Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 09:42 AM

23 posts, read 46,636 times

Advertisements

Filed for the permits this morning. The office was slow but not that awful to deal with. I expected it to be hellish, it was more like purgatory. Of course there were complications though, apparently the electrician who did my breaker panel has some kind of block on his license (of course this did not show up on the DLLR's license search page ). Now I need to contact him and get him to fax a letter to the city saying it's ok to pull a permit using his license #. Blah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 12:54 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichy View Post
...the electrician who did my breaker panel has some kind of block on his license
(of course this did not show up on the DLLR's license search page.
The DLLR is for the actual statewide electricians license.
The City likes to hit them up for their own extortion.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:13 PM

23 posts, read 46,636 times
You need separate city and state licenses to be an electrician?

Old 08-03-2012, 06:47 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,455,865 times
Quote:
I don't know about electricians, but my FIL, a master mechanic, had to renew a separate Baltimore City gas fitter's license annually. All the work he'd done over 4 decades in Md, DC adn VA and Baltimore City has to get their extra $50/year...

Old 08-03-2012, 08:25 AM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Quote:

I wouldnt think so since I believe licenses for trades are granted at the State Level.. The City may require that they have a business license. If they are requiring them to have some form of separate licensing or additional certification it may be because certain sections of the Internationl Building Code that may not have been adopted by the State have been adopted by the City.. Baltimore has so many old buildings that the City may want some extra assurance that someone who is licensed in one of the trades.. especially electrical and plumbing/gas knows what there doing in working in these older structures that may not be an issue in the unincorporated areas of the state.. If your mcmansion in the suburbs blows up.. likely only you are affected.. if your rowhouse blows up.. a whole city block could be devastated. With fire stations closing down annually.. the city may need to make sure that the contractor gets it right the first time.. thus uping the requirements for license and bonds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: