Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 07:10 AM

14 posts, read 30,945 times

Advertisements

Another place I haven't been able to get to is Ridgley's Delight...can I get some info?

One of the guys we've been talking to also has a property opening up on S. Freemont and he wants us to check it out. Is it worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 07:22 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,030,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisscheeseD View Post
Just giving everyone an update...

We've been in Baltimore for 2 days and have checked out all the places we've discussed in this thread and then some. My wife LOVED Annapolis. We've targeted Annapolis pretty hard and are close to signing a lease.
It's nice to have someone return and tell the board what they decided. It helps with the feedback process to know if the hints work.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:39 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,512,067 times
Quote:
Another place I haven't been able to get to is Ridgley's Delight...can I get some info?

One of the guys we've been talking to also has a property opening up on S. Freemont and he wants us to check it out. Is it worth it?
Ridgely's is a great community. I'd live there. Lots of UMB law and medical school students mixed in with long time residents. Easiest walk to Orioles and Ravens games, also an easy walk to the light rail and MARC Camden Line trains.

S. Fremont might have a bit more road noise due to its proximity to MLK, but there is a berm there to lessen it.

It isn't a huge place, and it's also not "right in the middle of the action" as Canton is. There's a good coffee shop called Peace and a Cup of Joe, the Camden Pub is a good sports bar, and the Harbor Way Inn is a funny little tavern that's owned by a hilarious mid-80s Lithuanian guy named Vito (I do hope he is still with us, it's been years since i"ve been in there). The Penn Carryout has good takeout food and there's a carribean place there too, that I haven't tried.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:54 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,256,590 times
Did you go to the Coast Guard Yard itself to see exactly where it is in relation to where you've been looking for a place to live?

Old 06-06-2012, 08:11 PM

14 posts, read 30,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Did you go to the Coast Guard Yard itself to see exactly where it is in relation to where you've been looking for a place to live?
Yes.

The commute isn't my #1 priority. As long as it was within a 30 minute radius, it wouldn't have been any different than what she was used to in Seattle. Would it have been nice to find a place within 10 minutes? Of course. But I'm not willing to sacrifice safety concerns for a commute. I'd much rather the peace of mind, in a neighborhood that best suits what we are looking for.

I appreciate your help, but I could (and) have looked on google maps to search neighborhoods along the roads that lead into Curtis Bay...it doesn't mean they fit what we were looking for. We are staying in Glen Burnie now while searching, and have already seen incident at the place we are staying at with 3 cop cars outside the building and arresting some dude our first morning here.

Sorry if my post came off as a little rude, but if I'm exhausting all my resources by using Internet Message Forums...I think it would be safe to say that I know where the Coast Guard Base is in relation to where we've extended our search.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:30 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,256,590 times
Quote:
Sorry if my post came off as a little rude...

Not at all. Just wanted to be sure that you knew just where the USCGY is and that you had at least checked out the surrounding area, particularly the neighborhoods along Ft. Smallwood Rd. There can be a big difference between finding a location on a map or monitor screen and physically being there.

I hope you find a place suitable to you and that the hitch at the Yard goes well. Both of my parents worked there in the late '40's-early '50's before transferring to the Naval Academy. They both really liked the Yard and said that it was a good place to work.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:55 AM

61 posts, read 78,090 times
There really isn't a main street feel just south of the city. The closest one would be Federal Hill but you said you don't want the row house/city situation.

You may want to try Ellicott City. It is down 695 a ways but I hear it has a good main street and is safe/suburby.

Brooklyn/Catonsville are kind of "working class" areas if you will. Not sure if that is what you are into.

If you are willing to pay the toll every day, White Marsh may be an OK town for you. They have a place called "the avenue" which is it's version of the main street. It is over by the White Marsh mall. It's a nice town with easy access to 95 and the city. As far as the Ft. McHenry toll, your wife can get a commuter plan and I think it ends up being about 50 cents a trip (it is normally $3).

Columbia is a nice town not too too far from Curtis Bay. I doubt it has any nightlife but it's a nice suburb town. You could also try Laurel. It is a suburb about halfway between Balt and DC and has a ton of stuff on Rt. 1.

I was also sent here on orders for the Army. I live in Baltimore City in Fell's Point and will help in any way possible. PM if need be. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore