Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 05:30 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,510,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
With the office in New Freedom, maybe you should be considering York, PA.
Yeah I tend to agree. You could even bike there on nice days! Northern Central & York County Heritage Trails - D.C. Rail Trail

New Freedom is nice and quiet, if that appeals to you. I like a lot of the small old railroad towns in that valley.

In York, you get a farmers market 3 days a week! PennStreetFarmersMarket

PA will be much more affordable and probably offer a more down-to-earth feel than any of the northern Baltimore County communities, which are all quite wealthy (along 83)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 08:17 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrophwg View Post
New Freedom, PA is the actual town where the office is located.
...want a manageable commute.
Then the question becomes one of how difficult it is to get onto I-83 North.
(from wherever it is that you live)

That will a LOT easier if you start north of 695...
and near one of the roads that leads to an I-83 entrance ramp.
(Timonium Rd at 83 to New Freedom is almost 30 miles)

Mt Washington can still work... but it will be PITA to be endured in traffic/weather.
(Getting to 83 at Timonium Rd is another 10 road miles from the Kelly Ave bridge)

Old 08-21-2012, 09:30 AM

5 posts, read 5,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
With the office in New Freedom, maybe you should be considering York, PA.
I understand that logic, but I will have to travel a lot for work and would want to be closer to BWI. York is also too small. In fact, it's smaller than the suburb we live in now. We live in a Metro area of 3 Million. We like Suburb living for the quality of Schools, Parks, Recreation, etc. but really enjoy traveling to the city to experience the rich culture you just don't get in a small town, or planned community. I think living in Baltimore County would give us the best of everything. My wife and kids also want to be as close the Ocean as possible.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Then the question becomes one of how difficult it is to get onto I-83 North.
(from wherever it is that you live)

That will a LOT easier if you start north of 695...
and near one of the roads that leads to an I-83 entrance ramp.
(Timonium Rd at 83 to New Freedom is almost 30 miles)

Mt Washington can still work... but it will be PITA to be endured in traffic/weather.
(Getting to 83 at Timonium Rd is another 10 road miles from the Kelly Ave bridge)
How about Cockeysville? Remember that I don't have to make that commute every day. I will be doing a lot of air travel to customers, and when I'm in town, will be heading to the office for meetings.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
How about Cockeysville? Remember that I don't have to make that commute every day. I will be doing a lot of air travel to customers, and when I'm in town, will be heading to the office for meetings.
Sure. Cockeysville would work. Check out Hereford as well.

You'd be close to Oregon Ridge Park , one of the nicest in the area.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:45 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,593,147 times
Quote:
Hello everyone,

I have a job opportunity that would require relocation to the Baltimore area from the Twin Cities. The office is located on the MD/PA border so I was targeting the Northern suburbs of Baltimore County. I have 8 and 10 year old boys who love the outdoors and are very active. It seems that Maryland and Minnesota are very similar in Quality of Life, Recreational Opportunities, Parks/Green Space, Quality of Education, and most of the other major evaluation criteria. Where the Baltimore Maryland area seems to have an advantage is certainly the milder climate, close proximity to some incredible Metro areas via high speed trains, the Atlantic Ocean beaches within a couple of hours, etc. Definite plus and minuses for both.

I have visited Baltimore on business several times and have always had a good experience. I'm assuming that living in the suburbs in Maryland is very similar to any other major city. My family's views and lifestyle tend to be on the liberal side which is definitely important when selecting an area to relocate to. Are there any northern suburbs I should be targeting? I want farmers markets, Non-Chain Restaurants, and neighbors who believe in a sustainable community environment and lifestyle. Are there areas we should avoid? Uptight Right Wing Religious Communities would definitely be a bad fit for us.

Thanks for your help, comments, and recommendations.
You understand that suburban Baltimore County has no incorporated towns or cities? That makes it a bit different from the mid-west. So when looking for a residence, people refer to a general area which often has it's assets and liabilities. Your best bet would be to come out, rent for awhile, and explore. Catonsville is for the most-part a nice area but buyer beware in terms of exact locations. The two largest farmers markets are in the city: Waverly neighborhood on Saturdays and downtown on Sundays.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Sure. Anywhere in that corridor is fine.
And since you mention BWI... that makes the light rail practical too.

About the only thing you won't find nearby is a replacement for just running down Lex
from Turtle Lake or Roseville to Grand for a visit to The Creamery

Old 08-21-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Sure. Anywhere in that corridor is fine.
And since you mention BWI... that makes the light rail practical too.

About the only thing you won't find nearby is a replacement for just running down Lex
from Turtle Lake or Roseville to Grand for a visit to The Creamery
The Creamery is good, but Nelson's in Stillwater is over the top ridiculous when it comes to the shear volume of ice cream they give you. It's hard to finish a kid's cone.

Lots of great places, things to do, and fond memories here which is making this decision pretty tough.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:25 AM

I've known two Minnesotans who didn't realize how much they loved Minnesota until they lived in Baltimore. That was in the city, though, so a completely different experience to anywhere you are looking.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Lots of great places, things to do, and fond memories here which is making this decision pretty tough.
You'll also have to switch from John Sanford to Laura Lippman
It'll be OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore