Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2012, 11:59 PM

274 posts, read 675,364 times

Advertisements

when I enter an address in the spotcrime.com website, TONS of theft walking dudes come up. I'd like to know what kind of Theft this signifies...like breaking and entering? or theft off of someone's porch? or theft out of someone's car? What kind of Theft are we talking? Just about every address you enter on SpotCrime.com when checking crime out in neighborhoods comes up with these little blue men everywhere. To me, as a swf buying my first home, it's unnerving. I'm having second thoughts about buying a house in Baltimore. What do these little blue dudes EVERYWHERE really mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 12:34 PM

206 posts, read 470,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eav1221 View Post
What do these little blue dudes EVERYWHERE really mean?
Car break-ins.

And that you're freaking out.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:34 PM

what do you mean, I'm "freaking out." Elaborate, please. I'm trying to make the biggest purchase of my life and turn to this board for advice and wisdom, not to be insulted.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:06 PM

342 posts, read 1,549,812 times
Theft is theft as opposed to robbery which could involve a physical threat or actual assault. If you click on the little blue man are you given any details? If an icon indicates multiple thefts at one location it probaby indicates retail shoplifting. You can also try crimereports.com.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:09 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,775,864 times
"Theft" on that website is generally petty theft. Car break ins, taking stuff off a porch maybe, shoplifting... That kind of thing. Very common in any big city.

Burglary is usually someone breaking into a house or shed. I think credit card fraud also falls under that heading, which is why you will see that pop up at stores.

Robbery is probably the most serious of the stealing categories, since that involves person to person stuff like muggings and armed robbery.

That website will scare the hell out of folks unnecessarily I think. It helps sometimes to plug in an address for a neighborhood you know to be pretty decent, and see the stats then compare. Also look at the exact descriptions of a lot of crimes. You may see most of the things called "burglary" are really midday shed breakins or someone taking piping out of unoccupied houses. Or you see an "assault" and it was a domestic dispute or a fight outside a bar.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:07 PM

Thanks. I saw all these "thefts" and it gave no further information. I don't mind petty thefts/car break ins...I was worried about breaking and entering. That would be a different story. I'm by myself. I just want to feel safe in the neighborhood where I end up buying...probably Hampden.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:18 PM

7,305 posts, read 13,446,814 times
If you click, the distinction is made. Most of those "Theft" or "Larceny" incidents will be showing places where someone broke into a car.

Safety is 99 percent perception, ya know? Take a trip to these places you're looking late at night, and see if you feel comfortable enough. As you say, it's the biggest decision. ... and while the internet is good for many things, your perception tell you if a place feels right.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:06 PM

206 posts, read 470,468 times
Sorry, I probably could have said freaking out unnecessarily. I don't wish to insult. But there are a bunch of us who have put some time into aiding you through this process, and you do keep shifting focus. Let's just say it wouldn't be fun to be your realtor.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:59 PM

757 posts, read 2,545,034 times
As others have said, I think it's quite safe to say that the vast majority of those thefts are car break-ins. And, I know it's not nice to blame the victim, but many could have been prevented with a little common sense or effort. I constantly see cars in my city neighborhood filled with stuff in plain view. Even if it's not valuable, that doesn't make much difference for the desperate person who is trying to quickly make a buck and isn't doing a thorough cost/benefit analysis.

These crimes are also very cyclical. You'll see a bunch of car break-ins in a short period of time in a neighborhood, and then nothing for a long stretch, probably because a serial perp has been locked up for something.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:03 AM

342 posts, read 1,549,812 times
Don't worry about the little blue men, eav, Hampden is as good a place as any for your first house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: