Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 09:41 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,507,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by a flag of honor View Post
Not immigrants.. Illegals!!! Call a cop and watch them run like hell..
No thanks. They've done a pretty good job at stabilizing and rebuilding some of our neighborhoods. I'd rather not bust their balls about something I know nothing about (their status).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 08:54 AM

61 posts, read 78,051 times
Default O'Donnell Square

FlipCup,

I know exactly where this development is. They look nice and they are very close to 95. It is also pretty close to Canton which is just on the other side of the O'Donnell Street bridge.

The problem I have with them is, there is no "walkability". Yes, could you walk to the bars on O'Donnell in Canton? Probably. But that bridge is a long walk and the area just outside of the gate to the development is pretty seedy. You will most likely end up paying for cabs to get to the actual city/Canton.

It is almost as if some developer found this vacant lot in between a junk yard, a train, a highway, and the ghetto and said "Wow, I bet we could put up some homes here!"

Hope this helps. Reply if you need anything else.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:02 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,805,223 times
Default My first-hand inspection

I met a friend today who lives in a 1940s (?) Quail Street rowhouse in Greektown. Used the opportunity to look around to see what had become of the two townhouse developments going up near Ponca. This is what I saw:

What you see are the initial stages of something huge. Site prep continues for several more stages of townhouse blocks, whether by these developers or others. One sign said "starting in the 210s." If true, that is a great price. Buyer beware.

I think it is nonsensical to think of walking from these areas to Canton today. That, of course, can be done. But if you are an average American, you won't do it. However, walking to the Eastern Avenue corridor is no sweat. And things are happening there. While the nearest good restaurant is smallish Samos, a cross between a diner and restaurant, Ikarus just moved to new digs. Far pricier, but very good. Also, Acropolis is there. So in terms of walkable restaurants, this area has them.

Among reasons why you may not want to walk to Canton (yet) are distance and the existence of a deserted industrial wasteland in between. But in time all that land will be converted into some other use. Already, residential development is creeping toward Greektown on O'Donnell, near Brewer's Hill.

Along Eastern Avenue, near the Harbor Thruway tunnel, the current MTA bus depot is supposed to be converted into residential use. So what you see in and around Greektown today will be totally different and more upscale five years from now.

Also of inerest may be the old rowhouse streets closer to the Johns Hopkins affiliate center off Eastern Avenue, rowhouse streets like Rappolla and Umbra. They also seem to be gentrifying, with some folks having spent money on fancy retrofits.

Last edited by barante; 10-10-2012 at 03:27 PM..

Old 10-10-2012, 02:48 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,590,914 times
I never thought the day would come but I am witnessing joggers along O'Donnell running across the bridge into Canton. Huge changes are occuring all over southeast Baltimore.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:26 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,898,822 times
The only thing I would beware of, is I'm hearing those 210k homes are more like 300k when you get some of the features you want. If I was investing, I might by one of the existing rowhomes right in the area for less than 150k, and benefit from all of the new communities. Apparently Athena Square is also getting ready to start another phase. Exciting stuff in that area, no doubt about it. Not sure what ghetto that is very close to there as referred by an earlier post. Surrounded by Canton, Greektown, Highlandtown and Bayview... certainly wouldn't characterize any of those neighborhoods as ghetto.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:40 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,805,223 times
Default The old home improvement trick

A salesman has signed a contract for replacement windows. About the exit, he turns around and asks: "Say, would you like to have glass on your new windows."
Homeowner: "Whaddya mean?"
Salesman: "Some of our customers like glass on their windows."

Old 10-12-2012, 09:25 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,032,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
There definitely aren't as many Greeks that live there as there used to be, but there is still a lot. I know several families that still live there. Plus the Church and Community Center are still heavily supported by the area Greek community.
You are correct. Thanks for correcting the previous poster. Yes, less Greeks are in Greektown today than 20 years ago, but it's still predominantly Greek.

The area the OP is considering is safe. Go for it. With all the money being dumped into the area, that can only help your equity.

P.S. For what it's worth, I grew up very close to the area you're considering, I'm Greek so I've spent a LOT of time in Greektown, I own a property that's just up the street from there, and my office of 7 years is walking distance to that intersection as well.

There are mixed opinions on this tread about the area because some people might not know the area well and/or because the area is undergoing a revitalization, much like Harbor East and Canton recently did. Some who think this area isn't safe probably don't realize that times are a changin'.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:36 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,032,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
The only thing I would beware of, is I'm hearing those 210k homes are more like 300k when you get some of the features you want. If I was investing, I might by one of the existing rowhomes right in the area for less than 150k, and benefit from all of the new communities. Apparently Athena Square is also getting ready to start another phase. Exciting stuff in that area, no doubt about it. Not sure what ghetto that is very close to there as referred by an earlier post. Surrounded by Canton, Greektown, Highlandtown and Bayview... certainly wouldn't characterize any of those neighborhoods as ghetto.
The only ghetto over there was O'donnell Heights, but that's long since been bulldozed and is patiently awaiting new construction. Again, I think anyone that thinks this area is bad hasn't been there recently. It happens.

When I was growing up, Canton was the ghetto. Look at it now. Things change, and people need to get with the times.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:35 PM

26 posts, read 51,714 times
Thanks all for the great responses.

We actually found a house in suburbs in White Marsh. We signed a contract and all, however the seller backed out.

So we are back to looking again, we may entertain the idea of O'Donnell Square again.

Anymore input would be great, thanks again all!

Old 02-10-2013, 11:52 AM

3 posts, read 5,628 times
Hi All,

Very interested in the O'Donnell Square community. Anyone know of any new developments regarding this community or the area around it? It has been around 4 months since the last post so I thought I would open back up for discussion. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore