Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 09:03 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
More blacks are criminals.... I'm gonna say it.
Good for you. Now...

More than whom? Based on what statistics besides "proportions"?

Besides, is that point the subject of this thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 02:58 PM

21 posts, read 32,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddiva View Post
young African-Americans from Baltimore into one category. I'm a 26 year old Baltimorean and I just get frustrated that people of other races who happen to live in the city are so darn prejudgmental. I would love to make friends with people of other cultures. From my experience, it seems like it's a crime to go to an establishment (such as a bar) that is not predominately Black. I mean hello, this isn't the 1960s!

Though I have a love/hate relationship with Baltimore, it's leaning more towards hate because of the city's racial tensions.
I agree. Especially with the bar/nightlife scene. The more comfortable establishments are majority non-black, and black people get stares when they come. Just go to Fells Point and feel the tension, its the same even if you are dressed the same as everyone else. And the "black" establishments tend to have owners who don't have proper security or a suitable dress code.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsMass View Post
Isn't Baltimore 63.7% black? Aren't a large amount of our politicians and police officers black?

I don't see how you could possibly complain about this in Baltimore today.
That says nothing about the entertainment and "trendy" neighborhoods that attempt to exclude black people or make them feel uncomfortable. The more exclusive and talked about communities are less accepting of the 63% black population.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Baltimore is just an ignorant town..plain and simple!!!
How? Or are you just describing the people in your environment? Or are you quoting this froom someone else?

Old 06-05-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
BALTIMORE always seems to have a theme of 'racial tensions' from the forum. Is it really worse than other cities?

I don't notice the theme being discussed much on DC...and I don't think so much in NY/NJ either...although it probably exist to some degree to some extent?

Or is Baltimore just a place that just has more of it, than other places, for some unknown reasons?
Oh it exists, especially in DC & NY. In those cities, while people might say it's more "diverse" due to statistics, the intermingling amongst different ethnic groups is rare. I really think the media here perpetuates the stereotypes. Never have I ever seen so many sensationalized racially disproportionate news stories than on the Baltimore news networks. And the same crimes that happen here, they happen in other places too, but I doubt their news networks spend 3/4 of the 30min local news shhow talking about crimes comitted by black people.

You put it in that perspective, and of course the non-black people think black people are violent and vicious. The white people here are just as guilty as the black people when if comes to stereotypes.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:45 AM

759 posts, read 1,356,024 times
I don't know who is or is not more guilty of racism/racial stereotyping in Baltimore City, blacks or whites. I do see plenty of evidence for arguments on both sides. That many of one race fear or mistrust those of another race is certainly not unique to Baltimore, Maryland, the USA, or most of the planet.
It is certainly true that blacks commit the majority of crime in Baltimore, and are responsible for almost all of the violent crime. Then again, blacks represent nearly 70% of the city's population, so it would be odd if whites were committing the majority of crimes. I don't think the local news spends a disproportionate amount of airtime focusing on "black crime." In fact, many of the local stations no longer mention the race of the criminals involved, they're just reporting the crime itself. So are all, or even most, black Baltimoreans dangerous, untrustworthy criminals? Of course not.
It is also true that the minority white population holds and generates a disproportionate amount of money, property and influence in the city, relative to their overall numbers. Many have in fact left the city proper to take up residence in areas perceived as safer and more exclusive of other races. Does this mean that all, or even most, white Baltimoreans are power mad money grubbers, intent on exploiting and keeping down the rest of the city's population? Of course not.
On an abstract level, one does not see a great deal of racial mingling/socializing, particularly in certain parts of the city that are categorized as mostly "black" or mostly "white." It's true you don't see many black faces in Fell's Point, Federal Hill or Canton nightspots. But you see even fewer white faces at Club Choices, Eden's Lounge or the New Haven.
If you happen to live in one of Baltimore's many "mixed" neighborhoods you will see a great deal more intermingling and socializing on a personal level. Our neighborhood is like that: we eat, drink, cook out, visit with and watch out for our neighbors both black and white. Last week my black neighbor helped me change out the alternator in my car (he had better tools), this week he asked me, his white neighbor, to keep an eye on his house while he and the wife and kids are on vacation. This is where change has to start, on a personal, one-to-one level, not on some broadly defined, government-mandated feat of social engineering.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:22 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Where does Baltimore fit into that?

That graph is interesting. But, most of the cities they are comparing NYC with are out in California or out west somewhere (San Antonio, Phoenix). It would be more interesting if it were compared to more 'east of the mississippi' cities, which also have large black populations.

Meaning, cities like New Orleans, Baltimore, Detroit, Memphis, Washington DC, Atlanta, etc. would be better to compare with.
All the cities you mentioned are majority Black or Blacks make up a majority of the school age population so you'd expect a certain degree of segregation in schools. In NYC folks are explicitly going out of their way to not send kids to schools with large Black and Hispanic populations even though they may live on the same block, neighborhood etc.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:18 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
But you see even fewer white faces at Club Choices, Eden's Lounge or the New Haven.
Not in Baltimore, but in another American city, I went to a famous upscale black drinking establishment, and had a few beers, sitting at the bar by myself. I'm a white male.

I had a guy come up and ask me if I was a sociologist studying black folk...

I guess he just couldn't get his head around it any other way.

So, yeah, doesn't sound unique to Baltimore at all. Seems like that way across the United States.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:08 AM

70 posts, read 152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
All the cities you mentioned are majority Black or Blacks make up a majority of the school age population so you'd expect a certain degree of segregation in schools. In NYC folks are explicitly going out of their way to not send kids to schools with large Black and Hispanic populations even though they may live on the same block, neighborhood etc.
Thats because schools with large Black and Hispanic populations almost always suck. If you are a white parent who really cares about your child's education, why would you send your child to a majority black school when you know what the general attitude towards education within the black community is? Why would you want your child surrounded by a bunch of kids who couldnt care less about education?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore