Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 08:55 AM

4 posts, read 7,342 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband and I are moving to the Baltimore area for work, my workplace is located in Timonium. I need help narrowing down my area-apartment search. Based on research I've done so far, I am considering the following options.

21204: West Towson
Apartment: Versailles(located very close to GBMC, Towson library)
21209: Mt Washington
Apartment: IvyMount
21208: Pikesville
Apartment: The Estates(West of the beltway, off of the Reisterstown Rd)

I looked at apartments in Cockeysville/Hunts valley, but did not like any.

I wanted to know how the areas are from a safety, quality of life, traffic and accessibility point of view. If anyone has any idea about the apartments mentioned that would also be a great help.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 09:33 AM

866 posts, read 2,618,947 times
Ivymount apartments are decent, from what I've heard. They're kind of tucked back in the woods, and Mount Washington is very green. You don't feel like you're in the city.

I lived in 21204 for a short time. Decent apartments, but you will see a lot of Towson students, depending on the complex.

Pikesville west of the beltway would start adding some time onto your commute.

Where will your husband be working?

Old 02-23-2012, 10:44 AM

Thanks for the response. My husbands work location is not fixed yet. So I don't want to go too far from the city.
I chose Mt Washington because of the country feel inspite of being in the city. Towson seems to be a good mix of residential areas plus city feel. I am just not too sure how safe and family friendly is 21204? I guess I am looking at things like, can I take a walk in the neighbourhood without having to worry. York Rd can be quite busy.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:01 PM

42 posts, read 129,132 times
As far as safety, 21204 is very safe, and very family friendly, unless you think the end of the world is coming like some idiots on here, but there isn't much to walk to easily from Versaille, except the college. It would be around 1 mile or more to most restaurants or shops. Based on what I have heard, it is a decent place to rent though. As with any apartment, it really all depends on your neighbors.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:00 PM

187 posts, read 360,653 times
West Towson, anything 21204 is going to be civilized, and on paper the most practical commute. Ivymount is definitely the nicest of the three, and the drive would not be taxing, utilizing Falls Rd, or even 83 north (which is great in the mornings).

Can't vouch for the The Estates, although I know west of Reisterstown Rd can be shady in areas, and it makes the least sense for someone working off the York Rd corridor.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:42 PM

537 posts, read 764,792 times
I live in Mt. Washington (21209). It is very safe and quiet. I hate my current apartment community however (not IvyMount), so I was considering The Estates. The Estates are gated, and that area of Pikesville is right on the border of iffy for me. I do not feel unsafe in that area, but you do feel the environment change just by crossing the street. But that's Baltimore for you.

If I worked in Timonium, I think your commute would probably work for you if you live in Baltimore. From my observation, most traffic is going west on 695 in the AM, and traffic going toward Towson is light. Now if you're trying to get on 83 in the morning....there is a lot of crazy traffic going toward Timonium and south on 83 in the mornings. I get the S83 (downtown)....I don't get the N83 traffic at all. If I worked in Timonium and I lived in Pikesville or Mt. Washington, I'd get on 695 east, hug the inner lanes until I passed the 83/695 merger, and have a relatively nice, rather leisurely drive (compared to what's going on in the opposite direction).

Living in Towson and working in Timonium is probably the easiest commute of the three, though.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:38 PM

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I think I'll be choosing between Mt Washington and Towson. The apartment complex would probably be the deciding factor plus whether utilities are gas or electric, since I gather utility costs can be quite high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore