Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 03:35 AM

764 posts, read 1,656,968 times

Advertisements

I'd take the time to check out Catonsville. You could drive a bit further west on Frederick Rd. for a look at downtown Ellicott City. Patapsco State park is right there - kinda like St Edwards Park over in Kirkland/Kenmore - but with a river instead of the lake (great for water dogs).

Also, there is the B&A Trail that runs from BWI to Annapolis Trail Map
There are some interesting small 'main street' areas around Pasadena

But, I think I would really look at Annapolis. (Sorry not much help as we lived in E.C.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 11:02 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,258,832 times
For a good combination of cost, good conditions, and most convenient commute to the Yard, look into the areas off of Rt. 10 and around Ft. Smallwood Rd. between the city line and where it makes a sharp bend to the west, a little south of Rock Creek. It's just suburbs, a good bit of which remained fairly rural until relatively recently.

Brooklyn, Brooklyn Park, Curtis Bay, and Glen Burnie, all have some nice areas, as well as some not-as-nice areas, with the not-as-nice areas generally being closer to the city line and just over it in Brooklyn and Curtis Bay. No doubt, you have to be fairly selective about just where you would want to live, so the person who is from this area would be in a better position to make such a decision than someone who's not, but if you have a little time to check things out, you can get a pretty good idea of how things are.

Linthicum and Ferndale are worth looking at.

I'm trying to give you the easiest commute by keeping you off of the Beltway and avoiding the tolls at the Key Bridge or the tunnels.

There's more to Northern Anne Arundel County than Ritchie Highway.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:21 AM

14 posts, read 30,954 times
We're going to be headed down tomorrow to come check out some of these spots...I appreciate you all taking the time to help focus my search.

I just wanted to get your take on Columbia, and would it be something I had any interest in.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:25 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisscheeseD View Post
We're going to be headed down tomorrow to come check out some of these spots...I appreciate you all taking the time to help focus my search.

I just wanted to get your take on Columbia, and would it be something I had any interest in.
Leafy, fabricated, "planned city." "Main street" is a mall. Utterly confouding to figure out where you are at any given point. Features Merriweather Post Pavillion, one of the nicest places to see an outdoor concert in the U.S., IMO.

It's an interesting place. I wouldn't live there, but there are lots of people who really like it.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:33 AM

Columbia doesn't have a downtown area (the mall is the center of the "towns"), but it's a short drive to Ellicott CIty's historic downtown which is pretty neat - pubs, wine bars, hole-in-the-wall joints, shops, etc. Columbia is suburbia (ala 60s/70s) and has little walking trails and lots of parks. More of a place to live if you have kids. Also, living in Howard County you pay a "premium" for the school district (it's really good for Maryland). Since you don't have kids, there's no need to pay that premium. Instead of Columbia I would look at Catonsville. A lot of my neighbors would like to live in Catonsville, but wouldn't because of the schools (they're not horrible, they just aren't as good as Howard County's).

Old 06-02-2012, 11:36 AM

Doesn't sound so appealing to myself either.

One last question before I cut out of here...If her unit reimburses her the cost of tolls, then it would open our search to the north. If this is indeed the case, could you guys throw out a few other options to check in on as well? And I heard the traffic coming down from the north is much more brutal should you be heading up from the south...how is traffic in Baltimore? On the Beltway?

Old 06-02-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisscheeseD View Post
Doesn't sound so appealing to myself either.

One last question before I cut out of here...If her unit reimburses her the cost of tolls, then it would open our search to the north. If this is indeed the case, could you guys throw out a few other options to check in on as well? And I heard the traffic coming down from the north is much more brutal should you be heading up from the south...how is traffic in Baltimore? On the Beltway?
I'm almost never going in that direction ... but I don't hear about the harbor tunnel backing up unless there's an accident. I might be wrong, though.

However, the Key Bridge and the SE corner of 695 rarely see heavy traffic. So if you lived in Canton, your wife could check the a.m. traffic report and choose between the tunnel and 695.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:57 AM

Additionally, I wouldn't worry about getting reimbursed. You can get a EZ pass commuter plan: MdTA toll rates: Baltimore Harbor Tunnel, Fort McHenry Tunnel and Francis Scott Key Bridge

Old 06-02-2012, 12:08 PM

I'm not familar with the north at all (did you mean north of US40 and I95 - like way north). I wouldn't live up there just because I'd be further from DC (and all the museums/culture/etc.), but for some that's not a bad thing. I like being 30 min to Baltimore and 45 min to DC for dining, shows, concerts, etc. That being said, Fells Point and Canton would be fun places to live.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:05 AM

Just giving everyone an update...

We've been in Baltimore for 2 days and have checked out all the places we've discussed in this thread and then some. My wife LOVED Annapolis. We've targeted Annapolis pretty hard and are close to signing a lease. Canton seemed like a spot we'd both enjoy, but have had a tough time finding a spot in our range that we actually liked. You guys were right about Columbia. We were looking for something with a LITTLE culture, not much to offer there in Columbia.

All in all, I can see where Baltimore can get its rep, but there are plenty of hidden gems within. I really liked Mt. Vernon and spots in Laurasville...but for me and my wife, I'd rather have the peace of mind living outside of the city.

I appreciate everyone's help and hope you all remain active in assisting others in helping them make the best decisions for themselves and their families moving to an unknown place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore