Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2012, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,584 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've just moved to Baltimore to start a job at UMBC. I'm staying in a place in Catonsville for a few weeks but am looking to move into the city because I am young (early 20's) and single and would like to be in an area with a lot going on.

If I was to find a place in Fells Point, how would the commute be from Fells to the UMBC campus? According to google, it is about an 11 mile trip, 20-25 minutes, taking Lombard to 395 to 95. Is this a reasonable commute? My thought was that most people would be commuting into the city from the suburbs, so I might have less traffic with a bit of a "reverse commute".

I've also thought about Federal Hill since it is close to 95, but it seems to run a little more expensive and I think I would prefer the atmosphere of Fells from what I have been told about the two areas.

Any help would be great! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 07:24 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
Sounds good to me. Go to whichever neighborhood you like best. Federal hill has easier access, sure, but if you think it sucks, live elsewhere. Also consider Mt Vernon and commuting via Rt. 40.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:53 PM

418 posts, read 1,734,090 times
The hardest part is going through downtown to get to 95. Once you're on 95, you can get to UMBC in very little time. The "reverse commute" does apply to being on 95, but not downtown, which will be a bit congested in all directions.

Yes, Federal Hill is easier since you can just jump right on 95. I personally prefer Fells Point, although it has its headaches (esp. on weekends). But Federal Hill's nice too. Hang out in each before getting a place!

Old 08-13-2012, 09:50 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,898,980 times
To get to UMBC from fells you have to get to 95. You either have to cut through the harbor and heart of downtown or go through canton to get to 95 which would take 5 minutes. 95 will be no problem, but downtown can be a major pain. Commuting from Fed Hill will be general less than 10 minutes, Canton about 15, but fells you are probably looking a half an hour.. maybe even more... probably at least 20 through canton but you have to take the tunnel.

It's not a terrible commute, there are much worse, but being closer to 95 would make life a bit easier. If you love Fells you can also take a free bus there from Fed Hill or get a place in the western part of Canton and walk.

If you are working off hours... avoiding rush hour, then there would be no issues at all.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:56 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
When I lived in Highlandtown about a year ago I would often go through downtown to avoid taking the tunnel (didn't have a specific commuting location but traveled a lot). IIRC the morning was not completely awful, the hardest part was turning left onto Lombard from President (would usually take a few light cycles). Lombard was heavy, but manageable, and then you should be good when you get to 395.

However getting back was a little trickier because you probably have to take Pratt which is a pain. You can go north to Baltimore but it never seemed to save any time. The best way I found was to turn right on Conway and then left onto Light which cuts off a little bit of Pratt. However I moved right before the Baltimore Grand Prix and I know they were doing some construction in that area so I have no idea if any of the changes they made were permanent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: