Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 09:11 AM

13,340 posts, read 26,827,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartChick411 View Post
Anyhow, if anyone has an feedback on the Westerlee, Queens ridge apartments, or any other apartments in or NEAR catonsville, please let me know.
I just have the usual cautions that they have walls where you can hear everything your neighbor does. They may have badly behaved kids, and people who leave trash outside and don't pick up dog poop. If you could afford a single family house or duplex, your life would be better.

The last time I saw Westerlee, it looked realtively clean, and better than the inexpensive places in Windsor Mill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 09:35 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,545,307 times
Quote:
I guess I should of addressed the kid situation earlier. I just wanted feed back about apartments in or near Catonsville.
Gotcha. Earlier I outlined the perimeter of Catonsville "proper":
Catonsville = WEST of the Beltway (I-695) and SOUTH of Balt Nat'l Pike (US 40)
but NORTH of the UMBC Campus (then going west to Ellicott City)
(get a map)

You're not going to find what you want inside those lines.
Looking at a map expand the search but stay inside the COUNTY.

I used to live on this street:
Charming home with so many extra features! kitchen with ss appliances,

It's a terrifically convenient location.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I used to live on this street:
Charming home with so many extra features! kitchen with ss appliances,

It's a terrifically convenient location.
Agreed. If this house is still available, it would be a good location. You can walk to the grocery store, and it's a low traffic area. But I never expected to see a house at $1000/per month, so I'm assuming utilities are extra. if the OP is interested, they should ask about the heat and AC. The house is also for sale, and the realtor say it has central AC and forced air heat.

Last edited by goldenage1; 07-18-2012 at 10:29 AM..

Old 07-18-2012, 10:48 AM

12 posts, read 27,632 times
Thank you both for your help! I contacted the person about the house listed above. I am starting to understand Catonsville apartments are not like others. Noise is definitely a factor when all the apartments are right next to each other. I'm continue looking for houses on craigslist. I'm using google maps to map the distance from catonsville. The only downside is, I won't know if a neighborhood is safe or not. For example, Randallstown is close by but is it a safe area. Any idea how to search for safety on the web? I think there is a site with stats but not as accurate.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
The only downside is, I won't know if a neighborhood is safe or not.
Any idea how to search for safety on the web?
Nope. Safety is a far too subjective term.
Some have an absolutist view while others will be rather laissez faire.

If you aren't already in town... find some short term place to stay.
Use that as a base for the up close and personal look you really must do.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:07 AM

I'm contacting some of the "owners' of houses for rent on craigslist and based on their replies, i'm coming across more scams than legitimate owners.
2 replies for 2 different homes had very similar replies, stating they are mission workers outside the country and will only give me the keys after I pay a deposit. I can "drive by" to see the house. LOL
Those planned communities are looking mighty appealing lol

Old 07-18-2012, 11:12 AM

Mr. Rational, unfortunately the add you posted was a scam. It's unfortunate that there are people out there who try to take advantage of hard working people. I'll keep looking. Thanks for all your advice.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
For example, Randallstown is close by but is it a safe area. Any idea how to search for safety on the web? I think there is a site with stats but not as accurate.
I use spotcrime.com, and plug in a specific address. It tells you about where incidents and arrest have occurred recently. You might also use the Baltimore Sun website for recent arrest reports. Most of what you will see in Baltimore County is property crime. If there is violence, it is more often people who know each other, not a random attack.

It's my subjective opinion, but I don't feel safe in most of the apartments and townhouses in Randallstown, as there are many low-income people. A single family or duplex is probably OK. Another factor when you look at townhouses is whether there is adequate parking. Many of the newer TH communities in Windsor Mill are packed together and there's little parking.

I also suggest looking on Realtor.com. Check the 21228, 21207 and 21244 zip codes. Many of the neighborhoods are middle-income African American areas, and many people work at the Social Security headquarters.. I am white and lived in a townhouse in 21207, and felt quite safe. For example, there is a house on Kriel St in 21207 at $995. As it is a Realtor's listing, it should not be a scam. A friend lived in the St. Agnes Apartments, which are cheap, but had window A/C units.

Last edited by goldenage1; 07-18-2012 at 11:50 AM..

Old 07-18-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Mr. Rational, unfortunately the add you posted was a scam.
Say la vee. It happens.
I ran the address... the house is listed as being for sale

As said... you really can't do this online or (well) in a rush.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
For example, Randallstown is close by but is it a safe area. Any idea how to search for safety on the web? I think there is a site with stats but not as accurate.
I use spotcrime.com, and plug in a specific address. It tells you about where incidents have occurred recently.

It's my subjective opinion, but I don't feel safe in most of the apartments and townhouses in Randallstown, as there are many low-income people. A single family or duplex is probably OK. Another factor when you look at townhouses is whether there is adequate parking. Many of the newer TH communities in Windsor Mill are packed together and there's little parking.

Please also check Realtor.com for rentals in 21228, 21207 and 21244. There's a house on Kriel St. in 21207 at $995. As it is a Realtor's ad, it should not be a scam. Many of these areas are middle-income African American with people who work at the Social Security headquarters. I am white, and lived in a townhouse in 21207, and felt quite safe. Another friend lived in the St. Agnes Apartments, which are cheap but have only window A/C units.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore