Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 06:03 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,418,263 times

Advertisements

As a Black man, I can attest to the fact that many of these issues Baltimore is facing stems from some serious psychological, dysfunctional and disturbing behaviors amongst some segments of her residence. This is a topic for a whole other discussion. A discourse I'm willingly to have..intelligently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 06:06 AM

Default Yes

"..it's all the fault of black people, eh? That's your answer? Has nothing to do with the loss of manufacturing jobs, which was the backbone of baltimore's blue-collar middle class, of course. And i won't even start on the left/right political divide because we'd never finish."

To a certain degree, "backwardass" black (negro) politicians need to take the blame for this!! More on this later

Old 07-10-2012, 06:09 AM

Thanks!! Everyone is making some real engaging and valid points. Keep up the excellent work!!!

Old 07-10-2012, 06:13 AM

Default Good point..

You see.. I need the "global feel and sophistication" in my spirit. Parochialism is cool and all, but..???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria27` View Post
To answer the OP's question... I'm from the Midwest, attended college and worked in DC, then moved to Baltimore.
At first I, too, thought of it as the "red-headed stepchild" -- not as global or sophisticated as DC, sort of cliquish and parochial, not as much to do. Didn't help that I also found the accents impenetrable. :-}

But after a couple of years, I was hooked on Baltimore. Totally smitten. It's a big small town... the people are neighborly and quirky....there's plenty to do, but you do need to seek it out.

I no longer live there, but, hon, I sure would like to retire there.... Let people think it's the stepchild -- that keeps it cozy and quaint.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:18 AM

Default Saddened!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
DC and Atlanta are majority Black and are doing much better than Baltimore. What happened to Baltimore is what happened to alot of cities where the manufacturing sector was the majority sector.
I'm very saddened by this. Why can't Baltimore learn from these other cities?

Old 07-10-2012, 12:14 PM

8,226 posts, read 13,342,429 times
I think Barante and others have raised some valid points.. from the loss of manufacturing jobs and middle class, rise in crime/poverty, to politicos that lack vision, to second tier "big city" status when compared to some aspects of PHilly, DC, and NYC, along with resentment/anger from some suburbanites who may have fled the City with their parents as youth due to block busting and other racial/economic issues (which economically hurt many since many sold at a loss thus impacting them financially while those mainly African American purchased these homes from fleeing whites via investors and over inflated prices...leaving everyone but the investor at a disadvantage) not to mention the DC centric Counties that feel Baltimore is draining their wallets and they technically have no use for the City.

Politcially the City continues to loose representation in Annapolis further depleting our political power and influence in our own state which we are the largest city. Many of the State's 'elite' particuliarly African American with influence now live in Reisterstown(Baltimore County), Prince George's, Howard, and Montgomery County and dont have much alligence to the City. I think all of these issues feed upon one another and creates the attitudes and beliefs particuliarly among some people of inferiority or second class city-zenship of the City.Baltimore is also the ONLY "big" city in a relatively small State that is dominated by old and new suburbs along with rural areas.. all which traditionally have contempt for old urban cities.

Baltimore has had a slight influx of new and young residents that have settled in the Fells Point/Canton, Federal Hill, Hampden/Woodberry, Mt Vernon areas.. along with long stable communities of Ashburton, Mt. Washington, Roland Park, Guilford, Homewood, Upper Park Heights.. to name a few.. The question on how to reverse these opinions is if these new and young residents choose to remain in the City as opposed to leaving when the novelty wears off. Many are not from Baltimore and have settle hear for a variety of reasons from affordability to liking the cities amenities and "quirky" nature. The City is going to have to attract and retain these types of residents in more neighborhoods than those listed to slowly reverse the image issue that it is combating now. Baltimore already has a reputation for the the small theatres, the arts, and cultural festivals and is often referred to as a "real city" when compared to DC.. This is an image that Baltimore should play up since it will NOT be a DC nor should it try.. The quirky nature and affordability is a plus but of course it will take more than just that to change an image..

Last edited by Woodlands; 07-10-2012 at 12:31 PM..

Old 07-10-2012, 12:29 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
I'm very saddened by this. Why can't Baltimore learn from these other cities?
I think much of it is how Baltimore sees itself. Detroit went to crap, not just because of similar issues like deindustrialization and the like. It was the lack of vision. Detroit has been struggling with the fact that it is no longer the automobile manufacturer it once was, and has been slow to innovate. Atlanta, as much as I have verbally ripped apart this city, was actually further along. I think many of the city leaders realized "this isn't the city of 'Gone With the Wind' anymore. We are changing and we need to work with that change if we want to be a global city". Atlanta sought to bring intellectual capital to the city, marketed itself as a great place for Black professionals. DC went to the brink for a bit, but I think its role as the nation's capital played a part in keeping it from getting any worse. Also, DC is a place of diplomats. That probably plays a part. DC and Atlanta have attracted so many people from all over the world and all over the USA. Even with DC's corruption issues, there was still a vision for the city, a forward thinking vision. DC and Atlanta all went through periods of extremely high murder rates, as did Baltimore. However, the city powers in Atlanta found a way to bring in businesses.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:52 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,086,237 times
I believe Baltimore suffered from some of the features that had made it grow. When rail and truck freight rates were regulated and ocean rates were coast to coast (harbor independent) it was cheaper to have a ship travel up the bay to Baltimore to unload freight destined for the Midwest because it reduced the mileage by some 200 miles over many other eastern ports. The same with exports of grain coal and manufactured goods. But when deregulation came the extra coast of a transit up the Bay compared to Norfolk and New Jersey ports made Baltimore less desirable. And all the investment in Port facilities couldn't be fully used. And as people moved out from the core city they crossed the line into Baltimore County which was a completely separate (and equal) political subdivision where many cities are connected to the outer political entity.

Also recent Baltimore politicians haven't helped the cities reputation. Come on the mayor of the city convicted for stealing gift cards meant for disadvantaged kids???

Old 07-11-2012, 04:32 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,806,163 times
Default Spot on, MidvalleyDad

I think the freight and tariff changes had a major impact, combined with the fact that Baltimore lost whatever advantage it used to enjoy when its inadequate tunnels became bottlenecks. (Dad, do you have any references to something written about this?)

Old 07-11-2012, 05:25 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,509,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post

Also recent Baltimore politicians haven't helped the cities reputation. Come on the mayor of the city convicted for stealing gift cards meant for disadvantaged kids???
I think you will get to see her take the throne again after the next election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore