Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 05:26 PM
rfp

333 posts, read 689,963 times

Advertisements

It's the law. Most cities have a similar law.

See Section 10 ➔ http://baltimorecity.gov/Portals/0/C...%20Streets.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 08:42 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,338,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfp View Post

couple things OP may be interested in:

Quote:
§ 8-3. Plats and estimates.
20 days before beginning any of the aforesaid work, to be done on the assessment plan as herein provided, the Director of Public Works:
(1) shall prepare and file, in his office, a location plan showing the proposed work and an estimate of the cost thereof; and
(2) shall send notice of the proposed work and estimate of the cost thereof by mail to each abutting property owner as shown on the assessment books:
(i) statingthataftertheexpirationof20daysfromthedateof 1stmailing,hewill proceed to do said work (describing said work, generally, in said notice and referring to said estimate and location plat) on the assessment plan provided in this ordinance;
(ii) warning all persons and corporations desiring to put in any pipes or conduits in said alleys or to do other work requiring the digging up of the same, to proceed at once to do such work; and
(iii) further warning all persons interested that they may appear in his office, on a day certain and at such time and location as shall be stated in the aforesaid notice and make known to said Director of Public Works any objections they may have to the doing of said work on said assessment plan.

and

§ 8-6. Appeals.
(a) Administrative appeal.
Within 30 days of the mailing of a notice of assessment, the owner of the property may appeal the assessment to the Board of Municipal and Zoning Appeals in accordance with the City Charter.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:30 PM
rfp

333 posts, read 689,963 times
This is really a picayune squabble. The homeowner must have the alley repaired, either by an independent contractor or by the city.

Quote:
"the city may issue a notice of violation to the homeowner. Residents who receive a footway violation have five days to notify the Department of Transportation whether they will make the necessary repairs themselves or have the city do the work.

"Citizens choosing to make the footway repairs on their own must obtain a permit from the city. If the homeowner decides to have the city repair the sidewalk, they will be billed for the work once it is complete."

Baltimore / Transportation / City Sidewalks
and

Quote:
§ 8-4 (c) (1):
The cost of paving alleys under the provisions of this subtitle shall be assessed in the aforementioned proportion upon the abutting property owners in every case, but in no instance, however, to exceed 2/3 of said cost.
The OP will not find a contractor to pave such a small patch, especially at that price. The homeowner got a good deal.

He should appreciate his alley being repaved. It's the little things that add up to make Baltimore a better place to live.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:27 AM

27 posts, read 49,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboltonman View Post
I was told that as a property owner I'm responsible for the portion of the alley behind my house. It seems like bull**** to me because I can't stop people from using it.
it is bullsh1t man. I bet if u were to find oil under that part of the alley the city wouldnt give you a penny

Old 04-25-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:

"the director must:

(i) serve each person whose property binds or abuts on the the footway with a written notice of the directors intention to improve, grade, pave, or repair it; and

(ii) give all persons interested an opportunity 5 days after the date of notice to show cause, if any, why the footway should not be improved, graded, paved, repvaed, or repaired..........

i never recieved notice..........thanks.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
couple things OP may be interested in:
thanks, i appreciate it

Old 04-25-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
He should appreciate his alley being repaved. It's the little things that add up to make Baltimore a better place to live.
dont tell me what i should and shouldnt do. I didnt ask for this repaving nor do i care for it and i dam sure aint paying for it.

If you're content with the city sticking it to u in the a$$ thats on u, im not going to stand for it

Old 04-25-2012, 08:53 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,509,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimoreisinthehouse2 View Post
dont tell me what i should and shouldnt do. I didnt ask for this repaving nor do i care for it and i dam sure aint paying for it.

If you're content with the city sticking it to u in the a$$ thats on u, im not going to stand for it
I mean, its in the law. You'll have to pay for it eventually.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I mean, its in the law. You'll have to pay for it eventually.
naw,I Wont. It's just that weak, simpleminded people like you do make it harder for people like me to fight things like this because you just go along with anything that the city does to you. So when we go to protest these injustices they look at as dumbfounded while thinking/saying "no one else has a problem with it."

Old 04-25-2012, 09:51 AM

805 posts, read 2,114,594 times
Let us know how it goes (probably a year or 2 from now) and please make sure you use small words since we are simpleminded people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore