Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Elkridge vs Catonsville vs Arbutus - which would you choose?
Elkridge 7 33.33%
Catonsville 12 57.14%
Arbutus (includes Halethorpe and Relay) 2 9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 11:01 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

Elkridge vs Catonsville vs Arbutus - which would you choose?

In an effort to understand these communities better. If you were to choose one in which to live, which would you choose? Why? If there is one you definitely would not live in, why not?

Also from my understanding, Arbutus includes Halethorpe and Relay? Is that right? Reading the census, it apparently does.

I'll also create a poll for this one.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 04-03-2012 at 11:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 08:21 AM

764 posts, read 1,657,121 times
If I had kids, I'd pick Elkridge (in the area by the Timbers at Troy golf course) because of the schools in Howard County and the best little preschool at Grace Episcopal. A new elementary school in 2013 and a new Middle school in 2015 in that part of the county.

If I had kids and was rich, I'd pick a large lot in Catonsville (down the street from the Patapsco state park or around the area of Oella) send them to Trinity/St. John's in EC or some other private school.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:58 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
I'd pick Catonsvile because of the character of the houses and access to facilities like the library and pools. It also has the one of the best rated high schools in baltimore County.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:20 PM

251 posts, read 721,790 times
I've worked with schools in both Arbutus and Catonsville. If you have a kid with special needs, Arbutus is the easy choice. If you have a kid who needs more challenging work I'd go with Catonsville. If schools aren't the driving concern, Catonsville is probably the most lively suburb and has better amenities, but it doesn't have the transit to DC that Arbutus does.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:07 PM

286 posts, read 689,138 times
Elkridge

Old 04-07-2012, 05:35 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
I'm familiar with all those areas....lived all over Arbutus, Relay, Halethorpe (and Lansdowne) and went to HS in Catonsville (class of 66).

There's quite a variety of housing and neighborhoods in all three, so it's really hard to say which is better.

Arbutus zip code is 21227 which includes Relay, St Denis, Halethorpe, Lansdowne, Riverview and Baltimore Highlands, the latter 3 I'd forget as they are a bit rougher and less desirable.

My favorite is Relay...it's like a place that time forgot...you can walk down to the MARC Camden Line stop and be in Arbutus, Halethorpe or even old Elkridge (on US-1) in 2-4 minutes via local roads.

Arbutus is also in a bit of a time warp as its access to both the Beltway and I-95 are a bit limited, considered a saving grace by many. I was there in March and visited my favorite eats (Snyder's in Linthicum for crab cakes) and Mike's in Arbutus for the Italian Cold Cut sub (with everything!).

Both Arbutus and Halethorpe are a great location for anyone needing the MARC Penn Line, with a huge lot on SW Blvd (Alt US-1). Both areas have lots of big old 2-story homes (Craftsman and/or Bunaglow styles) that people like to modernize. Catonsville has even bigger nicer old homes too.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-10-2012 at 08:59 AM..

Old 04-10-2012, 02:22 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I'm familiar with all those areas....lived all over Arbutus, Relay, Halethorpe (and Lansdowne) and went to HS in Catonsville.

There's quite a variety of housing and neighborhoods in all three, so it's really hard to say which is better.
On the variety of housing and neighborhoods in all three. I quite like the Oella area of Catonsville. I did like the downtown too of Catonsville, but for looking at housing, the hills of Catonsville certainly won out, particularly closer to the Ellicott City border.

Is there anything quite like that in Arbutus, Relay, Halethorpe, or Elkridge? I'm going to guess that Arbutus and Halethorpe are a bit too built up. Already close together with homes (which I like too, but in a different way).

However, Elkridge, even the name implies there are ridges where elk must have once roamed. Are there some parts of Elkridge that has a bit of Oella look and feel - meaning the hills, with some houses built into them a bit.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:49 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Tiger, yes, there are small parts of Arbutus that have the hills, more so in Relay and Halethorpe.

I know Oella, and Frederick Road west of Rolling Road, and they are the better place for the hilly look. The areas along Rolling Road, north and west of Catonsville HS, also fit that description.

Among the places I suggested, Relay is the place that really comes closest, just north of the CSX Railroad line, where MARC's Camden Line trains run. In addition to the streets just north of the CSX tracks, there is a big hill there along Francis Avenue, from the same Rolling Road and going east towards Halethorpe and Arbutus. Lots of big old homes there on wooded lots.

Halethorpe has some hills too, but although the old houses can be big, they don't have quite the character of Catonsville. If you can visualize, think of Catonsville as having larger lots, more trees and dark cedar shake shingles on the exterior (cozy looking) and for Halethorpe try to visualize smaller lots, fewer and smaller trees, and light-colored asbestos shingles on the exterior (more old-school upper working class utilitarian looking).

There are some areas of Elkridge that have the hills too, but again, I give Catonsville the edge. Elkridge takes in a lot of area and there are all sorts of choices.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-08-2013 at 09:39 PM..

Old 12-07-2013, 09:58 PM

46 posts, read 72,952 times
I would choose catonsville, because this is where I plan to move

Old 12-08-2013, 10:43 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,092,838 times
I don't live too far from Catonsville or Arbutus. If you want to spend allot of money for a rental or a home then Catonsville is for you. Parts of Catonsville are gorgeous. Arbutus is a little bit cheaper and less pretty, but it might be the best bet. I live just in the city on the West side because its significantly cheaper and still close to everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore