Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2007, 08:04 AM

Location: I live in Loris, South Carolina. I am trying to move back to Balto.
1 posts, read 4,070 times

Advertisements

I am moving back to baltimore after 4 years of living in South Carolina. I just recently went on a mini trip back and all the neighborhoods are so different. I have heard a few bad things about certain neighborhoods and then I have heard good things about the same but I am thinking that some opinions are bias. So I was looking for an outside opinion? Does anyone know any neighborhoods that are affordable and safe for a 3 and 5 year old with a pretty good school near by? I know it sounds like a lot but it seems like once you have kids you worry about every little detail! Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 02:27 PM

915 posts, read 3,180,454 times
Really depends on what community and if there are a lot renters or in the bus line. A lot Essex, Middle River or Dundalk area are old community. But revitalization been going on for the eastern corridor of baltimore. Dundalk Ave is going thru a face life, streetscape..etc

check yr pm

Old 12-06-2007, 07:37 PM

22 posts, read 196,579 times
Default Victory Schools

Dear Friendly Face:

I hope your transition from South Carolina to Maryland is smooth and successful. What brings you back to the Baltimore area? What did you like and dislike about South Carolina? I always wanted to visit the Great Smoky Mountains area or a coastal city such as Charleston or Hilton Head.

About Essex schools, obviously you will need to do some research and actually visit some schools, meet neighbors, etc. I would think visiting Victory Villa Elementary School or Charlesmont Elementary School would be great places to start. Let me know how it goes. I have a young son myself, and I appreciate the importance of good schools. Take care.

Sincerely,
Richard McCollim

Old 12-06-2007, 11:41 PM

10 posts, read 40,956 times
Hey, friendlyface. I don't want to scare you, but I would stay away from Dundalk with children as young as yours. Our local news recently did some research and said that one of the zipcodes in Dundalk has the highest amount of registered sex offenders in Baltimore.
To be honest, I would think Essex is right behind them. All of the waterfront property is going for upwards of $1 million, now, but other than that, there's a lot of lower class neighborhoods in those areas. Don't get me wrong, I'm not upper class, myself, but it seems so many neighborhoods that used to be middle class are slipping away due to the awful drug problems that seem to have seeped into the suburbs over the past decade. I would re-think your decision about moving back here with 2 small children. Sorry!

Old 12-07-2007, 12:26 AM

1 posts, read 3,996 times
I grew up in Rising Sun,Md which we all know was KKK capital. only I broke the chain, yes my son is white but he knows no hate. All I can say about Rising Sun,MD is you have rednecks begetting rednecks what are you going to get but a redneck. Also resided in Edgewood,Md for ten years watched crack and heroine take the neighborhood over. But count the pawn shops in the area, its all about supply and demand. The best way to see about a neighborhood is to go around dusk till midnight (try not to get killed while observing) watch foot traffic car traffic and police presence. Don't think that you are safe in the country we moved to Woodstock,VA and my son was brutally attacked in the bathroom at his middle school. And was placed on probation for getting the **** beat out of him. Safe no where watch your back!!

Last edited by LoganSucks2; 12-07-2007 at 12:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore