Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 06:45 AM

187 posts, read 364,201 times

Advertisements

It's not really a secret. People choose not to live there because of it being on the edge of the West Baltimore abyss and its proximitiy to W. North Ave, which is a ****ing freak show. One of the biggest factors for me when I was considering the area was the lack of a food store/anything within walking distance. Also, art students are not regular people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 08:55 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,809,455 times
Default You and me

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsMass View Post
Also, art students are not regular people.
Thank goodness for that. MICA kids are transforming Station North.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:35 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,740,038 times
Quote:
It's not really a secret. People choose not to live there because of it being on the edge of the West Baltimore abyss and its proximitiy to W. North Ave, which is a ****ing freak show. One of the biggest factors for me when I was considering the area was the lack of a food store/anything within walking distance. Also, art students are not regular people.
I agree with the food stores and retail argument. However, I think we can all agree that the entire city is underserved compared to the neighboring counties. To really live comfortably in Baltimore City you really need a vehicle to run errands and shop, since most of the stores and major retail are in the suburbs. Most of the city, outside of the tourist spots are dead zones.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:34 AM

Retail is one thing. But it's important to me to have a grocery store and a pharmacy/convenience store within a few blocks. Many neighborhoods in Baltimore have that. I've never lived in Bolton Hill, but what can you easily walk to besides Art School and the Mt. Royal Tavern?

Old 03-01-2013, 11:37 AM

805 posts, read 2,115,734 times
Save-A-lot
Rite Aide
Park Pharmacy
B Bistro
On the Hill
Bolton Hill Deli
Belle Hardware
Sutton Sandwish Shop
Eutaw Market

Then you can venture to Mt. Vernon for more stuff.

Safeway does deliver here.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:47 AM

I meant a real grocery store. And I'd imagine Rite Aid is a bit of a hike.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:47 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboltonman View Post
Save-A-lot
Rite Aide
Park Pharmacy
B Bistro
On the Hill
Bolton Hill Deli
Belle Hardware
Sutton Sandwish Shop
Eutaw Market

Then you can venture to Mt. Vernon for more stuff.

Safeway does deliver here.
Two boots pizza too?

Old 03-01-2013, 12:00 PM

805 posts, read 2,115,734 times
Quote:
I meant a real grocery store. And I'd imagine Rite Aid is a bit of a hike.
Save-A-Lot does suck. Rite Aid is right in the neighborhood next to Save-A-Lot and one is on the edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hands..
Two boots pizza too?
Yeah, forgot about over there.

Barnes and Noble w/ Starbucks too.

Dougherty's Pub is nice and a very close walk.
Dougherty's Pub

N. Charles St is only takes a few minutes walking then you have XS, Dionysus, Bistro Viccino , and etc...

The light rail and metro are very close and can get you downtown quickly.

The housing prices seem to holding up well here. It's a quiet but beautifully neighborhood with a mixture of different people. I see the neighborhood staying pretty much the same or getting better as the surrounding neighborhoods get cleaned up.

Last edited by mrboltonman; 03-01-2013 at 12:09 PM..

Old 03-07-2013, 02:11 PM

8,239 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Couple other nice examples are over there are along Madison Street where there are a couple of neat woop dee doos in the street that send vehicle traffic in alternating directions so that you can drive straight through the neighborhood.. Also there is an older condo/townhome development pretty much took over a portion of W. Lanvale and made it part of their development.....All are forms of defensible space under the guise of traffic calming..

I didnt realize that the sections of Roberts Street that barante referred to aligned directly up with Madison Park North.. which is no doubt the reason why it was closed off... Mr. BoltonMan.. I guess you guys still have a little clout down there to get that done...LOL Now if you can get Linden Liquors closed down.. along with MPN THAT would be an accomplishment....

Maybe MICA will buy the block that includes the Sav A Lot and redevelop it into a midrise apartment building with ground floor retail that would include a new grocery store (could be Sav A Lot) and other amenities.....

Old 03-10-2013, 07:45 AM

1,757 posts, read 5,138,453 times
Dallas and Bank is gated in Fell's Point. It's a bit odd, as it is the only gated street that I can think of there in FP that is just a regular street. The intersection faces the Perkins Homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore