Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2012, 06:15 PM

226 posts, read 413,820 times

Advertisements

Any good suggestions for sushi in the city on a Friday night? I'm taking a date so I would like somewhere that comes off as somewhat nice. So far I've checked Harbor East, Fells and Mt Vernon but the online reviews for most places don't seem to reach a consensus.

I was leaning towards Ra in Harbor East, but some of the reviews suggest average sushi and too loud and clubby of an atmosphere. I have nothing against trendy, but the reviews suggested that it was just too loud and crowded to talk to your date.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 06:25 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,514,699 times
sticky rice is supposed to be good (never been).

Aloha in Mt Vernon is fine.

Nothing really exceptional, sushi-wise, in Baltimore. My favorite place is in Linthicum.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:05 AM

21 posts, read 73,609 times
I really like the sushi at Ra, but the music is insanely loud so if you are taking a date there is no way you will be able to talk to them. The atmosphere is really "clubby" at night, which is why I only go during the day or the occasional happy hour.
I've never been, but I've heard wonderful things about Chiu's Sushi. I also like XS, but I haven't been there in quite a while so I can't speak for the sushi now.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:36 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,550 times
Matsuri and Cross St. Market in Fed Hill are both very good. Matsuri is a very good date place.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:53 AM

781 posts, read 1,196,323 times
Agree with Matsuri in Federal Hill, there's plenty of places to get a drink afterward around there. Minato in Mt. Vernon isn't bad either, a bit more posh.

I like Ra too, some of their sushi specials are pretty ridiculous--if you sit at a table far away from the bar, imo, you'll be fine. It's a fun spot on a Friday night. Guess it depends on your age / noise tolerance level.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:05 AM

226 posts, read 413,820 times
I liked that Ra looked very cool. My first impulse was to pick that place, but the yelp reviews were all "average sushi", "too loud", and "reminds you of Jersey Shore". (Incidentally, while googling, I stumbled across a press release stating that Snooki girl actually did come to Baltimore one night, and guess where she went to eat? Yup. Call it a sign.)

I can hang with the Canton, Fed Hills bars just fine, so I don't need a super quiet dinner. I just want the place to be cool and the sushi to be pretty good. So far it looks like Matsuri or Minato. I saw the site for XS myself and it did look pretty cool. The reviews didn't seem to rave about the food though.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:43 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,323 times
Sick, not surprised Snooki made a visit.

XS is a good spot too, had sushi there last week, by the bar. Cool venue, but, sushi imo is better at the other joints you mentioned.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:36 AM

342 posts, read 912,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrh0341 View Post
Any good suggestions for sushi in the city on a Friday night? I'm taking a date so I would like somewhere that comes off as somewhat nice. So far I've checked Harbor East, Fells and Mt Vernon but the online reviews for most places don't seem to reach a consensus.

I was leaning towards Ra in Harbor East, but some of the reviews suggest average sushi and too loud and clubby of an atmosphere. I have nothing against trendy, but the reviews suggested that it was just too loud and crowded to talk to your date.

Thanks.
RA Sushi- Harbor East
XS Charles Street- best volcano rolls every

Old 05-13-2012, 01:10 PM

759 posts, read 1,357,037 times
I'll give my vote for Matsuri, been going there since they opened in the mid-nineties (didn't that building used to be the old Muhley's Bakery/Diner?). My wife and I used to there often when we were dating-small place, not too loud, fresh fish, friendly staff-sit at the bar if possible and watch the chefs. Great eel, meaty tuna, rich mackerel, tender yellowtail and snapper, chewy octopus, good rolls, and if you're really nice to them,you can talk the chefs into a cone of the fried shrimp heads-num, num, num, num!

Old 05-14-2012, 07:46 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,457,003 times
We've been going to Matsuri's for over 10 years, it is one of our favorite places. The fish is always very fresh, service is excellent. Bill Tien is the owner and is there most of the time; I believe it is primarily family that works there. We've gone on date night, gone with friends and have taken the kids sine they were little. One of our avorite things to do is to let the chefs choose something for us, a surprise. Always a good time there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: