Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 09:00 AM

54 posts, read 255,795 times

Advertisements

SWB, I admire your idealistic nature. If you move here, it will be tested. I was once like you too. I work in one of Baltimore's sketchy neighborhoods. My work "serves the underserved". I get tired of the constant menace, filth and depravity that I see everyday. Unfortunately, you (meaning middle class, urban pioneers) are outnumbered. You are dealing with entrenched, generational, poverty and ignorance. It is now embraced as "culture".

Old 03-06-2008, 01:24 PM

5 posts, read 13,818 times
I have lived in the suburbs of Baltimore my whole life and recently just moved dowtown to Canton. I go walking every evening and have never experienced any crime or saw any crime since I have lived there. Obviously, you DONT GO to the bad neighborhoods. I have never been to NW, W and SE Baltimore and never want to! There is so much great in this city and people are to ignorant to listen about it.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:36 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,595,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensrule1980 View Post
I have lived in the suburbs of Baltimore my whole life and recently just moved dowtown to Canton. I go walking every evening and have never experienced any crime or saw any crime since I have lived there. Obviously, you DONT GO to the bad neighborhoods. I have never been to NW, W and SE Baltimore and never want to! There is so much great in this city and people are to ignorant to listen about it.

I agree completely with you. I have lived in a number of cities and Baltimore is better than most of them. It has great neighborhoods and a rich fabric. I do not consider myself to be an urban pioneer. I have never lived in a suburb and I do not have any intention to do so in the future. I have been here for awhile now and I love it more the longer I stay. I'll take my chances with crime. I am a big boy and know that my safety is a concern wherever I am--city, country, or out-of-country. I suggest for all those folks who consistently rant about how horrible Baltimore City is to either move out to the burbs or move to another city and then be an expert on what truely is wrong with Baltimore. Believe me, there are tons of thousands of folks who chose to live in the city and truely love it.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:42 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,595,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Why would it be "deleted shortly?" I don't find it to be offensive. I was entirely expecting replies along the lines of "you don't live here so you don't have the authority to speak on the issue." I'm just giving you my honest insight as an "outsider" who is now pondering pursuing an internship at Reznick in Downtown Baltimore. If (and that is admittedly a big "if") I was offered a full-time position with this company and accepted it, I'd be looking to live in one of these urban neighborhoods within reasonable walking distance of downtown. After reading this thread, I'd be SERIOUSLY reconsidering that decision. Baltimore needs all of the fresh blood it can get. I myself love the urban lifestyle too much to let the naysayers get me down, but I've seen firsthand how Scranton's naysayers have scared away potential new investors, residents, tourists, etc. with their ranting. Do you honestly want the same for Baltimore when you need to be attracting as many stable middle-class folks back into the city as possible in order to turn the tables on crime?

Believe me SWB, thank God most folks don't take many of these opinions seriously because Baltimore has been experiencing a big boom in population from people moving into the city from other places. My neighbors speak volumes to that. In fact, my entire neighborhood is mostly composed of people who have moved here and happen to like it very much. And, that is the case occuring in many parts of the city.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:40 AM

315 posts, read 1,300,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Believe me SWB, thank God most folks don't take many of these opinions seriously because Baltimore has been experiencing a big boom in population from people moving into the city from other places. My neighbors speak volumes to that. In fact, my entire neighborhood is mostly composed of people who have moved here and happen to like it very much. And, that is the case occuring in many parts of the city.
"Baltimore City was the only jurisdiction in the region that lost population from 1990 to 2004. Of the 24 jurisdictions in the State of Maryland, only Baltimore City and Allegany County saw their populations decline. Following many older northeast central cities, the population of Baltimore City continued to decline. Nearly 100,000 people, 13.5 percent of the 1990 population, moved from the city to newer suburban and exurban locations."
Baltimore Metropolitan Council - Home
So much for the population boom.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:25 AM

5 posts, read 13,818 times
Well from 2004 to present there has been nothing but growth. Hundreds of condos going up on the waterfront in Federal Hill, Canton, and Fells. Plus old houses are being rehabilitated. Downtown where they built the new movie theater is all brand new condos. Even the westside of downtown has all new buildings with condos going up. They just keep coming.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensrule1980 View Post
Well from 2004 to present there has been nothing but growth. Hundreds of condos going up on the waterfront in Federal Hill, Canton, and Fells. Plus old houses are being rehabilitated. Downtown where they built the new movie theater is all brand new condos. Even the westside of downtown has all new buildings with condos going up. They just keep coming.
Building doesn't equal population growth, unfortunately. What is not so obvious is the number of people leaving the city (kind of hard to see that) and the number of people moving from one location to another. Another thing that's hard to estimate is vacancy rates in the new and existing apartments. Just because a building goes up doesn't mean it's full. We've had this discussion before, there are facts on both sides. But unsubstantiated observations don't really support an argument on either side.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:06 AM

7,008 posts, read 11,304,621 times
There was a link in a recent thread that said that Baltimore's population is actually has gone up since the 2000 census. I remember it being a modest gain, but a gain none the less.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
There was a link in a recent thread that said that Baltimore's population is actually has gone up since the 2000 census. I remember it being a modest gain, but a gain none the less.
"Baltimore City was the only jurisdiction in the region that lost population from 1990 to 2004. Of the 24 jurisdictions in the State of Maryland, only Baltimore City and Allegany County saw their populations decline. Following many older northeast central cities, the population of Baltimore City continued to decline. Nearly 100,000 people, 13.5 percent of the 1990 population, moved from the city to newer suburban and exurban locations."
Baltimore Metropolitan Council - Home
So much for the population boom. I'm guessing this info is pretty reliable.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:38 AM

"Baltimore’s economic decline was mirrored and deepened by the widespread deterioration of social conditions. Lacking access to jobs that paid a family supporting wage, significant segments of the population became dependent on public assistance that forced households to choose between financial support and family. Beginning in the 1980s and continuing through the present, the most dynamic sector of Baltimore’s economy has been the trade in heroin, crack cocaine, and other drugs, which provides thousands of households with the means for subsistence and/or solace, albeit at a ruinous social cost. As the middle income families continue to depart in high numbers, Baltimore has become increasingly polarized into two very unequal cities. One Baltimore is populated by a well-to-do and disproportionately white population employed in upper echelons of the service sector living in old money enclaves or newly gentrified neighborhoods around the harbor and sending their kids to private schools. The other Baltimore is largely, though not exclusively, black, poor, and either under- or unemployed, who live in deteriorating neighborhoods located on the peripheries of the urban core which have not benefited from the revival of waterfront neighborhoods and who lack access to the opportunities, services, and supports to improve their lives and those of their children."

by Scot Spencer, Manager of Baltimore Relations, Annie E. Casey Foundation
and Charles Rutheiser, Consultant to the Annie E. Casey Foundation and Diarist for the East Baltimore Project
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore