Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 10:25 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecj View Post
Increase government incentives for them to move to HOCO or MOCO so we get the harbor back.
I don't think those counties will won't such persons moving there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 01:17 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Bowman View Post
Nope....nothing to see here..move along.

Random attack by a "group of youths" (wink, nod) on a 51yo federal worker.

Police investigate more downtown attacks - baltimoresun.com

Nope.....no pattern at all. None.
What a sad state of affairs.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
What a sad state of affairs.
Do you think some people behave this way because of revenge?

Old 06-06-2012, 02:36 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I think it's ignorance, boredom and a lack respect for society/authority.

It's sad that this kind of violence leads to people in the community to pass judgement on others of the same race.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:45 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,138,453 times
Quote:

I think they are douchebags. Simple as that. The HOCO/MOCO comment was in jest btw.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
I think it's ignorance, boredom and a lack respect for society/authority.

It's sad that this kind of violence leads to people in the community to pass judgement on others of the same race.
It is sad. And at the same time, many people have thought this way about African-Americans, period. Part of me feels embarrassed when I heard about such mob violence, because I am African-American and I don't engage in such activity. My mother and father raised me better than that. When I see other young African-Americans doing this, I just shake my head because I think "You know you're feeding the stereotype when you do that, and you'll make MY life harder because of it".

On the other hand, I am very aware that prejudice against Africans-American, in a historical sense, runs much deeper than these "flash mobs". Prejudice against African-Americans has existed since slavery. When I feel like I have to "look good" and be an "ambassador", I feel resentful about it. I am the way I am because of the way I was raised, and to be honest, I like being me. I feel like I have to prove myself, I have to go that extra mile, in I society that I was born in, in order to disprove stereotypes.

It's a mix od resentment and embarrassment. Embarassment at the persons who behave like fools, and some resentment at feeling like I have to prove myself.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:43 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
I read Bernstein refuses to prosecute these kids.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:33 PM

65 posts, read 99,938 times
Quote:
It is sad. And at the same time, many people have thought this way about African-Americans, period. Part of me feels embarrassed when I heard about such mob violence, because I am African-American and I don't engage in such activity. My mother and father raised me better than that. When I see other young African-Americans doing this, I just shake my head because I think "You know you're feeding the stereotype when you do that, and you'll make MY life harder because of it".

On the other hand, I am very aware that prejudice against Africans-American, in a historical sense, runs much deeper than these "flash mobs". Prejudice against African-Americans has existed since slavery. When I feel like I have to "look good" and be an "ambassador", I feel resentful about it. I am the way I am because of the way I was raised, and to be honest, I like being me. I feel like I have to prove myself, I have to go that extra mile, in I society that I was born in, in order to disprove stereotypes.

It's a mix od resentment and embarrassment. Embarassment at the persons who behave like fools, and some resentment at feeling like I have to prove myself.

Oh brother the familiar cry of blame it all on slavery. I hope your done with your self reflection. There is something seriously wrong with a segment of the black community these days, just ask Bill Cosby. And read this website listing the violent attacks of blacks on whites here and tell me there isnt a problem with young black thugs all over the country: Violent Flash Mobs - Violent Flash Mobs

This country needs about 10,000 Bernhard Goetzs. Somebody has to teach these savages these attacks are unacceptable.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtownKeith View Post
Oh brother the familiar cry of blame it all on slavery. I hope your done with your self reflection. There is something seriously wrong with a segment of the black community these days, just ask Bill Cosby. And read this website listing the violent attacks of blacks on whites here and tell me there isnt a problem with young black thugs all over the country: Violent Flash Mobs - Violent Flash Mobs

This country needs about 10,000 Bernhard Goetzs. Somebody has to teach these savages these attacks are unacceptable.
Didn't I just say that the particular segment of the Black population was causing problems? Did I ever say there wasn't a problem? You are missing my point.

I mentioned slavery only in a historical context. I was pointing out that prejudice against Blacks has existed since slavery. I mentioned nothing more about slavery than that.

My point was that I am drawn somewhere between embarrassment, anger, and cynicism. I am embarrassed that this particular young persons are doing this. I am angry that they are causing problems. On the flipside, my cynicism comes from the fact that:
A) These particular persons don't care what they do or who they hurt.
B) There are people who are going to hate Black people no matter what.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:01 PM

759 posts, read 1,357,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtownKeith View Post

I very much agree that youth mob violence is increasing, particularly in the black community. There is strength (and anonymity) in numbers. All gangs, particularly these latest "flash mobs", are essentially cowards-they don't even have the traditional gang excuse that they have banded together for safety. Rather, they have banded together because it is easier to attack and rob as a large group than as an individual, and it makes the chances of individual participants being identified, arrested and prosecuted unlikely.

Personally, I feel that we have spent too much of our time, resources and energy in vaguely defined attempts to "understand" the ostensibly poor, misunderstood and disenfranchised members of society who choose to participate in violent criminal behavior. If individuals understood that such behavior will not be tolerated, and will be met with severe penalties rather than visits from social service workers and increased benefits from the public sector, perhaps society could make inroads into addressing and solving this burgeoning problem.

All of that said, I don't care for the tone of some of these posts, even those of people who seem to share some sentiments similar to my own. There is no place for name calling and exhortations for retaliatory violence amongst adults having adult discussions here in the Baltimore Forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore