Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 01:30 PM

5 posts, read 103,203 times

Advertisements

I am sorry, I was referring to Israel from Federal Hill stats. Trying to say hey Federal Hill hires its own off duty police and lets face it ~ is an amazing location and still there is tons of petty crime. I did investigate my area and it is a very quiet area. I knew my biggest hurdle in BALTIMORE would be policing techniques and policies of our City Council .

I found it odd that investigation of two stolen license plates took longer than the investigation of the shot teenage girl. It was a petty crime that became a major source of frustration because the officer insisted on asking "Why didn't they take your other cars tags? , You mean to tell me youi didn't notice the missing tags earlier? ETC ETC. You move to the city, support the tax base, actively participate in community meetings and in return the police officer under pressure of reducing crime statistics hassle you. That is the crap that makes me feel like there is no hope. Again you can't fix what you don't acknowledge

It is an empty feeling to hold A YOUNG girl in your arms after being shot 3 time and the next day~ Nothing! TV News , paper or radio.
This is a quiet neighborhood, isn't it news? So there are two answers. One is that my neighborhood is so dangerous that shootings are a normal occurance or the powers to be would prefer to keep the shooting quiet.

Either one stinks!

Old 09-08-2007, 01:44 PM

1,977 posts, read 6,783,136 times
Default Get the geography right

The more you post, the more confusing your story gets.
Your latest post makes it sound as if you held the shooting victim in your arms; the original post had your husband doing that.
Whatever happened or didn't happen, I hope your problems will be solved.

Last edited by barante; 09-08-2007 at 03:02 PM..

Old 09-08-2007, 02:12 PM

149 posts, read 666,239 times
lisajoy, you just chose a bad place, that doesn't mean the whole city is like that.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:37 PM

5 posts, read 103,203 times
LOL My neighborhood is not statistically dangerous. Check out your own neighborhood by googling online crime mapping Baltimore city. I am Northeast Woodring.
I love Baltimoreans, we go to sleep saying "They live in a bad neighborhood. Im ok" Then it becomes " That is happening 3 blocks away" or " Why was the girl targeted" because we tell ourselves that only people involved in the drug trade are victims of gun violence. Well sorry but lately it has dawned on me that most of America doesn't live this way! Yes even people in other Big cities. Our citizens are murdered for testifying, our police are targeted by thugs, Baltimore just had another firebombing of a citizen that called police on drug dealers. Our soon to be mayor has decided the answer to the problem is beautifying with decorative median strip and turning the slogan BELIEVE to EMBRACE.

This city is an urban tragedy.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:36 AM

11 posts, read 100,725 times
[quote=lisajoy;1435648]. I am not sure what is worst the crime or the treatment of the law abiding citizen.

I agree. Baltimore City Police treat city residents horribly. They make no distinction between decent families and the drug dealers, addicts and criminals who are ruining our communities. They treat EVERYONE with disdain and disrespect.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:01 AM

108 posts, read 306,431 times
I'll be moving to Baltimore in a few weeks. I'm in the urban planning field, and will be working on several public transportation projects at my new job. Though it's easy to dismiss the city as hopeless given its long history of population and economic decline, there are innovative neighborhood and transportation plans in the pipeline (Charles St. trolley, American Brewery, Westside project, JH Biotech park, etc) not to mention financial investments being made in blighted and transitional neighborhoods.

Baltimore has some of the worst neighborhoods in the U.S. On the other hand, the areas that have turned the corner with reinvestment will continue to improve, especially as more educated professionals move into the city. The posters here who deride the city as a 'cesspool' are typically over-emotional due to personal issues or just ignorant of current and future city planning initiatives.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:03 PM

415 posts, read 1,956,725 times
Good, glad you're coming. Fix the pathetic excuse for a mass transit system in Baltimore. 3 different incompatible systems, no direct connection between subway and light rail, the hideous look of the LRVs and the stations, the dark depressing subway stations, poorly run bus routes, it can only go up!
Low profile LRVs, rebuilding of the subway stations, plus a direct link with the light rail (instead of having to walk a couple of blocks), new light rail stations, expansion of the light rail line, improvement on the bus service, all needed.
My experience with Baltimore lends towards the "cesspool" argument, but that's due to my line of work, getting to deal with the worst neighborhoods ALL THE TIME, with the run down buildings, roaches in people's beds (that then get on me... ugh), violence (gang and non-gang related, thank you), and apathy of the citizens, corruption of the government. Is it a wonder that so many have that opinion?
Yes, Hopkins buying up the east end of the city while Univ of MD buys the west end for their respective biotech parks / staff housing can only improve the city, but this is due more to the initiative of private industry rather than any effort by the city government.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:04 PM

7 posts, read 33,496 times
Lisa: I feel your pain. I've lived in Baltimore (in Pigtown) for 27 years. One night, my parents house had their windows shot out by drug dealers who mistook it for the house next door ... which was filled with other drug dealers that they were fighting with.

We called the cops, two cops came ... one cop was taking my mom's statement, the other cop (the senior officer) went into the house next door, stayed in for about 15 minutes, came out with the guys next door laughing and goofing off and told the younger officer to come on, because there was nothing they could do. We even had a witness who knew who shot, and was willing to tell them, but the senior officer refused to take her statement. They didn't even come in to look for the bullets!

The next day, when my mother found the bullets, the cops came for them, just tossed them into a bag and left ... and whenever my mom called for further info, they refused to answer her questions.

I think that's one of the reasons I get so PO'ed when I see a certain person on here singing Pigtown's praises.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:19 PM

689 posts, read 3,206,730 times
Well I'm sorry you had a bad experience here, but I haven't. What would you like me to do -- lie?? I didn't know it was mandatory to add "THIS IS JUST MY OPINION, BUT..." at the beginning of every sentence.

I'm here (on this message board) because I'd like to promote the city to committed, dedicated people who are thinking about moving to Baltimore and perhaps to Pigtown. There are a small handful of streets in this neighborhood I wouldn't walk down even in broad daylight, but in 95% of the rest of the neighborhood, I feel perfectly safe. This evening I went for a walk and had a nice time.

I'm here (in this neighborhood) because it's the place I felt best about when we were looking for places to live back in 2000. I've made some wonderful friends here over the years and have grown to consider some of these folks like family. They look out for me, and I do the same.

So no, I'm not going to say bad things about my neighborhood because every post I write here is based on MY experiences and opinions. If yours have been different, perhaps you want to ask yourself why. There's certainly nothing special about me or the way I conduct my life.

Last edited by carolott; 09-12-2007 at 11:34 PM.. Reason: Wanted to add more because I'm completely annoyed.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:17 AM

7 posts, read 33,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolott View Post
If yours have been different, perhaps you want to ask yourself why. There's certainly nothing special about me or the way I conduct my life.
Carol - Ask myself why? As if it's my fault I've had bad experiences? Ok, let me respond.

My mother grew up in this neighborhood when it was a decent place to live. Everyone in my mother's family lived in this neighborhood ... I've lived in Pigtown since birth, as has my brother.

Neither one of us are intro drugs, however, we've watched our friends go down those paths and get killed, rather ruthlessly.

There is a place on the corner of Washington Blvd and Ostend called "Smittys", which was the corner where for many years all the drug dealers hung out ... one of my brother's friends had his head blown clean off with a shotgun on that corner.

Why were my experiences bad? Because I refused to make or stay friends with drug dealers or junkies, and because of that, I was an outsider.

Anyone that says that Pigtown isn't a Ghetto is living in a dreamworld.

Your experiences here may be wonderous, but don't push Pigtown as if it's a magical fairyland where all your dreams can come true.

I remember when we had to have a huge town meeting, with the mayor, at #34 school because a woman and her husband were walking home at 2am just a few doors down from their friend's house, and two guys jumped out and shot her in the head for 17 cents. And that was *after* they already knew she only had 17 cents.

My brother has been shot at multiple times, not because he's a dealer or anything like that, but because he's walked past the wrong alleys at the wrong time (in broad daylight and at night).

The prostitute problem here is outrageous. The drugs are insane. Practically every month the mobile police trailer unit is parked at the top of my mother's block.

Pigtown may be headed to some massive turnaround, and if so great, but for the entire 27 years I lived there (and I've only just left finally), it's been the scariest place I've ever been to.

My cousin worked at a shop on Washington BLVD not far from yours, which was robbed, at gunpoint, at least practically every month, until she had to quit because she was afraid for her kids.

Pigtown is not a safe place, no matter how you like to push it ... and it's not because of something *I* did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore