Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 12:20 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,899,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsMass View Post
Towson has become pretty ghetto these days. I wouldn't agree that it and Ellicott City are very similar. That being said, Ellicott City is too far and painful a commute.

You might want to consider buying in Northern Baltimore County, perhaps off of Ashland or Paper Mill Road. Hunt Valley has still retained a niceness, generally, and the commute would be all of 10 minutes.
Wow, you are just on a roll today!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 11:27 PM

332 posts, read 1,279,939 times
Depending on the time of the commute and where in Towson and EC you would live then it should take you anywhere 30 - 50 minutes. There is a lot of traffic near Towson and near 695. The problem is the accidents, and construction. There is usually something happening on 695. I would definitely look closer to Towson even though the commute to Towson is reasonable IMO, it just isn't necessary unless there is another reason that you want to live in Howard County or EC. If you are choosing based off of schools, Towson does have some overcrowded schools but some of the schools in Howard County are crowded also. You get no school choice in Howard, you are stuck with what you get. In general the schools are good and the ones in EC seem to rank better than most in Howard or Maryland but you could be redistricted so keep this in mind.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:11 PM

764 posts, read 1,656,418 times
If you stay on the northern edge of Howard County (close to Rt 40), you'll be fine with all the schools and would have Howard HS (not the top of the pack, but then you won't pay an extra $40-$50k premium for Centennial).

If you can work from home a few days, I'd recommend EC. I have neighbors who do that commute. But, I would really take a look in Hunt Valley if you're going in to Towson everyday.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:20 AM

10 posts, read 21,620 times
Thanks for all your responses. I am still looking for good elementary schools and nearby apartments for rent, in and around Towson. Any suggestions/recommendations on that would be highly appreciated.
Thanks once again!

Old 02-27-2012, 10:39 AM

698 posts, read 1,051,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esby View Post
Thanks for all your responses. I am still looking for good elementary schools and nearby apartments for rent, in and around Towson. Any suggestions/recommendations on that would be highly appreciated.
Thanks once again!

i grew up in baltimore ( towson area ) and lived there until ten years ago. my husband taught in the towson/timonium area for many years, and retired in the late 90s. although i feel i still know the area rather well as i still travel there often and have friends who live and work in that area, my information may not be as current as someone who is living there now.

my husband and i lived in ellicott city during the last ten years he taught in timonium, and, even 15 years ago it was usually a tough commute, for the reasons already given- accidents, road work, excessive traffic on those parts of the beltway he'd have to travel.

as far as schools, rodgers forge elementary, dumbarton middle, and towson senior have been the stars in that area for many years and from what i understand, still are. most of the rodgers forge townhomes ( a very nice, convenient neighborhood ) are in that school district and there are usually some available to rent. i don't know about costs. anneslie ( another neighborhood close by ) has single homes- bungalows, cape cods, some small colonials-and are also in that school district ; they would probably have some rentals. again i don't know what prices are.

i grew up in that general area and went to those schools- many, many years ago. they have always had a good reputation and the neighborhoods surrounding them are still considered to be very desirable. i'm certain there are other "towson" neighborhoods that would be a good match as well, but these are the ones with which i'm most familiar.i don't think you could go wrong with this area.

good luck in making your decisions.

catsy girl

Old 02-27-2012, 06:14 PM

10 posts, read 21,620 times
Hello catsy girl, thank you for your response and all the details that you gave about the Towson area. It was very helpful and informative and it helps make my decision much easier.
Thank you!

Old 03-01-2012, 05:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,505 times
Esby -

Whatever you do do not commute from EC to Towson, this is a commute from Hell. Route 70 is terrible in the morning and evening as is 695

Towson has some nice neighborhoods as does Lutherville, Ruxton. and Timonium. Rogers Forge might be another alternative.

I believe what the one poster was referring to was downtown Towson which has been experiencing a bit of malaise, closed stores, bad elements hanging about, but there are a lot of nice neighborhoods in Towson too.

Why subject yourself to the commute from hell when there are much better alternatives close by?

Old 03-01-2012, 09:27 PM

653 posts, read 945,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esby View Post
I am thinking of moving from the Mid-west to work in Towson, MD. Based on various forums, I think Ellicott City would be a nice place for me & my family to move to.
How is the morning commute from Ellicott City to Towson ? Google Maps says 33 minutes. Is that a good estimate, or is there lot of traffic ?

Thanks.
Unless you enjoy very long commutes or can drive to work during non-rush hour times, I'd recommend living much closer to Towson. The Towson area is notoriously congested during rush hour, even moreso than the rest of the beltway. They're also doing highway construction which, who knows when it will be complete, that will also add to your drive time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore