Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2012, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 6,582 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Baltimore and trying to find a safe, affordable, and modern place to live. I've been doing a lot of research about neighborhoods and Baltimore and understand that I'm not likely to be able to afford Federal Hill or Canton.

I found two apartment buildings near Charles Village that I'm considering, but I don't know if they're located in a safe location or not. One is at North Calvert & 23rd Street, and the other is at St. Paul & 24th St.

Both of the apartment buildings are beautiful.

Are these safe places to live? Am I too far from the heart of Charles Village?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 12:20 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovecrepes View Post
I am moving to Baltimore and trying to find a safe, affordable, and modern place to live. I've been doing a lot of research about neighborhoods and Baltimore and understand that I'm not likely to be able to afford Federal Hill or Canton.

I found two apartment buildings near Charles Village that I'm considering, but I don't know if they're located in a safe location or not. One is at North Calvert & 23rd Street, and the other is at St. Paul & 24th St.

Having lived in Charles Village way back when, (and was on my own), I tried to use 28th Street as the cut off. Others may have different opinions, but, the lower in the twenties you go, the closer you get to North Avenue, which, is a hot spot, unfortunately, for crime, prostitution, and drugs.

There's plenty of apartment buildings in the Charles Village area near the Homewood campus that are reasonably priced... I'd recommend trying to stick to those...

Old 05-10-2012, 12:23 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,512,067 times
Quote:

Modern is hard to find here, sometimes. If you are willing to sacrafice a bit more on modern you can probably afford something in a better nabe.

I don't think one is any better than the other. That area has improved a lot but the areas of CV closer to JHU are still preferred, and will probably remain that way.

There is massive redevelopment project going on in the area though (2300 and 2400 Guilford and Calvert Sts); all of the homes sold for good money, so I think the area will continue to improve.

I have a friend in the 2400 block of Calvert who has had no problems in 6 years or so.

21st, 22nd streets, in the calvert and guilford area, is a known area for prostitution.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:21 PM

569 posts, read 1,442,355 times
That is pretty much the heart of the Barclay neighborhood. Turf of the Young Guerilla Family gang.

Don't live there unless you want to get mugged, raped, or shot.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:35 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,594,835 times
Quote:

That would be a transitional area. Up and coming? Yes. Better than years back? Definitely. St Paul and 24th is right next to the Safeway. Lots of activity there. I walk, bike that area without hesitation. But, it's transitional so if you are faint at heart who worries when "passing through", don't live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: