Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You Gay? Which Neighborhood Did You Move To In Baltimore?
Mt Vernon 6 85.71%
Harbor East 1 14.29%
Fells Point 0 0%
Butchers Hill 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 12:00 AM

206 posts, read 470,331 times

Advertisements

I don't think I'm the most informed about the market down there. But I'd probably point you towards 1209 N Charles.

First off, most any housing development opening its sales in the middle of a bad recession is going to struggle. The developer of this one was quite well-respected for good projects across town for the last twenty years, and even they went bankrupt (I don't know who bought the project after that). So based on the Streuver Brothers name it's probably well done.

Secondly, I can't tell you how sold or unsold it is. Current asking prices look attractive but not fire sale. You can look over condo association account statements when you view a unit, and the new project owner is almost certainly picking up the tab for condo fees for the unsolds. If it looks like they have deep pockets then buy in confidence (at the bottom, preferably). I suggest you go to our SDAT site and do a little digging into how many units are owned individually and how many by the new developer - SDAT: Real Property Search

Third, Baltimore has always been a poor condominium market. It's just kinda common knowledge of people involved in housing around here, not that some projects didn't succeed (though for about 30 years I heard most every major project had put the original developer into bankruptcy). Maybe its because our rowhouses were a good enough substitute that the market never developed, or local lenders didn't understand them, or our people are backwards. That history doesn't really have anything to do with you, it's just that the usual metrics that might have applied elsewhere (sold out, resale prices increased) aren't as useful in our immature market.

I don't know what you're looking for but this should be somewhat appealing:
1209 CHARLES St NORTH #301, BALTIMORE, MD 21201 | MLS# BA7799577
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 07:50 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,886,031 times
Baltimore is not a by city for condo buidlings or condo developments. The taxes here are high, so that plus condo fees is a lot of money down the drain every month. People love their rowhomes here. Mt Vernon does have a lot condos scattered all over in subdivided buildings though. I would get on a good realtor site and see what's available, I like coldwell banker.com, and also try to hit a bunch of open houses on Sunday.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:29 PM

226 posts, read 411,258 times
How gay are you looking for? If you want a gay community, then I don't know, but if you just want somewhere accepting, then I doubt you'll have a problem in any of those spots. For example, my usual bar is in Butcher's Hill and the overwhelming majority of us are straight, but there are a few regulars/neighborhood locals there who are very openly gay, and they are just as well liked as anybody else. Their sexual orientation is an absolute non issue.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:45 PM

759 posts, read 1,347,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrh0341 View Post
How gay are you looking for? If you want a gay community, then I don't know, but if you just want somewhere accepting, then I doubt you'll have a problem in any of those spots. For example, my usual bar is in Butcher's Hill and the overwhelming majority of us are straight, but there are a few regulars/neighborhood locals there who are very openly gay, and they are just as well liked as anybody else. Their sexual orientation is an absolute non issue.
I'll second jrh's opinion. Unless you absolutely, positively have to be near the center of gay population concentration, you'll find most of Baltimore very accepting and non-discriminatory. Lauraville, Beverly Hills, Waltherson, Hamilton are neighborhoods near us in NE Baltimore that have had rapidly growing gay populations for the last 10-15 years. Lots of bars, restaurants, shopping options along Harford Rd that are all "gay friendly" at the very least. And still less than a 15 minute ride from Mt. Vernon.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:25 AM

9 posts, read 24,685 times
We have a good friend who bought at 1209 N. Charles Street during the tail end of the 'boom' - I think 2006ish? She paid over $400K for a 2BR/2BA unit there and a few years down the road, the owner started leasing which made it impossible to get financing in the building. She's been trying to slowly sell her since then but told us that in the last year or so, like units are selling anywhere from the low $200K-$250K range - the building is also managed poorly she says by Campbell & Company who don't exactly have a glowing reputation in this town (we rented in a building run by them when we first moved here - never again!). The buzz out there among the owners (who are about half of the building's make up - the rest are renters [mostly college-minded/aged/acting students & residents/doctors] - is that they are getting ready to search for a new management company who is a bit more hands on. It's a nice building though with a beautiful courtyard on the interior and our friend has a rooftop terrace so I wouldn't rule it out but maybe wait it out until they eliminate the rentals or get rid of management. Good luck! We bought a short sale in Harbor East by the way and love it very much - safe neighborhood close to work for both of us!

Old 05-11-2012, 06:37 AM

7,419 posts, read 7,010,225 times
Heading there this weekend so I will take a look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkinsky View Post
We have a good friend who bought at 1209 N. Charles Street during the tail end of the 'boom' - I think 2006ish? She paid over $400K for a 2BR/2BA unit there and a few years down the road, the owner started leasing which made it impossible to get financing in the building. She's been trying to slowly sell her since then but told us that in the last year or so, like units are selling anywhere from the low $200K-$250K range - the building is also managed poorly she says by Campbell & Company who don't exactly have a glowing reputation in this town (we rented in a building run by them when we first moved here - never again!). The buzz out there among the owners (who are about half of the building's make up - the rest are renters [mostly college-minded/aged/acting students & residents/doctors] - is that they are getting ready to search for a new management company who is a bit more hands on. It's a nice building though with a beautiful courtyard on the interior and our friend has a rooftop terrace so I wouldn't rule it out but maybe wait it out until they eliminate the rentals or get rid of management. Good luck! We bought a short sale in Harbor East by the way and love it very much - safe neighborhood close to work for both of us!

Old 05-13-2012, 11:56 AM

342 posts, read 908,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Good to hear. As for Harbor East, what do the prices typically start at?
I'm not gay but I think you would be fine in any of those neighborhoods, especially Mt. Vernon. And harbor east is a little pricey, I know studio apartments in harbor east start between 1,700 and 1,850

Old 05-13-2012, 06:19 PM

7,419 posts, read 7,010,225 times
Sounds like about the same for Reston Town Center right her us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorefella View Post
I'm not gay but I think you would be fine in any of those neighborhoods, especially Mt. Vernon. And harbor east is a little pricey, I know studio apartments in harbor east start between 1,700 and 1,850

Old 05-14-2012, 12:05 PM

342 posts, read 908,452 times
Yeah I'm sorry but I can't see me spending 1700 a month on a stylish glass box, I would take that 1700 and go to Bolton hill you could get a three bedroom or maybe even a whole house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: