Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2012, 02:05 PM

225 posts, read 429,265 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Me again, the new kid from Texas. Go ahead an point and laugh, but I am FREEZING at night (ok, and during the day) here. I have never lived in a 100-year old house before, nor have I ever used a radiator. I know how they work, but it's pretty clear they are not turned on yet.

Is there a legal time or temperature when the landlord has to turn them on? I checked some city websites about rental rules and didn't find anything.

Don't worry, I'm already wearing 2 layers of sweats and socks and sweatshirt... (Seriously, even right now as I work from home!). Between the night temps and being on the ground floor with lots of tree cover, this house is coooooold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 05:04 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,137,534 times
Have you asked the landlord to turn them on?

Old 09-20-2012, 05:12 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
It's only September!

Old 09-20-2012, 05:30 PM

252 posts, read 425,312 times
It's likely that the heat isn't on...in September. A lot of apartment buildings can only do heat or AC. If you have an old house with a radiator and you don't control the heat then the person isn't likely there at night when it is cooler.

I've gotta say though, if you are cold now, wait until February. I usually don't turn on my heat until after Thanksgiving.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:24 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,090,275 times
If you really are cold get a little portable heater. As long as you follow the directions and use common sense they are safe. But as others have said this isn't cold. It is just getting nice and brisk.

Also give your body time to adjust what seems cold now after a hot summer will seem warm and 'shorts and tank top weather' in March!

Old 09-21-2012, 09:43 AM

781 posts, read 1,196,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmiesix View Post
Hi everyone,

Me again, the new kid from Texas. Go ahead an point and laugh, but I am FREEZING at night (ok, and during the day) here. I have never lived in a 100-year old house before, nor have I ever used a radiator. I know how they work, but it's pretty clear they are not turned on yet.

Is there a legal time or temperature when the landlord has to turn them on? I checked some city websites about rental rules and didn't find anything.

Don't worry, I'm already wearing 2 layers of sweats and socks and sweatshirt... (Seriously, even right now as I work from home!). Between the night temps and being on the ground floor with lots of tree cover, this house is coooooold.
Yes, I believe the the time frame is sometime in October. Also is dependent on the inside/outside temperatures at well, especially at night.

I know of these regulations, as I had a 'wonderful' landlord a few years back who told me to 'deal with it' when our heat went out in 0 degree weather for several days... Threw some Maryland code back at him and he changed his tune.

I did a quick Google search and couldn't find the exact temperature but call the Housing Authority of Baltimore City, or 311, they should be able to direct you to the right department/agency to confirm.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:19 PM

225 posts, read 429,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
It's only September!

haha, I know. But if you spend ten years where a 10-day stretch of 90% humidity and over-100s temps are normal, 70 feels cold!!

Thanks for the info guys, I will probably just call 311 on Monday.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:30 PM

130 posts, read 362,417 times
"a 10-day stretch of 90% humidity and over-100s temps are normal, 70 feels cold!!"

you weren't here (in MD) this summer, were you? A 70F day or two would've been nice....

/New England native.
//still consideres anything south of Philly "down south".

Old 09-23-2012, 11:03 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmiesix View Post
Hi everyone,

Give it a year and you will think this current temp is lovely.

To answer your question, if your heat is controlled by the landlord, then Oct. 1st. is the usual legal date it must be turned on.

If you are really cold, get a portable ceramic heater. They are fairly cheap, and even though they seem like they are not doing much in a few hours your entire room will feel too hot.

But yeah, I am laughing. I mean, I did move from California to Minneapolis and went without heat or air conditioning for almost five years straight. I lived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker16 View Post
"a 10-day stretch of 90% humidity and over-100s temps are normal, 70 feels cold!!"

you weren't here (in MD) this summer, were you? A 70F day or two would've been nice....

/New England native.
//still consideres anything south of Philly "down south".
Yeah, the summer was brutal, but could have been worse. I spent three years in Maine and one in Boston before moving to Maryland. I miss New England weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore