Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2012, 11:13 AM

18 posts, read 181,841 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Bel Air and have bright children in grade 3rd and 4th. While we are not unhappy with our schools, it looks like schools in the 83 corridor (Timonium, Phoenix, Hereford, etc) have much more to offer for average and above average children. From what I see, Baltimore County seems to be very focused on education, There are many more magnet schools, many more academic activities/clubs offered, better test scores (MSA, SAT). Even the descriptions of the schools on the Baltimore county website include information #AP/IB classes offered, computer/student ratio, and volumes in media center. Harford does not. Over the next year, we are going to look at various school districts and private schools to see if there are better options for my children in the coming middle and high school years. Can anyone tell me from experience in both or either school system what your thoughts are about these school systems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 04:10 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,104,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotodog View Post
I currently live in Bel Air and have bright children in grade 3rd and 4th. While we are not unhappy with our schools, it looks like schools in the 83 corridor (Timonium, Phoenix, Hereford, etc) have much more to offer for average and above average children. From what I see, Baltimore County seems to be very focused on education, There are many more magnet schools, many more academic activities/clubs offered, better test scores (MSA, SAT). Even the descriptions of the schools on the Baltimore county website include information #AP/IB classes offered, computer/student ratio, and volumes in media center. Harford does not. Over the next year, we are going to look at various school districts and private schools to see if there are better options for my children in the coming middle and high school years. Can anyone tell me from experience in both or either school system what your thoughts are about these school systems?
Most Harford schools (especially in Bel Air) turn out more than a few bright students. Just out of curiosity, what schools do your children attend?

Old 09-21-2012, 04:30 PM

26 posts, read 56,101 times
BCPS is full of great schools, especially in the areas that you mentioned. I think there are 5-6 BCPS high schools that are ranked in the top 500 schools in the country.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:31 PM

24 posts, read 42,342 times
I don't think schools really matter. I used to work with this black guy from deep in the hood and he went to Penn then Harvard. Parenting and direction is very important. I have no kids but that's my opinion. But anywhere in Baltimore County would be good besides Kenwood or Dundalk. Then again my cousin went to Dundalk and got a full scholarship to MIT. Go figure. This is all true info.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:55 PM

553 posts, read 1,707,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorephillynyboston View Post
I don't think schools really matter. I used to work with this black guy from deep in the hood and he went to Penn then Harvard. Parenting and direction is very important. I have no kids but that's my opinion. But anywhere in Baltimore County would be good besides Kenwood or Dundalk. Then again my cousin went to Dundalk and got a full scholarship to MIT. Go figure. This is all true info.
One of the best HS in the county, in the country is in Dundalk. I believe it's a technical high school, but it churns out a lot of successful kids.

I've posted a ton about Baltimore schools, but to summarize (and for detail just search my prior postings)...

Harford County schools are not anywhere near as good as BCPS schools, in general. The best school in Harford is not as good as the best school in BCPS. This is evident in school funding, classroom ratios, standardized testing performance, teacher qualifications, you name it.

In turn, the best schools in BCPS are not as good as the best schools in Howard and Montgomery counties.

In BCPS, there are a lot of kids who, unfortunately, don't have the same opportunities as others. They are shipped all over the county, so be prepared that even in the best BCPS schools, there are a population of students who have family problems, behavioral problems, problems with authority, food problems, etc. They bring the overall quality of education in the school down, which is why so many kids in BCPS are sent to private schools as compared to surrounding counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore