Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 05:14 PM

501 posts, read 1,161,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-74 View Post
Just FYI for those who didn't grow up here, Maryland is so built up there really isn't a "central" anything. People who live in "towns" generally use a major street to divide one named area from the next area.

Some towns have a "main" part, but that might consist of a mini mall and a couple gas stations and maybe an apartment complex or two. The only places that have any sort of downtown are Baltimore, Annapolis and Towson. Since there's no separation, everything pretty much merges into the next town unless you go out into the sticks.

This is not entirely true... almost every place in MD has some sort of center, but they tend to be along one road or "strip". Dundalk has Merritt Boulevard, Essex has Back River Neck Road and also Eastern Avenue/ Boulevard. Other places across the state such as Hagerstown, Chesapeake City, you name it, all have main roads that act like their "centers".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 07:53 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy99 View Post
This is not entirely true... almost every place in MD has some sort of center, but they tend to be along one road or "strip". Dundalk has Merritt Boulevard, Essex has Back River Neck Road and also Eastern Avenue/ Boulevard. Other places across the state such as Hagerstown, Chesapeake City, you name it, all have main roads that act like their "centers".
However both Hagerstown and Ches City are incorporated cities (Ches. City might be a town, I dunno) whereas there are no incoporated communities in Baltimore County. Perhaps that was the distinction the author was trying to make?

Old 04-05-2012, 08:15 PM

167 posts, read 170,119 times
Lightbulb Help for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenpie View Post
I've heard some bad things, not sure if they're just rumors. Just looking for a realistic description of the positives and negatives of moving to this area. I will be living near the college (CCBC) so I will be fairly close to/possibly in Rosedale so I will need some more info on that area as well. Thanks!
Rosedale is pretty decent, but if you venture into Essex you may encounter some issues. Baltimore County police tend to be busier in the downtown section of Essex, especially since it is next to Baltimore City. There are decent small banks and restaurants if you want to skip fast food joints and eat locally cooked cuisine; there is a local diner near the bank I use which has some really good food.

Driving into the city can be fun when the waste water treatment plant is cycling the pumps...hold your nose!

Old 04-05-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
However both Hagerstown and Ches City are incorporated cities (Ches. City might be a town, I dunno) whereas there are no incoporated communities in Baltimore County. Perhaps that was the distinction the author was trying to make?
That's true, I guess that could be... but still, ever spent time in Essex or Dundalk? There are definitely centers... although more strips along certain main arteries. Dundalk has the old shopping center and Heritage Park, along with Merritt Boulevard.... Essex has "downtown" Essex commercial strip along Eastern Blvd, and Josenhan's Corner on Back River Neck Road (to a lesser extent). Traditional "town-like" centers... I guess that is a rarity in the Baltimore region. Ellicott City comes to mind.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cady View Post
Rosedale is pretty decent, but if you venture into Essex you may encounter some issues. Baltimore County police tend to be busier in the downtown section of Essex, especially since it is next to Baltimore City. There are decent small banks and restaurants if you want to skip fast food joints and eat locally cooked cuisine; there is a local diner near the bank I use which has some really good food.

Driving into the city can be fun when the waste water treatment plant is cycling the pumps...hold your nose!

Eh, I'd have to disagree to an extent and reverse that. Rosedale is worse than Essex. The whole strip along Philadelphia Road is horrible, and it branches off of that. Essex is not next to Baltimore at all. Dundalk is (the Golden "Eggs" are in Dundalk! Anything across the bridge is Dundalk... but yes, hold your nose, especially because it's starting to warm up outside!). The only sketchy parts of Essex are actually near the apartment complexes in the physical "center" of Essex. If you look Essex up on Google maps, the area between Eastern Ave and Back River Neck Road isn't the best. Anything along the water is fine, and anything past the Food Lion going towards Rocky Point Park is definitely safe.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:45 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy99 View Post
That's true, I guess that could be... but still, ever spent time in Essex or Dundalk? There are definitely centers... although more strips along certain main arteries. Dundalk has the old shopping center and Heritage Park, along with Merritt Boulevard.... Essex has "downtown" Essex commercial strip along Eastern Blvd, and Josenhan's Corner on Back River Neck Road (to a lesser extent). Traditional "town-like" centers... I guess that is a rarity in the Baltimore region. Ellicott City comes to mind.
I have, and I agree.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:32 PM

41 posts, read 117,289 times
I have researched several apartments that seem to be safe, clean and fairy decent in general. So far I have Cherry Tree, Kenwood Park, White Spring Crossing, & Fox Hall on my list to consider/check out when I visit. Does anyone know ANYTHING at all about these apartments?

Old 04-09-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenpie View Post
I have researched several apartments that seem to be safe, clean and fairy decent in general. So far I have Cherry Tree, Kenwood Park, White Spring Crossing, & Fox Hall on my list to consider/check out when I visit. Does anyone know ANYTHING at all about these apartments?
Every one of those apartments you listed have plenty of reviews that come up with a simple Google search.

I would not suggest Kenwood Park... too close to the rough area around Golden Ring anyway.

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate...rtments.html#b

Old 04-10-2012, 02:19 PM

53 posts, read 136,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Yes, That was the idea. I'm just trying to say that the ring of towns around the beltway have no real centers, and I wouldn't consider a shopping mall (even on WITH all the anchor realtors) to a mile of stores along a road to be a "center".

The towns also merge into each other. It's not like going out West where you clearly have a town (whether it's just an intersection or more than that) and then a long stretch of farmland or desert in-between. An outsider here would have no idea they're changing towns most of the time.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 3,934 times
I have a question, regarding Essex, MD.... Is anybody familar with the townhomes Walnut Grove or Foxridge ini Essex, Md. considering moving to one of them???? any advice or pertient info for a couple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore