Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2012, 11:17 PM

2 posts, read 5,699 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Baltimore for a new job this summer. I don't have many contacts in MD, and have only been to Baltimore once (for the job interview). I'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed with this relocation, since I know so little about the city.

1. How is the public transportation? Do most people drive? Is it possible to get by without a car?
2. What time(s) of day does "rush hour" include?
3. Housing options that allows easy commute to Hopkins main hospital?
4. 24-hour gym suggestions?
5. General advice for new transplants to Baltimore?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions/comments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 06:04 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,597,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimore Newbie View Post
I will be moving to Baltimore for a new job this summer. I don't have many contacts in MD, and have only been to Baltimore once (for the job interview). I'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed with this relocation, since I know so little about the city.

1. How is the public transportation? Do most people drive? Is it possible to get by without a car?
2. What time(s) of day does "rush hour" include?
4. 24-hour gym suggestions?

I suggest a bit of searching and browsing this site and others for information.
1. Public transportation sucks compared to places like DC, NYC, Boston. But, better than most cities. There is a light rail line, metro, heavy rail to DC, buses, water taxis. I go to and from work walking and transit. If you are working at Hopkins main hospital campus, it's definitely doable without a car. There is a metro stop right there. But, it would depend on where you would be coming from.
2. The interstates around town get clogged quite frequently but not as bad as other east coast cities. Driving around town has never been to much of a hassle for me.
3. If working at Hopkins, neighborhoods to consider would be Butchers Hill, Patterson Park, Canton, Fells Point, and others south of Fayette. That would mean a walk to work unless late at night-I would suggest a cab.
4. Lots of Gym options in the neighborhoods mentioned.
5. General advice: If you are from a small town in Kansas, hold on to your hat--it's going to be a bumpy ride. If you are from another large city--you'll find your way and be fine.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:56 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,514,699 times
Quote:

1. How is the public transportation? Do most people drive? Is it possible to get by without a car?!
It's possible but not fun. I did it for awhile. MTA is horribly run (I know everyone complains about their transit service, but I really mean it about MTA). Some of the very frequent bus routes do work well, however, and the light rail and metro subway are pretty reliable as well - though there is a disconnect in usefulness with these lines. The city has recently begun operating a free bus service called the Charm City Circulator which shuttles yuppies through the favored quarters . It's a pretty good service, with smartphone apps telling you when the next bus will come (something MTA is probably 10 years away from implementing).

If you are traveling on one of the major corridors during regular business hours, it's usually fine. If you bike, the buses have bike racks. That's how I commute when it's nice. I know the system really well, so PM me if you have any specific questions.

Quote:
2. What time(s) of day does "rush hour" include?!
Totally dependent upon your origin and destination.

Quote:
Hopkins runs many shuttles around town. My roommate works at the main hosptial and uses the shuttle from the Hopkins Eastern Campus. There are others. Just google "Hopkins Shuttle" for the routes.

Quote:
4. 24-hour gym suggestions? ?
Mine is not 24 so I don't know. Hopkins may offer something on their campus at the hospital or their Homewood campus.

Quote:

Don't expect Paris. Don't leave electronics in your car (if you have one). Give yourself six months to adjust. It's a weird place but if you search for your niche you'll find it. Lots of good people here. Try to step out of the "hopkins bubble" from time to time.

Welcome!

Old 03-17-2012, 11:29 AM

775 posts, read 1,784,748 times
Best 24 hour gym is Merritt on Boston St. Plenty of on site parking, pool, classes, 2 levels of machines, etc.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,699 times
Thanks for the replys. Exactly what I was looking for. I'm not coming from Kansas, but another small-town equivalent. It's going to be quite an adjustment.

One of the things I'm most worried about (and keep reading/hearing about) is the crime rate. I'm hoping to bring my dog with me, but not if I can't safely take him for walks! I usually walk my dog early AM or late PM, dictated by work schedule. Is this going to be an issue in Baltimore? Any neighborhoods that would be safe for walking/jogging after sunset, or am I just asking for trouble if I'm out at night?

Old 03-17-2012, 01:37 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
or am I just asking for trouble if I'm out at night?
It depends on how big your dog is! Seriously, in some neighborhoods people use pit bulls and mastiffs for protection.

Jonjj gave you some good recommendations on neighborhoods. If you want to verify the information, you could the forum for safe neighborhoods in Baltimore. The question get asked every few weeks.

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-17-2012 at 02:22 PM..

Old 03-18-2012, 03:20 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,597,462 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replys. Exactly what I was looking for. I'm not coming from Kansas, but another small-town equivalent. It's going to be quite an adjustment.

One of the things I'm most worried about (and keep reading/hearing about) is the crime rate. I'm hoping to bring my dog with me, but not if I can't safely take him for walks! I usually walk my dog early AM or late PM, dictated by work schedule. Is this going to be an issue in Baltimore? Any neighborhoods that would be safe for walking/jogging after sunset, or am I just asking for trouble if I'm out at night?
I live in the Patterson Park neighborhood on Baltimore Street. I have three dogs and walk them very early in the morning-soon after 5am and haven't had any issue. I see others walking them at that time. Lots of folks walking them after work and jogging which is why I walk mine in the morning. If you have a dog, this is a great area with the park is such close proximity.

Welcome to Patterson Park, Baltimore's Best Neighborhood!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: