vehicles will transport medical people.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:56 PM

611 posts, read 1,456,180 times
You will love Baltimore, its a city full of contradictions. Just be mentally prepared to see a third world country right here in America. And Hopkins is a great Hospital. Try to stay open minded and you will have a great time.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:41 PM

2 posts, read 6,391 times
Thanks so much for the great advice, LOL! really liked, Are you kidinme, and asked if Id lost a bet; that does not sound to promising. Really good info from boomtownfunlover, that helps a lot, really appreciate! Ive traveled to Cali several times, but was always placed in a smaller area of cali, and did not have to worry about the weather and were I live, theres very few snow days, at the most once about every other year sometime in Jan and the most i can ever rember getting is 6-8", we just get mostly sleet that melts, nasty and slushy, but never a need for snow shovels, or tires with chains, Ha/not sure if you can even buy a snow shovel were I live. I have had so many people try and talk me out of this travel job, but John Hopkins would be a great experience and opportunity. Ive worked as a Trauma nurse for years in a level I teaching hospital, and getting this opportunity makes me feel like all that hard work is starting to pay off and opening great doors like John Hopkin's. Really would like to hear enough good about Baltimore to help ease my family and friends mind as well as mine. If they is any one that has made this transition has any advice, or any more advice from the great Baltimore residents, would again very much appreciate, days are counting down, I have to make a definite decision very soon, Thanks!! !!

Old 12-17-2011, 06:44 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,855 times
I love Baltimore, no place I'd rather be. I've never once been in a dangerous situation in my 12 years. If you want a truly great Baltimore experience I'd recommend living in canton, fells point or federal hill. Three terrific, safe downtown adult playgrounds filled with things to do. White marsh is cool if you like malls, families and chain restaurants.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:22 PM

775 posts, read 1,785,146 times
I see your request for encouragement to calm your friends and family got a rousing response. The real deal is this place is not safe. Sorry. If you want to play the odds, c'mon. I could not in good conscience encourage anyone, let alone a single female, to move here. Don't believe what you hear about Canton or Fells. The bad guys pray on the folks living there. For example: Baltimore Crime Beat: Police seek man in robberies of women in Canton - Baltimore crime news: Police, courts and police stories in the city and central Maryland - baltimoresun.com

Old 12-27-2011, 02:39 PM

In any event, she's not going to THE Johns Hopkins of myth but to Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center where the patient care is nothing to write home about. The lady said nothing about Fells Point or Canton and probably isn't looking for the bar scene anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore