Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2008, 12:32 PM

315 posts, read 1,300,223 times

Advertisements

I wish it was just the westside as you state. Unfortunately, its the whole city. Look at the crime stats. I know you love your little 3 ring circus, but people inquiring about Baltimore aren't interested in just your block. At least I'm honest with them. Is there a place like you describe somewhere in Baltimore? Yes, I'm sure there is. But, there's a much better chance of someone ending up in a crappy crime infested neighborhood simply because that is the bulk of the neighborhoods in the city. People asking about Baltimore want to know the unvarnished truth, not some pollyanna bs about Baltimore culture and important architecture, please.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:01 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,595,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawlmer View Post
I wish it was just the westside as you state. Unfortunately, its the whole city. Look at the crime stats. I know you love your little 3 ring circus, but people inquiring about Baltimore aren't interested in just your block. At least I'm honest with them. Is there a place like you describe somewhere in Baltimore? Yes, I'm sure there is. But, there's a much better chance of someone ending up in a crappy crime infested neighborhood simply because that is the bulk of the neighborhoods in the city. People asking about Baltimore want to know the unvarnished truth, not some pollyanna bs about Baltimore culture and important architecture, please.
Actually I would think most people moving because of a job opportunity would understand that Baltimore is a city and therefore has issues, not unlike any other city (DC for example). I think they would be more curious about areas to consider for a potential future location and activities.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:35 PM

315 posts, read 1,300,223 times
What did you say?

Old 02-01-2008, 01:49 PM

43 posts, read 174,212 times
Bawlmer- My views are not 'Pollyanna' as you say, Bawlmer. I live a very edgy and bohemian lifestyle by most standards. I think your focus on the negative is unhealthy and not realistic to most of the lives in 'my Baltimore'. All I am saying is that is completely possible to live an interesting, creative, fun, healthy 'city' life here in Baltimore. You can certainly find trouble- but if you know where to go, and where not to go- you can also avoid it. You offer no solutions- just 'don't go there'. What's that? I live here- and have lived here for 20 years- I know what's up, what to do, where to go and how to really 'live' here... do you??

Old 02-01-2008, 06:50 PM

757 posts, read 2,554,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawlmer View Post
Another thing I wonder about is; why do those folks who think Baltimore is great always suggest those of us who don't move out? It can't be out of genuine concern. I guess they want the culture all to themselves.
Maybe because you're obviously miserable here? Because you're not doing anything to help the situation? Constantly griping and trying to scare people away from the city by making absolutely absurd statements (Baltimore has third-rate museums? How about the Cohn collection at the BMA?) is only going to make things worse, not better.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:02 PM

14 posts, read 42,489 times
I moved to Canton, GA 10 yrs ago from the Little Flower area of north east Baltimore where I purchased my first house in 1991. I grew up in Parkville and took public transportation to Catholic High. I worked in Towson, where my purse was stolen at work. I worked in Pikesville where I was robbed at gunpoint and forced to open a safe in my office. My family moved to White Marsh 5yrs ago and I have siblings that live in Rogers Forge, Kenwood and Perry Hall. I listen to my family in every one of these locales complain about the crime and how there is no sense of safety. I count my blessings everyday that I got out when I did. Canton, GA is the northern most point of the Atlanta metro area. It takes about 30 minutes to get to Atlanta on a good day. All areas have there issues - but I'll take this over Baltimore any day.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:30 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,066 times
I don't know how the comparison of the suburbs stack up, but, according to the most recent statistics available, I'd personally take Baltimore over Atlanta any day.
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed
And though Baltimore has many more murders, recent links on this forum (Feature: A Breakdown Of Baltimore City’s 2007 Homicide Statistics | 1/23/2008 | Citypaper.com and another post that I can't find about the vast majority of those being killed being involved in drugs) point out that because of my race and because of my lack of participation in the drug trade, my chances of being murdered in Baltimore are very slim (knocking on wood as I'm superstitious).

Last edited by Yac; 02-14-2008 at 06:41 AM..

Old 02-03-2008, 07:01 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,595,746 times
By the way. did you notice that all of the places jena referred to happen to be in the suburbs? Thank God I live in the city!!

Old 02-03-2008, 07:09 AM
BSE

1 posts, read 2,590 times
Default that ruff

wish you will make it though

Old 02-03-2008, 08:52 PM

4 posts, read 15,607 times
i dont have a choice we are getting relocated. I will be working in rockville and the sig other in baltimore (70 & 695). can you provide any opinion on where to live with a reasonable commute time and we wont be paying 500K+ for a home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore