Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2012, 02:38 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,507,409 times

Advertisements

so when we were in town for artscape, we very briefly checked out the Fitzgerald (as in walked in to the lobby to escape the heat)

Seemed like a nice building, comparable to standard new high amenity DC buildings (except checking later, the 2Brs run for about what a 1BR in a good but not perfect part of DC would go for).

Seems like a good location - short walk to Penn Station, but the "good side" of the station from North Avenue, right on the light rail line (is the noise a problem?) , close to Bolton Hill, cultural district, Mount Vernon. A good choice for empty nesters or childless DC commuters?

Anyone know it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 03:03 PM

7,305 posts, read 13,446,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
so when we were in town for artscape, we very briefly checked out the Fitzgerald (as in walked in to the lobby to escape the heat)

Seemed like a nice building, comparable to standard new high amenity DC buildings (except checking later, the 2Brs run for about what a 1BR in a good but not perfect part of DC would go for).

Seems like a good location - short walk to Penn Station, but the "good side" of the station from North Avenue, right on the light rail line (is the noise a problem?) , close to Bolton Hill, cultural district, Mount Vernon. A good choice for empty nesters or childless DC commuters?

Anyone know it?
I've not been in it, but I'd have no troubles living in the area. It's a bit of a walk to the Mt Vernon amenities. Two Boots Pizza is good, and the Mt Royal Tavern provides ... local color. The light rail, while of limited utility, is right there at least.

Of late, the Meyerhoff has been having performances that are more interesting to the under-100 crowd. Pretty cool to walk to that and the other little theaters in Mt V.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:10 PM

7,305 posts, read 13,446,814 times
Oh yeah, you asked about noise. As the light rail turns onto Howard St, it does squeal a bit. Also the B&O (CSX) Mount Royal cut is across the street from the Fitz. So that could be a concern as well. There's no real tough angles there so I don't think the freight trains will do much squealing, just some thump-thumping. I doubt you'd be able to hear it in a new building.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:02 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,459,673 times
Quote:

Anyone know it?
I'm not saying that you should not rent there, but just know that having seen the building during construction, that the only thing separating apartments are drywall (and maybe a bit of insulation). So, if you're currently living in an older building with brick/concrete separation between units, you probably shouldn’t expect the same level of low noise emanating from your neighbor’s apartment. I would ask to be taken to a unit that is next to one currently being occupied to make a personal assessment of potential noise.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:29 PM

781 posts, read 1,191,030 times
Check out apartment ratings.com, granted, it's only a small subset of the resident population providing reviews, but, some users specifically refer to the Light Rail / freight train noise in their posts. I considered the building myself but was concerned about noise, especially as the rents are on the higher end of the spectrum for the city. I also recall people discussing this topic on this board at one point, do a search, you should be able to find some further information.

Bozzuto also has another property, McHenry Row, south of Federal Hill; similar amenities, grocery store within the complex, may be a place to consider.

Lastly, a good pal lived at the property for a year, was offered a discount upon move-in, (pretty sure it was one month prorated over course of lease), and, then at renewal time, received a $400 rent hike for her 2 bedroom apartment and she had to relocate, couldn't justify the expense. Rent hike = no more discount, and, an approximate $200 increase layered on top. The property was almost completely occupied at that point (there's a lot of UB / MICA students who double up there), hence, she had no negotiating leverage. Just something to consider, as this is Baltimore, not DC or Manhattan...

Old 08-16-2012, 01:25 PM

8,143 posts, read 13,198,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Oh yeah, you asked about noise. As the light rail turns onto Howard St, it does squeal a bit. Also the B&O (CSX) Mount Royal cut is across the street from the Fitz. So that could be a concern as well. There's no real tough angles there so I don't think the freight trains will do much squealing, just some thump-thumping. I doubt you'd be able to hear it in a new building.

Yeah... that along with the buzz from 83, and the clickty clack from Amtrak/MARC at Penn, freight traffic in the Howard Street Tunnel..along with the Light Rail's shrill horn every now and then.. but hey thats City Life. I have never been in a unit but I imagine that the glass/doors to the exterior have to be sound proof.. Now the sounds between the units may be more problematic given the post concerning the quality of the construction....

Old 08-24-2012, 08:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,490 times
I briefly considered The Fitzgerald until I realized that for the amount of square footage and the price I could buy a condo, pay the same amount, and get more space... amenities were not as much of a selling point for me. Plus tack on parking if you need to have a car... and the noise from the light rail didn't seem that appealing.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:05 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,020,018 times
Quote:

Anyone know it?
One of my closest friends lives there. It's a great place. She loves living there, and I love visiting her there. I was also surprised at how quiet it is. You can't hear your neighbors at all. I thought for sure it would be loud being so close to MICA. Nope. Quiet as can be, clean, and pet-friendly. My three favorite things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore