Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2012, 10:25 PM

3 posts, read 12,494 times

Advertisements

Here is my situation:
I'll be moving to Baltimore in January. I will be working in a building right on the harbor (think world trade center, transamerica tower, etc) and need to find an apartment. I've done a fair bit of searching online, yielding such properties as avalon centerpoint, the standard, the zenith, inner harbor lofts, etc. My budget will be around 1000 to 1200 all in (that is with utilities, parking, etc) preferably. I could maybe go above that, but i'd prefer not to if possible. I would like to live as close to work as possible, so as to lessen the commute time. I'm also a 23 year old recent college grad, so I'd like to be around other younger people and not too far from various bars, restaurants and the like. I'm decently street smart, however I'd (obviously) prefer to live in as low-crime of an area as possible.

I understand everyones opinion is different, but if you were in my situation and didnt want to spend much more than 1200 a month, what neighborhood would you be living in and what building(s). Also, assuming the area you choose is less than walking distance away from my work area, what would be your preferred method of transportation (other than driving....I haven't found out what the parking situation with my building is yet)?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 07:32 AM

181 posts, read 633,889 times
I think most of those buildings you mentioned are going to be way over your budget, especially the Zenith and the Standard. Most professionally managed buildings downtown charge around $100/month for parking--in addition to rent.........then you have utilities.
Your best bet is to rent around the Hopkins Homewood campus or in Hampden and take either the light rail or bus to work. You can still drive once you learn your way around.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:07 AM

65 posts, read 158,879 times
I agree, your budget is too low for the buildings you mentioned. Any apartment within walking distance of the inner harbor is probably going to be at least $1200/1 BR, not including utilities or parking.

In addition to the above suggestion, I'd look into Mt. Vernon and Federal Hill, which are within a short bus commute of the inner harbor and are popular neighborhoods for 20-somethings (especially Federal Hill). Both neighborhoods are safe. I know Mt. Vernon has a couple of large apartment complexes (similar to the ones you described, but with fewer amenities) that may fit your budget. But both neighborhoods have other renting options as well, particularly row houses, that may be cheaper.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:51 AM

181 posts, read 633,889 times
Yes, it's going to be difficult to live in one of those big apartment buildings you found online in order to stay within your budget.

Mt. Vernon is doable, as you could probably find an apartment in one of those converted townhouses for under your budget, so you'd be sharing the building with, perhaps, 3-10 other apartments. Depending on the location, you could walk to work, or just take the bus. Don't expect any fancy amenities, though. However, you'd be around a bunch of other young people, including some bars and restaurants. Mt. Vernon has a huge gay population, though not in a majority, and a fair number of the clubs and bars in the area cater to that demographic. "Safe" is a relative term here in Bmore. And certainly there've been a number of incidents in MV to cause concern. A car in Mt. Vernon is a liability; it's almost like living in New York City. Parking is tough if you come home late, is strictly enforced, and car break-ins are rampant. You'll likely have to pay for parking somewhere unless you want to walk a bit if you come home late.

Federal Hill has a lot of young people living there, and there a huge lot of bars and night clubs and restaurants. You won't lack for a party. It's near both stadiums, particularly the football stadium, so it's quite a scene during the season. Parking is at a premium most of the time, and is especially difficult in the evenings and on game weekends. You could possibly get an apartment in a row house within your budget, sharing the building with another apartment or two. Or you could find housemates via Craigslist and share a house with others. (This works in Hampden too). Most parts of Federal Hill are "safe", but in return there's a lot of rowdiness on weekends near the bar areas. You could in most places walk to work, unless you end up on the Locust Point side, which is also a good place to look for apartments and house shares.

Having said that, a budget of $1200 including utilities is gonna be tough to do.

You can DM me if you have any questions, though.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:00 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,139,858 times
Your best bet would probably be to find a roommate if you want to stay in the Harbor area.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:32 AM

89 posts, read 208,294 times
Get a roommate and rent a house in Federal Hill. Get a bike and your commute will be 5-10 minutes.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:12 PM

3 posts, read 12,494 times
Thanks for the responses everyone. The company I will be working for uses a relocation company so I'll have the help of that person as well. I still havent decided how much I want to pay in rent as of yet. I've read the common practice of not paying more than about 30% of your annual income, which for me will be closer to $15-1600. If I wanted to go up that high, I would think I could afford a small place in one of the previously mentioned buildings (~1200 rent + 70 for cable, 100 for utilities and 150 for parking?). However federall hill sounds like it would be a good fit for where I'm at in life (being young, single, etc) from what you all have said and what I've read elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: