Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which apt would you chose?
Domain Brewer's Hill 1 16.67%
McHenry Row 3 50.00%
Arbors and Baltimore Crossrods 0 0%
None of the above...somewhere else 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 09:17 AM

35 posts, read 174,463 times

Advertisements

Will be working at Hopkins hospital on Wolfe street. After an extensive apartment search, I've narrowed down my options to the following:

Domain Brewer's Hill (Canton?)
McHenry Row (Locus Point)
Arbors at Baltimore Crossroads (White Marsh)

Anyone know about these apartments and/or others I should look at? Arbors is a bit far for me. On my test drive, took about 25 minutes door to door between Arbors and Hopkins, passing through some pretty rough (aka bumpy) roads and neighborhoods after getting of I-95. Not sure what the commute time will be in rush hour.

(I should add, I visited many of the inner city apartment complexes and ultimately decided that being surrounded by tall buildings and traffic isn't my cup of tea. I prefer somewhere with a bit more elbow room.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 01:12 PM

759 posts, read 1,356,024 times
If you don't like the high-rise complexes (and I never did either), I always make the same recommendation: rent a floor in a nearby rowhouse. Plenty of options in areas near Hopkins Hospital. Lots of advantages: more character, no extra fees, you deal with a single landlord instead of a faceless management company, you get to really know your neighborhood and neighbors and savor the flavor. Oft times you'll find you get more elbow room and a lower monthly rent than the big complexes to boot. Check the East Baltimore guide and other local free papers. HTH.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:54 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,898,980 times
I wouldn't recommend White Marsh unless you have a family or are obsessed with the suburbs, I would also argue that family life in Locust Point and Canton is just as good and active and has as good of schools as White Marsh.

Canton and Locust Point are both very safe, and have tons of stuff to do.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:41 PM

781 posts, read 1,195,839 times
Domain is closer, less traffic. Nice property, close to the Square, there's the Panera shopping center which is a neat plus. McHenry Row is a more bit far removed, but a little city within a city. Closer to hot spots like Federal Hill too.

Depends on how much you like to sit in your car before/after work--dealing with Light Street en route to the Hospital / on way home would probably make me cranky after a while. But, if you are considering the hike from White Marsh, then I honestly think McHenry Row would be fine for you. Plus, more to do right at your doorstop, including a full-service supermarket.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:17 PM

35 posts, read 174,463 times
Are there alternate routes from Locust point area to Hopkins besides Key Hwy >> Light St. >> Pratt?

What's the average rush hour traffic like on I-395?

Would it make any sense to take the Fort McHenry tunnel and commute to Hopkins from the east side?

Old 05-03-2012, 09:40 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,898,980 times
Yes, the tunnel to Hopkins from Locust Point would be a good option. I would try both ways see which is easier, probably the tunnel because you can get there in two secs from LP and not sure of the exit for Hopkins, but probably an easy route.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:41 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,136,194 times
The tunnel would be the better option however you'll drive past domain everyday. Rental season is kicking into full swing so you may want to start your search sooner than later.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:25 PM

781 posts, read 1,195,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaches84 View Post
Are there alternate routes from Locust point area to Hopkins besides Key Hwy >> Light St. >> Pratt?

What's the average rush hour traffic like on I-395?

Would it make any sense to take the Fort McHenry tunnel and commute to Hopkins from the east side?
Light Street is pretty much the only way to head north from Locust Point. You could take one of the side streets that heads north and runs parallel, but, most of the downtown area can be a clusterf during rush hour, early morning, etc.

Can do the tunnel back and forth, which, would save time, but, could get pricey after a while. It still would be a bit of a hike, whether you get off at the Eastern or Boston St. exit. You're probably better off avoiding the tunnel, expense isn't worth it...

Do you mean 95? it's hit or miss depending on time--I don't use it frequently hence other posters may be able to give you a better idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: