Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 10:06 PM

12 posts, read 27,734 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm new to the forum and soon to be new resident of Maryland. I'm moving to Baltimore in a few months and am diligently looking for apartments that meet my family's budget. For personal reasons, we need a 2 bedroom apartment near the Catonsville area but cannot afford to pay more than $1000. I am not familiar with the neighborhoods in terms of safety. We have a car so thats a plus.
Any recommendations? I think I like the Westerlee but that's out of our budget. Anything similar in terms of clean, quiet neighborhood. We don't mind not having a fancy gym or pool, but definitely don't want to live in an unsafe or unclean apartment complex.
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 03:08 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartChick411 View Post
I'm moving to Baltimore in a few months and am diligently looking for apartments that meet my family's budget. For personal reasons, we need a 2 bedroom apartment near the Catonsville area but cannot afford to pay more than $1000. I think I like the Westerlee but that's out of our budget.
Assuming you have kids then school district is the ONE AND ONLY criteria.
If Westerlee Apt's are too much I think you're sunk w/r/t "Catonsville"

You might look for a small house with a private LL

The closest a quick look in CL got was Melvin Park
Putting Affordability First

'It All Started on Winters Lane'

Old 07-17-2012, 03:19 PM

Thanks MrRational. I'll look into Melvin Park. I don't mind living a 10 minute drive from Catonsville.
Windsor Park isn't too far correct? Any thoughts on Queen Ridge apartments. They seem spacious and affordable but they have gotten horrible reviews online. So i'm worried about signing up for something i'll regret later.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:05 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
If you have kids in school, I think it would be preferrable to have them in a Catonsville school district. Queens Ridge is probably in one of the Windsor Mill schools. There are big differences in the quality of the schools, so check that out. I suspect Melvin Park is in the Catonsville school district.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Thanks MrRational. I'll look into Melvin Park.
So i'm worried about signing up for something i'll regret later.
Catonsville = WEST of the Beltway (I-695) and SOUTH of Balt Nat'l Pike (US 40)
but NORTH of the UMBC Campus (then going west to Ellicott City)
(get a map)

Some of the Catonsville school "capture areas" will go past these lines.
But you REALLY can't (not *shouldn't* -can't!) go past the school capture lines.
The apartment complexes know this and rents will reflect it.
---

You haven't mentioned where you'll be working.
That is usually the first hurdle when choosing a home.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:25 PM

I am not concerned about the school district because I don't have kids. I don't know why everyone assumed I had kids lol
I guess maybe because I said I needed a two bedroom apartment. So the catonsville school district is not a concern for me. My original question was, for personal reasons, I need to live in or NEAR the Catonsville region. I will be working in the city of Baltimore but it's not more than a 20 minute drive so I'm okay with that. However, living far from catonsville is not an option for me. So any suggestions? Any experience with the Queen ridge apartments? I realize it's in Windsor mill is not in catonsville but it is close right?
Also, I spoke with someone at Westerlee apartments and they do have cheaper 2 bedrooms available for about $1000 which I can afford. Anyone have any feedback for Westerlee? Are they clean? How is the management in terms of getting something fixed?
Thanks

Old 07-17-2012, 10:27 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Any experience with the Queen ridge apartments? I realize it's in Windsor mill is not in catonsville but it is close right?
Also, I spoke with someone at Westerlee apartments and they do have cheaper 2 bedrooms available for about $1000 which I can afford. Anyone have any feedback for Westerlee?
First, I assumed you had children because you said you were moving family.

Next, Windsor Mill is close to Catonsville, and it's maybe a bit further to downtown Baltimore. I've driven past the Queen Ridge place. My only comment is that I think the Westerlee would be a quieter place, as it is back from traffic. I've liked the Westerlee's location and amenities, but don't know about cleanliness or maintenance.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:59 PM

Thank you Goldenage1 for your input. Yes, living in a quiet neighborhood is plus.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:18 AM

Quote:
My original question was (phrased) "looking for apartments that meet my family's budget.
For personal reasons, we need..."

I don't know why everyone assumed I had kids
Really? The question of kids/schools was raised earlier and not addressed by you then.
Absent kids and schools most won't pay the higher costs of or choose the white pocket fence areas.

If your "family need" is something else (an elderly relative perhaps) and you don't describe
that need (at least generally) then you'll continue to get poor results.

Quote:
I will be working in the city of Baltimore...
However, living far from catonsville is not an option for me. So any suggestions?
That still leaves the $1000 rent (+utilities?) per month constriction.
As for the development apartments? Meh on the whole lot of them.
Go to those places only when you have no choice but to.

If the need is solely for YOU... my suggestion is to check the house SHARES.
Not as a forever solution but for up to one year to allow you time to look more carefully.

Odd little conversion situations are all over c'ville but few ever get advertised...
other than word of mouth and through back channels among locals.

Last edited by MrRational; 07-18-2012 at 06:14 AM..

Old 07-18-2012, 08:46 AM

Mr. Rational,
I guess I should of addressed the kid situation earlier. I just wanted feed back about apartments in or near Catonsville. I didn't realize people would only focus on school districts. I understand that's the first and most important for all parents.
Anyhow, why do you say "meh" about development apartments? Any specific reason? I would love to live in a nice spacious house for rent but first, I don't have the luxury to come down to baltimore to look for the apartments. Maybe that will be an option once i'm already living in baltimore.
Second, the fact that those places are available through "back channels among locals" helps me HOW? That is precisely I posted in a Baltimore community forum, so that I could get that inside view.
Also, when I said my family is moving, it's my husband and I and I consider ourselves to be a family, with or without kids.
Anyhow, if anyone has an feedback on the Westerlee, Queens ridge apartments, or any other apartments in or NEAR catonsville, please let me know.
Thanks in advance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore