Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 11:51 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,102,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyA View Post
Hi Everyone,
My husband is interviewing for a job with MITRE that lists location as Aberdeen, Maryland. I am not sure if this is APG or not as he is not military. I am Asian American (albeit mixed with caucasian) and my husband is a White American, originally from Italy. We have a three year old son.

When I looked up Aberdeen, I was a bit frightened when I read some reports about Rising Sun and the KKK. There are a lot of posts saying things about what areas are nice (some close to and even including Rising Sun), etc, but are these opinions colored by race? As an Asian American, should I be wary of places in the Aberdeen area and stick to Baltimore? Am I worrying about nothing? Thanks in advance for any responses.

PS - We currently live in the SF Bay Area, which is much more ethnically diverse, but my family is all located on the east coast (Miami, Florida) and we are thinking that even being in the same time zone is a plus, which is why we are considering this.
TiffanyA, I can assure you that you and your family will be fine in Aberdeen. I'm black and my ex-wife is white and we lived there with our four bi-racial children for several years before my current job brought me to Alaska. We never had any problems or issues with anyone in Aberdeen or anywhere else in Harford County. If I could, I would move back to Aberdeen right now.

Please realize that Aberdeen, specifically, and Harford County, in general, do not have the racial problems because of the presence of APG. As you may or may not know, the military tends to have a larger number of interracial marriages and bi-racial children than the general population so there tends to be more acceptance of it.

Honestly, there is nowhere in Harford County that I would hesitate to frequent because of any concerns regarding racism. I stayed in Aberdeen for over a month last summer/fall in my old house (now my mom's house) and I am pleased to report that it's still feels like home. The people are still warm and friendly to everyone, regardless of who you are. I promise you, if you move to Aberdeen or any other town in Harford County, you will not regret your decision.

If you have any questions or just want more info, send me a diect message anytime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 11:55 AM

137 posts, read 614,837 times
16 miles is not a lot (I live more miles from San Francisco proper and it's still considered commute distance) and it takes a long time for a community to fully change, especially as recently as some of the events I see. People who grew up in the 1970's are still around. However, yes, Harford County is not Cecil County, so thanks for reassuring me. I still think we want to live closer to Baltimore for other reasons. If my husband did get an offer from MITRE, he'd want to work towards a higher degree - probably at Johns Hopkins. And from what I her the commute from the Aberdeen area into the city is horrible. Perhaps some area is the middle of the two. Thank you again for all the responses.

I'll be on the lookout for areas that would not be too bad a commute either way. If anyone has any opinions on public transport as well, I'd love to hear them. I hear MARC or Amtrak can take us from Baltimore to Aberdeen.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:10 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,510,519 times
Quote:
Perhaps some area is the middle of the two. Thank you again for all the responses.

I'll be on the lookout for areas that would not be too bad a commute either way. If anyone has any opinions on public transport as well, I'd love to hear them. I hear MARC or Amtrak can take us from Baltimore to Aberdeen.
White Marsh is popular for those looking for an in-between. The MARC station you would use is Martin State Airport.

There is way more peak service heading TO Baltimore and Washington in the AM - something to consider.

Harford County is far more "progressive" than Cecil. I would heed the other poster's advice about Aberdeen and have a look. I don't think it's any more racist than the Baltimore suburbs.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:44 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,593,147 times
Like I wrote earlier, racism exists all over.

KKK activity in Northern California `a wake-up call' | j. the Jewish news weekly of Northern California

Old 10-10-2012, 02:55 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,593,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
There is also a group in South Anne Arundel County. They rallied at a shopping center in Arnold when I was younger, I'll never forget that sight... it's shocking.

Whether these groups exist or not, the level of racial hate crimes in this state is very low. Much of Harford County is very nice, I would recommend living in the Bel Air/Fallston area and you should be just fine.

klynch, I have meant to post this before but I want to thank you and very much appreciate your blog/site on south baltimore. I read it often and always enjoy your quality of reporting. ( I hope in fact you are the same klynch that also contributes to the developement site!!)

Old 10-10-2012, 03:16 PM

Not arguing with you at all. We moved to the outskirts of the Bay Area about a year ago to buy a house. I've now realized some of my fellow residents fly confederate flags. I would not like to replicate that if and when I move to MD, so I'm trying to do my due diligence. The situation here was a wake-up call for me - because I'd been so isolated from this when I lived closer to San Francisco. I am more concerned for my son, honestly, than myself. Just want a good, healthy environment for him. I have the same concern about sex offenders (I hear the Belmar area of Baltimore has many for some reason).

Old 10-10-2012, 03:21 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,806,622 times
Default Disappearance of organized racism

For all practical purposes, avowedly racist organizations have disappeared from the Baltimore area.

I mentioned having monitored two cross-burnings on a private farm in Rising Sun. I also monitored one in Gambrills, Anne Arundel County. But those happened in the early 1970s.

Similarly gone is the Charles Luthardt's Fighting American Nationalists, who held rallies in Patterson Park with racist songs and records for purchase. He was an Anne Arundel County resident who found fertile ground for a time in the city.

In the 1970s, there was also a local Nazi party headquarters near Patterson Park. If you traveled on Eastern Avenue, Nazi flags greeted you.

Prejudices continue and always will. But today's America, however imperfect, is a different country.

Last edited by barante; 10-10-2012 at 03:31 PM..

Old 10-10-2012, 03:36 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,510,519 times
Quote:
Not arguing with you at all. We moved to the outskirts of the Bay Area about a year ago to buy a house. I've now realized some of my fellow residents fly confederate flags. I would not like to replicate that if and when I move to MD, so I'm trying to do my due diligence. The situation here was a wake-up call for me - because I'd been so isolated from this when I lived closer to San Francisco. I am more concerned for my son, honestly, than myself. Just want a good, healthy environment for him. I have the same concern about sex offenders (I hear the Belmar area of Baltimore has many for some reason).
You may occasionally see a confederate flag around here, as Maryland is in fact south of the Mason Dixon line and held plenty of confederate supporters during the war. Many who fly it are representing their family history and not necessarily using it as an outward sign of bigotry. However I admit that it makes for an awkward conversation piece about one's family history.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:13 PM
rfp

333 posts, read 689,998 times
Quote:
Maryland is in fact south of the Mason Dixon line and held plenty of confederate supporters during the war.
The war ended 150 years ago.
Quote:
... not necessarily using it as an outward sign of bigotry.
You are too forgiving by far.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfp View Post
You are too forgiving by far.
Seconded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore