Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 07:40 PM

5 posts, read 7,369 times

Advertisements

i am not from baltimore but i work there; i live in another MD county and commute. my teen son- is interested in theatre and he has experience. i was thinking to let him audition for BSFA as they are a Performing Arts high school. I went to their open house a year ago- just to see and I had some resservations- on the academic end and on the social mores end.

I work in B-more and drive thru the city each day at different times of the day; I am not homo-phobic. But what I notice about B-more is that many of the gay population are extrememly flamboyant- they push it in your face anyway possible. Its normal in B-more to see black gay men in stilletos- a hand bag and a mini all the time and anywhere...even at a grocery store.

As a mother of a teen son this worries me about BSFA, at the open house the gay male student population was overt. My son is hetero; and no i;m not worried that gayness is contagious. But I have always explained to him that if you are a gay man- you are still a man and should behave "professionally/ professionally" in certain environments like school. So I feel in a school setting- boys should dress as boys and such.

So, does anyone know if at BSFA boys are allowed to dress as ladies in school and is a homosexual agenda pushed onto kids in the arts at this school.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 03:35 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,552,292 times
I believe most public schools in the city have a dress code. I do see students from that school arriving/leaving and they are wearing similar colors/attire. Just two questions:
1. What is the 'homosexual agenda"?
2. What do you mean by it being "pushed" onto kids?

You mention gays in Baltimore. I am sure they are in all sizes, colors, genders, etc. There is an area of town that some black transexuals and transgenders like to work the streets. (around 21st and Charles). But that is usually at night. I seldom see "flamboyant" gays around town and I do walk quite a bit. And I would disagree with you that it is normal to see black men in stilletos. ( Although if that was true, I must admit it would be amusing.)

Old 08-24-2012, 07:46 AM

I'm hoping to get the opinion of someone who attended the school or worked in the school or has a relative that did so. Thank you. If you are raising a child right now in this day and age; you will know of the agenda I speak of.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:51 AM

187 posts, read 360,653 times
Even worse than the homosexual agenda might be the artistic agenda, the sworn enemy of professionalism (no doubt perpetrated by a school for the "arts"). If you want your son to keep with that perfect conservative image in your head, maybe you shouldn't steer him towards the arts or any atmosphere rife with self-expression.

You probably shouldn't even expose him to most of the people in the city - the other 50% that aren't black gay men in stilettos and handbags.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:27 AM

225 posts, read 426,827 times
LOL! So "gayness isn't contagious" but there's still an agenda ? Please tell me, as I have gay family members, and they haven't let out a peep about this super-secret agenda, apparently.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:42 AM

7,305 posts, read 13,454,904 times
You don't live in Baltimore, so your kid can't go there. Why the weird fascination about what the gay boys are wearing? Suspect.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:54 PM

-anyone can go to BFSa if they are willing to pay tuition.
-i have gay friends and family members as well; who said that the gay agenda was perpetrated "by gays"?
-i am black
-people within the black community; especially mothers of sons know what i am talking about.
-i promote self expression in all--but in the real world there is a time and place for everything regardless of your "orientation" or anything else---

-just as i thought-- instead of reall insight i am being attacked for being honest

Old 08-24-2012, 03:56 PM

225 posts, read 426,827 times
I really am in ignorance as to the "Gay Agenda" that you are so fearful of. Care to share since it appears to be such a threat to our nations children? I'm quite interested.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:15 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,446,169 times
Good luck even getting in - BSFA is very competitive and has excellent academics as well (longer school day). A friend of mine's daughter went there for theater and did very well, went on to Towson's theater program (but jobs in theater are hard to come by). Daughter of the family across the street wne to BSFA for music, did really well, graduated Towson in 3 years, got a posting with the feds in a non music field. Both motivated, successful young ladies are hetero (if that really matters to you).

BSFA is an elite school. I don't know of any gay agenda. It sounds like from your questions, maybe you should not apply there.

If you really want to honestly try and get your son in BSFA, you should find a tutor, someone who has experience int eh school adn knows what they are looking for. Many kids here int eh city prepare thru the Twiggs program (and it is even competitive to get into that). Imagine - a city public school that holds high standards!

Old 08-24-2012, 04:25 PM

7,305 posts, read 13,454,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat812 View Post
-anyone can go to BFSa if they are willing to pay tuition.
-i have gay friends and family members as well; who said that the gay agenda was perpetrated "by gays"?
-i am black
-people within the black community; especially mothers of sons know what i am talking about.
-i promote self expression in all--but in the real world there is a time and place for everything regardless of your "orientation" or anything else---

-just as i thought-- instead of reall insight i am being attacked for being honest
No you are being attacked for being ignorant. IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: