Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2012, 09:16 PM

342 posts, read 912,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Just an FYI, Jacksonville Fl is also a I-95 city and has more residents than Baltimore. There are numerous other metro areas along I-95 that have greater populations than the Baltimore metro.
Jacksonville is also 800 square miles!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 07:10 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,102,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorefella View Post
Jacksonville is also 800 square miles!!
757.7 to be exact. Baltimore is 80.8. However, Baltimore has 7 times the population density.

What's your point?

Are they not both large cities along I-95?

Old 09-01-2012, 06:49 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,808,058 times
Default Things to consider

I am currently reading Alan Ehrenhalt's The Great Inversion and the Future of the American City. It posits that from Chicago to New York to Washington, D.C. the pattern of poulation flight to the suburbs is reversing. That what the gist of my recent posts about the rise of the District of Columbia, which led to so much scorn by posters who choose to close their eyes to changing realities.

The salient point is that the Baltimore municipal government also buries its head in the sand.

Here Richard Florida continues the theme.
Why High-Tech Companies Are Moving to the City - WSJ.com

BTW. Under Armour, about the only sigfinicant Baltimore-headquartered company, took over Tide Point in Locust Point. But while I was driving near Soldier Delight in Baltimore County the other (and getting lost) I saw they also have a seemingly huge testing center in that area.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:26 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,956,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
757.7 to be exact. Baltimore is 80.8. However, Baltimore has 7 times the population density.

What's your point?

Are they not both large cities along I-95?
Jacksonville is country...

Old 09-02-2012, 08:36 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,808,058 times
Default Another reason why

With the new, double-wide Panama Canal opening in 2014, Baltimore still hasn't figured out a way how to take advantage of it.

Wardens of the red-headed stepchild have known for at least a decade that this was coming.

CSX looks at four Baltimore sites for new terminal - baltimoresun.com

Old 09-02-2012, 10:58 PM

513 posts, read 961,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfp View Post
Why would anyone vote for a party that wants to give health-care recipients a voucher to buy health-care insurance from an insurance company? Anyone who has ever dealt with a health-insurance company knows the problems that can occur when their health insurance company tries to wiggle off their obligations. Over time that voucher will cover less and less medical costs, and individuals will find themselves paying more and more for their medical treatment. A single-payer system that works in most other Western industrialized countries is the ideal solution; unfortunately Obama, wimp that he is, left the health care reform bill up to Max Baucus (D Sen Montana), and we got what we got.

Meanwhile, under Ryan's budget, taxes for the "job creators" earning over $1M will be reduced. Couple that with the increased payments by citizens for health care, and we see another example of how wealth is transferred from the middle class to the rich.

As for the national debt, tell me why if it is such a problem, US Treasury bonds are selling at an all-time low interest rate. The US treasury is still the safest place to deposit funds. The US is not Spain, Italy, Greece, Ireland or Iceland. (And what better time for the US Gov to borrow than at these all-time low interest rates?)

As far as gay marriage is concerned, it is the decent thing to do to not legislate against it. I hope Marylanders do the right thing in the upcoming referendum. Otherwise, twenty-five years from now folks will look back and see how primitively we behaved.

I almost sadistically hope the Repubs prevail and win the executive and both houses of Congress this election. I think living conditions for the poor (who usually don't vote) and middle class will so deteriorate that that the current constituency of the Repub party will be flushed down the toilet for decades to come.
That crazy talk. Look at baltimore, the same blocks that were poor in the 1980s are still poor now. Obama is about to sock it to everybody poor/middle/rich with his Obamacare tax. Any adult over 18 who does not have health insurance will pay 100 or 1% of his salary. Year year 2 it goes up to 225 and 3%. You dont know want to know about year 3/4.

The poor want to complain that the rich being households who make over 250K dont pay enough. That is laughable. The only rich people in the country not paying high taxes are the ones who have armies of lawyers/accountants who defer payments or register everything through their corporation.

Jindel/Christie/Rubio are the next wave of GOP candidates.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:04 AM
rfp

333 posts, read 690,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleanexec View Post
Obama is about to sock it to everybody poor/middle/rich with his Obamacare tax.
Everybody poor/middle/rich pays a hidden tax to cover those who arrive at a hospital emergency room without insurance or means to pay. Do you think hospitals just eat those costs? Hospitals are for-profit businesses, not charity organizations. Those costs are passed on to those with insurance or to those who can otherwise pay.

Obamacare tries to level the playing field by assessing a modest fee on everyone, even when they are healthy. That seems fair to me. It also seemed fair to the Supreme Court.

Obamacare assists those who cannot afford private medical insurance premiums. Unfortunately, it's a bonanza for the private insurance companies, as it requires people to buy insurance from a for-profit health insurance company. Obama should have pushed for a public option, i.e., a Medicare plan for all who wish to buy federal health insurance. (We seniors pay for Medicare with deductions from our S.S. payments.) The wealthy could opt out (remember, federal insurance would be an option) and buy private insurance instead. That would force private insurers to compete with the government in costs and services if they want to attract customers. I don't think private insurers could compete in an open market, and after a few years they would be out of the health insurance business.

But Obama being Obama, wimp that he is, is no FDR or LBJ, and we are stuck with for-profit insurance companies and Obamacare for years to come.

Quote:
Any adult over 18 who does not have health insurance will pay 100 or 1% of his salary. Year year 2 it goes up to 225 and 3%. You dont know want to know about year 3/4.
Currently any adult over 18 who does not have health insurance is financially screwed if they incur a major hospital expense. How happy are you with that?

Under the Ryan/Romney plan, anyone who reaches retirement age would be given a voucher and told to go on the market and buy their own insurance. Anyone who has dealt with private health insurance companies knows how well that works.

Under the Ryan plan, everyone is left pretty much on their own for medical care (and for most everything else). Thank you Ayn Rand.

Quote:
The poor want to complain that the rich being households who make over 250K dont pay enough. That is laughable. The only rich people in the country not paying high taxes are the ones who have armies of lawyers/accountants ...
You think the majority of those making over $250K don't have tax lawyers/accountants? That is what is laughable. I have not filled out an income tax form in thirty years (and my income is rather less than $250K).

US tax rates on the wealthy are at a historical low, as well as lower than in all other industrial countries.
Romney wants to drive them lower by, among other things, removing the tax on capital gains. Ryan said the lost revenue would be restored by cuts in spending. Guess where those cuts are coming from.

Quote:
Jindel/Christie/Rubio are the next wave of GOP candidates.
Looking forward four years down the road, are you? Given up for 2012?
  • Jindal proved he was a moron when he spoke in reply to Obama's state-of-the-union address a few years back;
  • Christe is a bully (but Republicans like those types); and
  • Rubio is an attempt to win the Hispanic vote (but most Hispanics are smarter than that).
What saddens me most is that quite a few Americans buy into the Republican lies and clap-trap. I look upon the upcoming election as an I.Q. test for US citizens. I think Obama will win, but not by the margin that an informed and thinking public should give him.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:59 AM

575 posts, read 554,325 times
I see a bunch of partisan hacks on both sides of the isle posting in this thread. Either its someone blaming Democrats (and Obama) for the city's troubles or somebody else is claiming the GOP doesn't give a damn about certain people in Baltimore.

If you cant' take your blinders off for a couple of minutes then don't post in here.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:11 AM

2,713 posts, read 3,023,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfp View Post
Looking forward four years down the road, are you? Given up for 2012?
  • Jindal proved he was a moron when he spoke in reply to Obama's state-of-the-union address a few years back;
  • Christe is a bully (but Republicans like those types); and
  • Rubio is an attempt to win the Hispanic vote (but most Hispanics are smarter than that).
Republicans biggest mistake was not being able to convince Christie to run, he would have debated Obama back to Chicago, or Hawaii, or Indonesia, or Kenya.....Whatever....pluto?

Quote:
Rubio is an attempt to win the Hispanic vote..
That strategy worked for the democrats. As we now know some don't vote for political values, personal values, or what some candidates/politicians have accomplished or are promising to accomplish..

Old 09-03-2012, 09:21 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,513,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
Republicans biggest mistake was not being able to convince Christie to run, he would have debated Obama back to Chicago, or Hawaii, or Indonesia, or Kenya.....Whatever....pluto?

That strategy worked for the democrats. As we now know some don't vote for political values, personal values, or what some candidates/politicians have accomplished or are promising to accomplish..
So not only is Obama not a US citizen he's an alien now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore