Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 03:22 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by End-User View Post
A caucasian person who identifies as female but possess a y-chromosome (and allegedly the organ to go with it) entered the women's restroom in McDonalds. This person was then brutally attacked and called a man by 2 african american females (one a minor) while other employees laughed and recorded the attack on phone cameras. The video went viral and garnered national media attention. As far as I know the perps were not charded with a hate crime despite the attack being motivated by gender and orientation.
And.... this particular attack did not occur in the city; but rather the county
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 07:36 AM

187 posts, read 363,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
That area is known for violence....
I grew up in Boston, and I swear, that area reminds me of the Combat Zone during the 70's and 80's.
You're crazy. That's downtown. It's one of the few pockets we have! If you think that area is a combat zone, I can't imagine what you'd call the actual areas where violence occurs in this city.

The real reason police aren't able to be on every single corner in every neighborhood is because the real areas of violence are already too intense for the department's resources. Unusual incidents of, as you said, audacious teenagers acting up, is not the most priority concern. Truly, I'd love for the BPD to receive more money, but I do believe that for them it's a matter of spreading their resources where they can.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:48 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
LiveLeak.com - Man robbed and knocked out while being sexually harassed

Could someone outraged about the Trayvon Martin incident explain to me the following:

1. Why isn't this being addressed by the race hustlers (Jesse Jackson, Sharpton, Obama, etc.)

2. Explain to me why the world wouldn't be a better place without each and every one of these kids in the video.

Thanks in advance.
1. You already know the answer to that unfortunately
2. That's not necessarily true. I believe there is hope for everyone. The problem is people have grown up being told that they are nothing and that they will never be nothing. That's what they believe, which is why they do stupid things like this.

As far as the video is concerned, I've heard people screaming hate crime, and let me say I absolutely hate that stupid law. When people are attacked, it's not out of love, so you can argue hate crime on just about anything. I think as horrible as the people in the video are for doing this, why was this guy out 2 am in the morning by himself drunk? What was he expecting? He should make better decisions, but at the same time I hope they get these jokers and put them away for a long time, with the girls included. I believe they are just a culpable in this situation as well the people who attacked him.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:58 PM

759 posts, read 1,356,024 times
pgtitans wrote: " I think as horrible as the people in the video are for doing this, why was this guy out 2 am in the morning by himself drunk? What was he expecting? He should make better decisions..."

His post shows us what is really wrong with Baltimore. Check out this Baltimore Sun article: Internet shock video helps Baltimore police find victim, possible suspect - Baltimore Sun

Turns out the poor sap was an out of town tourist who had decided to visit Baltimore to spend his hard earned money at the city's hotels, restaurants and bars for the St. Patrick's Day weekend. He was right in downtown, in front of a courthouse, in a touristy district not known for violent crime. The city administrators know that the St. Patrick's festivities have become a large moneymaking draw for the city-check out the special accommodations they provide for the event, particularly in Fells Point, Canton and the Inner Harbor.
"why was this guy out 2 am in the morning by himself drunk?" He was walking back to his hotel in Mt Vernon after the bars closed.
" What was he expecting?" He sure as hell wasn't expecting to be beaten senseless, sexually assaulted, robbed and stripped naked. As an out-of-towner it's unlikely he would be familiar with the all too typical behavior of the local indigenous population, particularly in what is touted as a safe area for tourists and conventioneers.
" He should make better decisions..." Like what? Staying the hell out of Baltimore? Choosing to spend his money somewhere other than our fair city, which desperately needs it?
As depressing as this poster's comments were, it's nearly as bad that the BPD had to wait until the video went viral to even address the attack. The victim had reported it the next day, tho' remembering little of the assault-repeated blows to the head can have that effect.
What I find most distressing, and maybe I'm just a little jaded, is my belief that it is unlikely the BPD will prosecute the attackers, or even make any significant effort to locate them. The city would much prefer this event just fade away, even tho' it is a textbook definition of a hate crime. The victim was attacked because he was a white man, plain and simple, the attackers' comments indicate just that. But in Baltimore, there is no such thing as black racial hatred. Just ask Pat Jessamy.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
pgtitans wrote: " I think as horrible as the people in the video are for doing this, why was this guy out 2 am in the morning by himself drunk? What was he expecting? He should make better decisions..."

His post shows us what is really wrong with Baltimore. Check out this Baltimore Sun article: Internet shock video helps Baltimore police find victim, possible suspect - Baltimore Sun

Turns out the poor sap was an out of town tourist who had decided to visit Baltimore to spend his hard earned money at the city's hotels, restaurants and bars for the St. Patrick's Day weekend. He was right in downtown, in front of a courthouse, in a touristy district not known for violent crime. The city administrators know that the St. Patrick's festivities have become a large moneymaking draw for the city-check out the special accommodations they provide for the event, particularly in Fells Point, Canton and the Inner Harbor.
It doesn't matter. He's in a city that he is clearly unfamiliar with by himself walking out at night. Anything can happen, even in the 'nice' areas.

Quote:
"why was this guy out 2 am in the morning by himself drunk?" He was walking back to his hotel in Mt Vernon after the bars closed.
Walking? Either you need to get a new prescription or you didn't see the video I saw. I saw a guy standing around and having girls dance on him. If he was walking the girls wouldn't be dancing on him, would they?

Quote:
" What was he expecting?" He sure as hell wasn't expecting to be beaten senseless, sexually assaulted, robbed and stripped naked. As an out-of-towner it's unlikely he would be familiar with the all too typical behavior of the local indigenous population, particularly in what is touted as a safe area for tourists and conventioneers.
And he shouldn't have, but you don't go to a crack house looking for nuns. If you are unfamiliar with the place you are at, then you don't put yourself in a position to be out by yourself and intoxicated. It's common sense. You don't have your facilities in a place that you aren't familiar with, but you don't think that he did anything wrong? Come on man you are not even making sense.

Quote:
" He should make better decisions..." Like what? Staying the hell out of Baltimore? Choosing to spend his money somewhere other than our fair city, which desperately needs it?
Like having someone with you at least, or not wearing an expensive watch out for people to see, or not stopping to let some girls dance on you. Let's just face facts, the guy doesn't have a lot of street smarts. A blind squirrel can see it was a set up.

Quote:
As depressing as this poster's comments were, it's nearly as bad that the BPD had to wait until the video went viral to even address the attack. The victim had reported it the next day, tho' remembering little of the assault-repeated blows to the head can have that effect.
Depressing? Are you from Baltimore? I'm not saying that what happened to him is right but don't you think it's naive to think that it's not possible for something bad to happen in this situation? Who walks in the middle of a city that they don't know, drunk, with expensive jewelry, by themselves, 2 am at night? Even the safest areas aren't that safe to do that. This is a huge highly dense city, not some town in the country, people from good and bad areas are close enough to these places to cause problems.

Quote:
What I find most distressing, and maybe I'm just a little jaded, is my belief that it is unlikely the BPD will prosecute the attackers, or even make any significant effort to locate them. The city would much prefer this event just fade away, even tho' it is a textbook definition of a hate crime. The victim was attacked because he was a white man, plain and simple, the attackers' comments indicate just that. But in Baltimore, there is no such thing as black racial hatred. Just ask Pat Jessamy.
What is a hate crime? People don't use violence out of love. If I commit an act of violence towards someone then you could argue everytime that it's a hate crime. It's just stupid.

Your argument about what they said shows how stupid this is. What if they didn't say anything at all to him, does that mean it's not hate? How do you distinguish the difference between a hate and non-hate crime?

Old 04-10-2012, 05:30 PM

759 posts, read 1,356,024 times
So your response is, "Blame the victim, he certainly deserved what he got. What a moron to come to Baltimore. He should expect this treatment. The Mitchell Courthouse is a well known crack house and epicenter of violence, especially on holidays. Anyone with "street smarts" should anticipate being beaten down, robbed and stripped when visiting Charm City. Tourists should realize that every encounter with native Baltimoreans is merely a prelude to an act of profound violence."
Jeez, and I thought I was jaded.
And yeah, I'm in Baltimore City, not P.G. Google Gardenville.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:46 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
There is no need to blame the victim here. What he was doing or why he was doing it is no one's business but his as long as he was not hurting anyone. Do you tell a rape victim that she shouldn't have went to a party and got drunk? I mean, what was she thinking! Look, people do what the do because they do not think any harm will come of it. Simple as that. What does it matter if "this is Baltimore! He should have known better!" Why? Why not say that those chumps should have acted in a more respectable manner.

What ever his reasons, where ever he was, it still doesn't take away that he did not deserve to be attacked, and also did not deserve to have his face all over the Internet. Perhaps it is a good thing this guy doesn't remember much from that night, but c'mon, how embarrassed do you think this guy is now that this garbage has gone viral?

Old 04-10-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
So your response is, "Blame the victim, he certainly deserved what he got. What a moron to come to Baltimore. He should expect this treatment. The Mitchell Courthouse is a well known crack house and epicenter of violence, especially on holidays. Anyone with "street smarts" should anticipate being beaten down, robbed and stripped when visiting Charm City. Tourists should realize that every encounter with native Baltimoreans is merely a prelude to an act of profound violence."
Jeez, and I thought I was jaded.
And yeah, I'm in Baltimore City, not P.G. Google Gardenville.
Not surprised you're from Baltimore.

Anyway I never said it was his fault, I just said he should not have been there and he should not be surprised about what happened. Of course these people are without question wrong for this. Why would you take what I said that way? Must be that good old Baltimore City education

Old 04-10-2012, 06:18 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Not surprised you're from Baltimore.

Anyway I never said it was his fault, I just said he should not have been there and he should not be surprised about what happened. Of course these people are without question wrong for this. Why would you take what I said that way? Must be that good old Baltimore City education
Normally the "he should have known better" line isn't used tongue in cheek to point out the danger of the city. The tactic is more often used to explain away violence by painting the victim as someone "deserving" of the crime, and thus allowing everyone else to feel safer in a place where profoundly bad things happen regularly.

"That can't happen to me, I know better than to walk outside or keep a shiny nickel in my car."

Go back in the archives and check out the threads about the 4th of July stabbing at the Inner Harbor. For every person agast that a tourist had his throat slashed and bled out in the tourist area on a holiday, there was a poster saying "what do you expect, he picked a fight with a guy from B-more."

For what is worth, I picked up on your sarcasm.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:21 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
Quote:
I just said he should not have been there
I would agree. It's probably a mistake for tourists in general to visit Baltimore, as long as the city refuses to get its crime situation under control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore