Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2008, 10:56 AM

315 posts, read 1,300,223 times

Advertisements

helenjen,
I try not to engage in personal attacks, but since I am the object of most of it, I feel I should respond. Of course, you know I never said "we could all be killed at any moment." This is the type of overreaching hyperbole used by people with no valid rebuttal. The reason I pointed out the numbers of non-drug related murders is because there is an effort on this board to portray the murder problem in Baltimore as something that doesn't touch "the rest of us."

Old 01-10-2008, 12:57 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,066 times
Bawlmer,

If I'm directly quoting someone I use quotation marks. I never said that you said, "we could all be killed at any moment," and I was being hyperbolic purposefully so as to match what I read as the hyperbole-masking-as-truth often found in your statements. When you write " I would recommend against moving to Baltimore period!" or "Baltimore has NO redeeming qualities," that is pretty hyperbolic, no? What kind of message do you think you are sending to people who are unfamiliar with Baltimore with that hyperbole? And your comments on crime do make it seem like Baltimore, all of Baltimore, is homicidal death trap.

Ultimately, it's the audience that makes meaning of all of our messages, and I'm telling you that as part of your audience you do sometimes make it seem as if "we could all be killed at any moment."

Old 01-10-2008, 01:34 PM

866 posts, read 2,628,047 times
When the Baltimore-lovers post advice about moving to Baltimore, we acknowledge that the city has its problems. We see both sides and post our perspective.

When the haters post, it's as if there is NOTHING positive about living here, and people who are looking to move here are unfairly encouraged to live as far away from Baltimore as possible.

That's the difference.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:34 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,018,889 times
It's funny... I first joined this forum when we were getting ready to move to AZ. I was amazed (and a little scared) by all of the negative posts in the Tucson threads. You'd think that it's a sweltering crap hole by some of the accounts.

I just happened to pop into the Baltimore thread to check it out, and lo and behold, same thing. I think the anonymity of the internet really allows people to vent, rant and unleash their opinions no matter how biased.

It basically boils down to this: all places have their good points and bad. I have had some terrible experiences in Baltimore, but I have also had some wonderful experiences too. If you're thinking about moving to the area, I highly recommend to visit, drive around, talk to people. Don't be so quick to buy a house. Maybe get a short-term rental so you'll have time to really get to know the area. Baltimore does have many unique qualities about it and its own charm (hence the name Charm City).

That's what we did in Tucson, and we were able to make an informed decision on where to buy a home based on first-hand experience.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:09 PM

757 posts, read 2,554,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Man View Post
When the dealers move up from Greenmont Avenue at night? Yes, you do.
I've never witnessed drug dealing in my neighborhood. Also, learn how to spell.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawlmer View Post
Good points helenjen. Another way to look at it is 22 % of murders were random victims. That's 62 people killed that had nothing to do with drugs. Just like you and me. Wonder if their families would agree things are looking up?
Why do you assume that the other 22% are random victims? They've just never been arrested for a drug-related offense before (or at least don't have a record that the authorities were able to find). It's still a tragedy, no matter what their history, but once again, you try to fit the facts around your tired argument.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:51 AM

315 posts, read 1,300,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy_d View Post
Why do you assume that the other 22% are random victims? They've just never been arrested for a drug-related offense before (or at least don't have a record that the authorities were able to find).
Typical response! You accuse me of making an assumption while at the same time you make a huge assumption. Not sure how you KNOW this information. But no one will question this, I'm sure.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:55 AM

234 posts, read 1,062,906 times
No drug dealing in Charles Village? You don't get out much.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetchie View Post
No drug dealing in Charles Village? You don't get out much.
I'm sure there's plenty of it, but I'm stating a fact that I've never witnessed open-air, hand-to-hand street deals. Maybe it occurs in the southeast portion closer to Greenmount and North, but not where I am. And yes, I do get out quite regularly and at all times of the day.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawlmer View Post
Typical response! You accuse me of making an assumption while at the same time you make a huge assumption. Not sure how you KNOW this information. But no one will question this, I'm sure.
I don't profess to know any information. The article stated that 78% of murder victims had prior drug-related arrests, and you stated that the other 22% were innocent victims.

The other 22% could have been arrested previously for any number of crimes. Maybe they were involved in drugs but were just lucky and had never been caught before. Maybe they had just gotten into "the game". Who knows? But given that there is a crime problem in Baltimore, as you like to frequently point out and blow entirely out of proportion, whose assumption is probably more accurate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore