U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 02:41 PM

69 posts, read 168,541 times

Advertisements

hello!

Google maps put the driving time between columbia / ellicott city to cockeysville between 30-40 minutes. Is this accurate? Is this with heavy or light traffic? What is this commute really like?

Also, what is the difference between Columbia and Ellicott City? I often see them kind of lumped together in news articles.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 02:43 PM

32,456 posts, read 75,424,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingveg View Post
Google maps put the driving time between columbia / ellicott city to cockeysville between 30-40 minutes. Is this accurate? Is this with heavy or light traffic? What is this commute really like?
Their example is 2AM, with no traffic and in clear weather.

Whichever of these has the job... is where you want to live.
Both are nice areas.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:49 PM

2,270 posts, read 8,748,347 times
Both Columbia and Ellicott City are in Howard County, and Howard County actually has no incorporated cities. They are US Post Office mailing addresses. You might find it helpful to read the wikipedia entries on both places. Ellicott City has existed in some form for since 1772; the historic district is very nice, but a lot of "Ellicott City" now is newer development. Columbia is a planned community that dates from the late 1960s. Most properties with Columbia addresses are part of the Columbia Association, which is essentially a very large HOA. There are very nice trails, common spaces, and athletic facilities throughout Columbia, but there are also annual dues and architectural controls.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:41 PM

Thanks for the comments so far!

The job is in Cockeysville, but since we have asthma / breathing issues in our family, we need to live a bit further west where the air is cleaner. According to bestplaces, baltimore county's air quality is rated 5.6 out of 100, but it jumps up to about 37 for Columbia and Ellicott City.

In any case, I was hoping to get a more accurate description of what the commute would be like driving from Columbia or EC to Cockeysville.

Thanks again!

Old 08-11-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
The job is in Cockeysville
Hereford Zone, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Once on I-83 (the measure of all commuting to C'ville) it's a 10 minute drive.

You really, really, really don't want to drive to EC every day.
Once a week? Sure. Not twice a day.

If you have legitimate health issues that require some other mini climate...
find another job out there.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:54 PM

Thank you so much for the Hereford Zone info! I've never heard of that. Tornadoes aside, I feel like we have more options now. We've been considering Columbia / EC because we have the impression that they're also good for raising kids. We have a 3 yr-old and a 1 yr-old.

I was thinking more about how I asked about Columbia and EC. I should've asked if I can get general impressions of each place.. for example, when I was looking into the capital region of new york state, one person said that saratoga springs had more of a "soccer mom" feel to it than schenectady, but it had lower property taxes, while another person said they felt albany was more "upscale" than schenectady. Just examples of general impressions. My general impressions of C and EC are that they're both basically suburbia? One is older...

Old 08-11-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
We've been considering Columbia / EC because we have the impression that they're also good for raising kids. My general impressions of C and EC are that they're both basically suburbia? One is older...
Correct. They also have some of the most expensive housing stock in a 500 mile radius.
But Cockeysville and Hunt Valley and Butler and Monkton are no slouches on the prices either

Old 08-11-2012, 06:59 PM

Thanks again, MrRational. Unfortunately, we don't have many choices for jobs.. it's either the one in cockeysville, or possibly one in boston. Boston is even more expensive, more congested, worse traffic, etc. Once we live in the region, though, and once I return to work, too, we'll be looking around Columbia for my job. So maybe we'll have to suffer with my husband having a bad commute for a year, with the hope that maybe eventually we'll both be working closer to home. But who knows... :|

Old 08-11-2012, 07:54 PM

6,244 posts, read 9,246,295 times
I would think you'd be able to do EC to Cockeysville in about an hour most days.

That said, the Cockeysville area is pretty nice, and I don't think the air quality is much less than Columbia/EC (and is probably even better as you go further north on 83). I would imagine Baltimore County's air quality score might be brought down by the wastewater treatment plant in Dundalk?

Old 08-11-2012, 10:40 PM

1,161 posts, read 2,250,202 times
I'm a little surprised at the huge variation in air quality ranking. I worked in Howard County for years and never noticed a difference in the air.

The areas north of Cockeysville towards the Pennsylvania line trends to the quasi rural, especially the further away from I-83 corridor. I won't believe that the air quality can be worse than the Columbia area, especially as Maryland's horse country begins outside Cockeysville.

There is no difference in the quality of life between the Howard County suburbs and the north-central Baltimore county suburbs along I-83. If your husband is working in Cockeysville, live in Cockeysville, Timonium, Phoenix, Monkton, Hereford or Hunt Valley. Where you live will be determined by what you can afford as none of these areas are particularly cheap especially for a single family house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>