Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2012, 12:57 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvaderBryce View Post
The only way Dems will have a chance to unseat Harris is if they put forth a Conservative Democrat (fiscally conservative, socially moderate). I'd run, but I'm not 25, nor do I live in the districts so I can't do it.
Ever read about the financing of Harris' campaign back in '10?

From WIKI but well-sourced:

As a result of the SCOTUS decision on Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission, a so-called Super PAC group called The Concerned Taxpayers of America paid $150,000 for ads attacking Kratovil, and $300,000 for ads attacking Peter DeFazio of Oregon. It was not revealed until the mid-October 2010 quarterly FEC filings that the group was solely funded by $300,000 from Daniel G. Schuster Inc., a concrete firm in Owings Mills, Maryland, and $200,000 from New York hedge fund executive Robert Mercer, the co-head of Renaissance Technologies of Setauket, New York. The FEC filings prior to then listed only a Capitol Hill address and Republican political consultant Jason Miller as treasurer. According to Dan Eggen at The Washington Post, the group claims "it was formed in September 'to engage citizens from every walk of life and political affiliation' in the fight against 'runaway spending.'" The only expenditures have been for these ads. Schuster is the top contributor to Kratovil's Republican opponent, Andy Harris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 02:03 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,805,637 times
Default Excuses

InvaderBryce -- What a sorry sack you are, full of excuses.

Number one, I don't believe for a minute your age disclaimer.

Number two, in a Maryland appeals court case, Boston vs. Blount, the court ruled that because the incumbent senator Blount had his heart in his city district, even though he lived in a different district in Baltimore County, he was qualified to seek re-election. So you better think of a better excuse to justify your lethargy.

As to Dr. Andy, I once spent a day to see how he campaigned. In Essex-Middle River. Don't think that he can't be defeated.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:46 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post

Number two, in a Maryland appeals court case, Boston vs. Blount, the court ruled that because the incumbent senator Blount had his heart in his city district, even though he lived in a different district in Baltimore County, he was qualified to seek re-election. So you better think of a better excuse to justify your lethargy.

As to Dr. Andy, I once spent a day to see how he campaigned. In Essex-Middle River. Don't think that he can't be defeated.
Members of the US House of Representatives don't have to live in the districts they seek election in, just the state. This has nothing to do with any MD court case, it is in the Constitution.

Article I, Section 2 of the Constitution sets three qualifications for representatives. Each representative must: (1) be at least twenty-five years old; (2) have been a citizen of the United States for the past seven years; and (3) be (at the time of the election) an inhabitant of the state they represent.

And at age 25, InvaderBrice can run!

Harris was beaten once, so there is precedent there. He is in a heavy GOP district though. Maryland chose to target Bartlett, not Harris in the redistricting process, so I have a feeling he is there to stay for awhile.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:39 PM

Default Boys are boys

You may be right; I don't know. But senator Clarence Blount was a Democratic state senator from Baltimore City whose eligibility was challenged by a primary election opponent, erstwhile Delegate, Frank Boston. The appeals court ruling stands.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
You may be right; I don't know. But senator Clarence Blount was a Democratic state senator from Baltimore City whose eligibility was challenged by a primary election opponent, erstwhile Delegate, Frank Boston. The appeals court ruling stands.
State vs Federal elections is the point of difference here. The Maryland State Constitution does require candidates for the General Assembly to be residents in the districts they wish to represent.

Article III, § 9, of the Maryland Constitution requires that, to be eligible to serve as a member of the General Assembly, a person must have “resided” in the legislative district which he or she has been chosen to represent for at least six months prior to the election or, if the district has not been established for six months, for as long as it has been established.

I just skimmed the case, but it appears that Mr. Blount won because of how the Appeals Court defined the term "resided."

BLOUNT v. BOSTON, No.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:59 PM

575 posts, read 554,079 times
Quote:

I'm 21 and even if I was 25, I don't live in his district. I was merely giving a suggestion as to how the Dems can beat Harris in the future.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvaderBryce View Post
I'm 21 and even if I was 25, I don't live in his district. I was merely giving a suggestion as to how the Dems can beat Harris in the future.
My bad, I thought you said you were 25.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:38 PM

Default Time to start organizing

InvaderBryce -- Use these remaining years to get your ducks in a row so that you can conquer the world when you can run. Good luck.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:55 PM

575 posts, read 554,079 times
Quote:
InvaderBryce -- Use these remaining years to get your ducks in a row so that you can conquer the world when you can run. Good luck.
LOL. Thanks, I'll make sure to keep that in mind.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:31 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,286,774 times
Never mind -- James Bond will not permit anyone to conquer the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore