Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 01:23 AM

11,328 posts, read 9,214,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickymost View Post
Umm..err...have you been to a Ravens game? Not that Baltimore is the only NFL town to be hostile to visitors, but it gets downright violent inside and outside the stadium, particularly against divisional rivals.

I would disagree with whomever posted the women in Baltimore are unattractive. That's a subjective thing, and perhaps one could say they tend to be trashier and not as fashionable as NYC, but you can't really compare most of the country to NYC.
Don't assume every sports fan likes football. The majority of football fans shun hockey. Because I do not want to derail this thread I'm going to leave it at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 12:25 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,021,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I like it because it's possible to live well without being exceptionally wealthy, there are tons of creative people here and truly excellent music and art, folks are generally friendly, and there is far less snobbery here than in other places. I find it easiest to make friends compared to other places I've lived (6 other states).

For the most part, the negatives can be ingnored, avoided, mitigated, or worked on, depeding on your inclination.

It's not paradise by any stretch of the imagination, but it can be wildly fun to live here.
^ I endorse this message.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:03 AM

132 posts, read 291,573 times
Default Other Reasons to live here

1. John Water's greatest films- Female Trouble
2. Nude midgot dancing is available at more then one venue
3. The block is next to the police department
4. Rowhouses are cozy and comfortable to live in- never had an electric bill over $100
5. Balwmorese
6. Many festivals - Lithuanian festival, Greeks festivals, Hon festival, latino fest, Artscape
7. Plenty of parks
8. You can live in a $40,000 rowhouse and walk to 2 major league stadiums
9. If you are not wearing your pjs in public- you are dressed up
10. Ravens football is worshiped- if you are a fan you have a brotherhood to which you instantly belong
11. If you have nothing else to do you can sit around and complain about the O's and Peter.
12. Best thing about Baltimore is that it is NOT NYC, DC or any other place that takes great effort to live in.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:29 PM

866 posts, read 2,618,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L in sobo View Post
1. John Water's greatest films- Female Trouble
2. Nude midgot dancing is available at more then one venue
3. The block is next to the police department
4. Rowhouses are cozy and comfortable to live in- never had an electric bill over $100
5. Balwmorese
6. Many festivals - Lithuanian festival, Greeks festivals, Hon festival, latino fest, Artscape
7. Plenty of parks
8. You can live in a $40,000 rowhouse and walk to 2 major league stadiums
9. If you are not wearing your pjs in public- you are dressed up
10. Ravens football is worshiped- if you are a fan you have a brotherhood to which you instantly belong
11. If you have nothing else to do you can sit around and complain about the O's and Peter.
12. Best thing about Baltimore is that it is NOT NYC, DC or any other place that takes great effort to live in.
Not sure why some of these are reasons to live there (#1-3??), but I'm glad you are enjoying it

Old 12-18-2012, 02:54 PM

3,011 posts, read 6,285,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bless1 View Post
Baltimore is a ****-hole. I moved here 2 yrs ago from Manhattan and this city has some truly ignorant, zero fashion sense, small minded people. It's like their entire world revolves around crabs and the Ravens in this city. Some mediocre looking women who think that they're something hot to look @, who also have no fashion sense(I'm comparing them to other cities that I've lived such as London, LA, Miami, NY) it's like the black folk here are just happy being ignorant, and the white folk mostly look like they just rolled out of bed and very frumpy. My trash bin was stolen from infront my house twice ( who steals a trash bin???). The city has a problem with abandoned homes yet there's still ppl living homeless..you'd think they'd pump some money into some programmes to get the local economy thriving. Don't tell me about the inner harbor either, after two hrs at cheescake factory what else is there to do? I live in Fells Point and if this one of the 'better' parts of Baltimore..then like I said, Baltimore is a ****-hole.
So if everything in NY is so perfect, why dont you just move back there? Baltimore has it's problems and I have my gripes as well, trust me on that. However, there is so much that is NOT wrong with this city that is overlooked. One thing I really like is that the vast majority of the people here aren't pretentious or put on a front. They are simply who they are and many are down to earth and approachable. As for fashion, no one cares. in fact, I don't think Baltimore wants to be compared to Miami or LA. It just wants to simply be..Baltimore.

As a NOLA native, I kindly tell people not to JUST spend all of their time on Bourbon St. When they do anyway, they tell me how much it sucked. I get annoyed when people's first impression of NOLA is Bourbon St, non-stop drinking and debauchery. There is SO much more to my city than that. I try to convince people to explore other parts of the city so they leave with a better experience and outlook.

The same applies to Baltimore. When people only go to the Inner Harbor and eat at chain restaurants, of course they will come away with a bad taste and negative image. There is a lot to do here. Unfortunately, people aren't willing to take the time and explore and expand their outlook. I feel if one is not willing to make their own experience better, then why complain? I always try to find something different to do or explore, even if it's an old historic neighborhood.

You say you live in Fells Point...Do you know how many people would love to hang their hats there?

Believe me..there are far worse places than Baltimore

Last edited by Gil3; 12-18-2012 at 03:04 PM..

Old 12-18-2012, 06:15 PM
rfp

333 posts, read 687,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
Believe me..there are far worse places than Baltimore
Well, I grew up in Balto, unit block Luzerne Ave - went to Poly - then to JHU — always love my hometown.

I live in ChiTown now, where there is very little crime and extremely above-board politics. Our Congressman from the 2nd district has been absent for eight months; he easily won re-election before giving up his post; he may be dead. You don't need to be actually alive to win an election in ChiTown (see John Stroger) — what a great place to live!

I enjoy reading the posts on this forum — carry on.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:46 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,034,122 times
Natty Bo and crabcakes.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:03 PM

6,514 posts, read 8,398,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Baltimore native here.

It's an interesting, down-to-earth place where many to most can have a decent to very good life -- without goo-gobs of money as other posters have said. Add to that the cultural, historial and architectural qualities, and it gets even more interesting. There are some good public schools here, believe it or not (many of them magnet and private, but at least there are choices). Also, it's not the biggest city but not a tiny one, so it's just right for many people.

I think the discussion or obssession over the negatives is based in a desire to hold on to Baltimore's positives and not let the crap take over. Also, for a lot of the have-nots (and have-littles) and those who live close by, the ignorance in Baltimore can be a real drag on the quality of life. I'm talking the druggie and drunk ignorance. The unreasonable, violent, unbelievably cruel hair-trigger temper ignorance that I swear is perpetrated by former crack babies. The drug-dealing ignorance. The "come hell or high water, I'm going to do the stupidest things possible" ignorance. Such ignorance doesn't exist in all parts of Baltimore, but it's dispersed enough for people to be mighty concerned.
Isn't every city like this in the 'hood, or is Baltimore a special case? It is starting to sound a lot like Detroit.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:16 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,552,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Isn't every city like this in the 'hood, or is Baltimore a special case? It is starting to sound a lot like Detroit.
As a former Detroiter, I can tell you Baltimore is very much different. New Orleans has more crime than both. Why not ask if it sounds like that?

Old 12-21-2012, 12:42 PM

759 posts, read 1,349,023 times
Smile They're doing WHAT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobo16 View Post
Not sure why some of these are reasons to live there (#1-3??), but I'm glad you are enjoying it
What, you got a problem with nude midgots dancing? Or just like with nude midgots in general?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore