Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2008, 03:09 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,810,868 times

Advertisements

Rodgers Forge, just north of the city line and south of Towson, is a sought-after neighborhood of mostly rowhouses. Much of its attraction is due to local public schools. It's difficult to say how much of a premium Rodgers Forge homebuyers pay for that privilege but it must be considerable.
Anyway, I walked through the neighborhood today. My verdict: Rodgers Forge may represent opportunity in today's market for a savvy househunter.
My first stop was Rodgers Forge Rental Apartments at 6808 Blenheim Road (410-409-6679). I was intrigued because my companion's son used to live there but got evicted when the complex was going to be converted into condos. Some of that expenditure is visible in design enhancements that improved the exterior appearance of that 1950/s1960s garden apartment complex. However, the condo conversion didn't fly. So they went rental They did sell a few 2-bedroom units for the asking price of $250,000. A sales rep said one of those units is for resale, reportedly for $183,000.
I a saw a rental model, a spacious 2-bedroom unit with hardwood floors, designer kitchen, central air, W/D, etc. That particular unit was being offered for rent at $1,400 a month. A rep said a one-bedroom unit goes for $1,200. Also, they will have more cheaply rehabbed units going for $1,200 for a 2BR and $1,000 for 1BR, but they are not ready yet. (There are also eight 3BA units but I don't know whether any are available).
My next stop was Rodgers Choice, a new develpment with one car garages on Stevenson Lane (410-377-6896). They are selling a handful of remaining units. A builder's model, with all the bells a whistles, was listed at $499.900 (with some wiggle room, perhaps). However, if you go around you will see that at least two units are already for resale so the price picture may be an interesting one.
Elsewhere in Rodgers Forge there are for sale signs for a number of rowhouses in varying conditions. I saw (exteriorally only) 326 Hopkins Road, a 4BR, 2 1/2 BA rowhouse. A sales brochure suggested a nice and tasteful rehab. Asking price: 324,900.
My take: I have no idea as to where the market is going. But if good schools and proximity to Towson and the city center are important, Rodgers Forge may present opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 03:32 PM

1,161 posts, read 2,449,179 times
Some years ago we used to call it Divorce Forge, for when a Roland Park or Guilford couple got divorced, the mother and kids usually downsized to Rodger's Forge. The houses were reasonable, in a good location, and handy to the private schools and friends in the old neighborhood.

It's a pleasant community, but I agree that people are paying a premium to live in houses that are no different from other rowhouse communities off Northern Parkway east of York Road, or in Loch Raven.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:45 PM

171 posts, read 622,257 times
Default Very interesting and useful post, as usual...

The info provided here is very helpful. I really enjoy reading these kinds of posts. I recently purchased a rehab in Patterson Park, and like everybody else, I wonder if I made a reasonable deal or did I overpay. In any event, I am happy with the new place and have no buyer's remorse- so the deal must be right for me.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:26 AM

689 posts, read 3,216,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie View Post
The info provided here is very helpful. I really enjoy reading these kinds of posts. I recently purchased a rehab in Patterson Park, and like everybody else, I wonder if I made a reasonable deal or did I overpay. In any event, I am happy with the new place and have no buyer's remorse- so the deal must be right for me.
You only overpaid if you hate the neighborhood or the house. Otherwise, "value" is subjective, and from the looks of things -- you seem pretty happy here...which is awesome. Go Augie!!!!

Plus, real estate (like everything else) is cyclical. If you plan on staying for the long haul, it was a good investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: