Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 06:54 AM

7,487 posts, read 7,153,979 times

Advertisements

No, not looking to commute to our existing jobs. Maybe initially during the transition, but definitely not looking at a permanent commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If you have you gotten past that whole "the job comes first and determines which city" question...
so you are now looking to commute to your existing DC jobs from the Baltimore area...

You'll find that pretty much all of Baltimore is Gay "tolerant" with some areas
(like the ones you listed above with bigger Gay populations) are out and out Gay "friendly".

All that said... when looking for a place to make your new home in B'more...
focus on the MARC line down to DC commute issues ahead of anything else.

In that vein... "vacation" in B'more for some weekday stays and do the commute thing.
Find a few motels in different areas and see exactly what you're up against to make it work logistically
and then what your evening life is like after you're "home" and done the daily grind.

hth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 02:45 PM

553 posts, read 1,706,408 times
If you work in defense contracting, I can't think of a reason why you'd want to move to Philadelphia or to Raleigh, irrespective of the qualities which may make them desirable for your relocation situation.

This is especially true looking forward, as defense budgets get cut. If I were in your shoes, and planned on remaining in that industry, I'd want to be close to the federal government.

That said, traffic is the only real downside to living in Baltimore (city or county) for the places you mentioned. I live in Baltimore and my work is in Northern VA (fortunately I can telecommute most of the time), and I'm not going to make any point about the commute.

What you should consider is that traffic in Baltimore is bad and getting worse. There was an important 10 year study recently about traffic trends nationally, and by 2020 Baltimore was #1 on the list, due to expected population and job growth but lack of any decent infrastructure. On another traffic study I recall Baltimore was either #2 or #3 by 2020, behind Chicago maybe?

Yes, Baltimore will eventually be far worse than northern VA. Compared to the DC area, Baltimore lacks the transportation options to offload people from the roads. We don't have HOV lanes, we don't have the metro, the bus system is sub-par (compared to other metropolitan areas), there's virtually no way of getting across the area on foot or on bicycle, and there are major construction project about to begin which should've been completed 10 years ago, and will ensure the interstates are a mess for the next several years no matter where you are heading.

If you get lucky - the traffic issue won't be a problem for you. Maybe you get a job @ APG. Maybe you live near the MARC station and can commute into DC proper.

But, when you talk about lifestyle it can be a big deal and something you should see for yourself during the workweek before you make a decision to live here.

GLTY!

Old 04-23-2012, 10:29 AM

30 posts, read 143,209 times
Raleigh most definitely or anywhere in the Triangle (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill/Carborro). I lived there for a decade and in Baltimore for 5 years - both have pros and cons but I am relocating back to Raleigh due to low cost of living and just a nice place in general. Highly, highly recommend it.

Carrboro is a great place right by UNC-Chapel Hill. A pocket of blue in a sea of red, politically. Very opened minded place. I would say that would be the place to live as a gay couple.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:37 PM

7,487 posts, read 7,153,979 times
So you are moving from Baltimore back to Raleigh? Besides lower cost of living, any other determining factors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRS2010 View Post
Raleigh most definitely or anywhere in the Triangle (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill/Carborro). I lived there for a decade and in Baltimore for 5 years - both have pros and cons but I am relocating back to Raleigh due to low cost of living and just a nice place in general. Highly, highly recommend it.

Carrboro is a great place right by UNC-Chapel Hill. A pocket of blue in a sea of red, politically. Very opened minded place. I would say that would be the place to live as a gay couple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: