Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 08:39 AM

65 posts, read 99,892 times

Advertisements

Baltimore videotaped beating case cuts charges - baltimoresun.com

SHOCK! Yes lets sweep this right under the rug and ignore the fact that it was a hate crime, just imagine if the races were reversed !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 09:12 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,982,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtownKeith View Post
Baltimore videotaped beating case cuts charges - baltimoresun.com

SHOCK! Yes lets sweep this right under the rug and ignore the fact that it was a hate crime, just imagine if the races were reversed !
Quote:
But the city state’s attorneys’ office has since dropped those charges and whittled many others over the past three weeks. In all, 13 out of 24 charges have been removed.
I don't necessarily agree with their decision, but you make seem like they aren't still being punished.
Quote:
Parsons, a party promoter from Rosedale, was originally charged with eight crimes in the incident, but three of them have been cut, including the first-degree assault, conspiracy to commit first-degree assault and reckless endangerment. Remaining are robbery, conspiracy to commit robbery, second-degree assault, conspiracy to commit second-degree assault and theft charges.

Davis, who lives in Baltimore, is now charged only with second-degree assault, after first-degree assault, robbery and armed robbery charges were dropped.

Baldwin, of Brooklyn, is now charged with robbery, conspiracy to commit robbery, theft and second-degree assault, after four other charges were dropped: first-degree assault, reckless endangerment, conspiracy to commit first-degree assault and conspiracy to commit second-degree assault.

A single charge of second-degree assault remains against Carter, who lives in Baltimore. Prosecutors declined to pursue armed robbery, robbery, and first-degree assault charges.
I can understand why they dropped the first-degree assault for them because it's pretty difficult to prove that they were out looking to assault someone they didn't know. Seemed more like a crime of opportunity than something that was planned out in advance.

Reckless endangerment is another one that I believe is tough to prove here. All they were did was punch him and kick him. Can you really say they were trying to kill him or seriously injure him? The argument definitely can be made, but can you prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt, not sure you can.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:45 AM

805 posts, read 2,115,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Reckless endangerment is another one that I believe is tough to prove here. All they were did was punch him and kick him. Can you really say they were trying to kill him or seriously injure him? The argument definitely can be made, but can you prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt, not sure you can.
From this definition,

https://www.google.com/search?q=Reck...w=1280&bih=898

I don't think the charges should be dropped.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:15 AM

187 posts, read 363,917 times
If they are tried and sentenced for robbery and 2nd-degree assault I'll feel justice is served.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:38 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,256,590 times
Quote:

ALL they did was punch and kick him? I'd say that's a pretty good indication of an attempt to seriously injure someone.

And in court, a charge only need be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, not a shadow of a doubt (even if the jurors ARE all Tom Petty fans).

Old 05-11-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
ALL they did was punch and kick him? I'd say that's a pretty good indication of an attempt to seriously injure someone.

And in court, a charge only need be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, not a shadow of a doubt (even if the jurors ARE all Tom Petty fans).
BUT, the argument can be made that he came up and a threatening manner looking for a fight. I'm not saying that they weren't trying to seriously hurt him, it's just you can't really prove it. I would rather see them get some charges then no charges at all. This could easily be thrown out if you try to overcharge.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:39 PM

If this goes to a jury forget it they will all get off. Black jurors won't care about a white boy being assualted/robbed by their kin folk. There is plenty of precedent for that.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:45 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,305,888 times
Quote:
BUT, the argument can be made that he came up and a threatening manner looking for a fight. I'm not saying that they weren't trying to seriously hurt him, it's just you can't really prove it. I would rather see them get some charges then no charges at all. This could easily be thrown out if you try to overcharge.
Exactly

Old 05-11-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtownKeith View Post
If this goes to a jury forget it they will all get off. Black jurors won't care about a white boy being assualted/robbed by their kin folk. There is plenty of precedent for that.
That's a pretty broad assumption don't you think. As if all black people are the same

Old 05-11-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
That's a pretty broad assumption don't you think. As if all black people are the same
NO of course they are not. But facts are facts dont ask me to get into a deep explanation as to why - the twns who set a dog on fire got off with a mostly black jury and the black who ran down two teenaged girls got off with a mostly black jury as well. Just two recent examples - what am I supposed to take away from those incidents ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore