Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 10:15 AM

5 posts, read 17,115 times

Advertisements

Where do the people who work for Morgan Stanely, T Rowe Price, Under Armour, etc hang out? I'm a recent grad from an Ivy, and having trouble finding places in Baltimore that aren't filled with the "blue-collar" types.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 10:19 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,898,980 times
Federal Hill, Harbor East, Fells Point, Canton, Mt. Vernon

Old 11-07-2012, 10:24 AM

Any specific bars? I go out in Federal Hill often and still can't find anyone else that went somewhere besides Maryland, Penn State, or Virginia Tech.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:32 AM

There is definitely a lot of Ivy League types in Federal Hill. Have you tried Ropewalk (Preppiest bar around), Regi's, Porters, Ryleigh's... places like that. Baltimore is a very down to earth place, so it's not uncommon for Ivy league types and state school people to hang out together all the time without thinking anything of it. A lot of times they went to High School together.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:39 AM

What about places in Canton or Fells?

Old 11-07-2012, 10:48 AM

It's hard to tell where people went to college, your average person in those area leans towards preppy. But I'd definitely suggest bar hopping in Fells especially along Thames Street see if you find the type of thing your are looking for. Places like Bond Street Social, Khali's court and Thames Street Oyster House are definitely a little more upscale.

In Canton I'd definitely check out Portside, Mamma's On the Half Shell, Saute and places like that.

Seems a lot of the finance people go out at Peter's on Water Street after work.. or at least they used to, and it seems most people at UA go for a workout after work. Legg Mason and Morgan Stanley are both in Harbor East and there are a lot of bars over there... you might want to check out James Joyce for starters.

Every bar in Baltimore has a different feel, so might as well bar hop till you find some you like.

I live in Federal Hill and there is definitely some I love, some I go in more than others, some I don't mind, and some I don't care for, but there is an incredible amount of options and a lot of good food. Same can be said for a lot of the other neighborhoods

Old 11-07-2012, 11:15 AM

89 posts, read 208,060 times
Is this a serious thread? If so, sounds like you'd be more comfortable in DC.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:57 AM

I would love to be in DC, but I'm stuck here for now. Thanks for your help KLynch!

Old 11-07-2012, 12:47 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,032,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misty12 View Post
Any specific bars? I go out in Federal Hill often and still can't find anyone else that went somewhere besides Maryland, Penn State, or Virginia Tech.
You originally asked:
Where do the people who work for Morgan Stanely, T Rowe Price, Under Armour, etc hang out? I'm a recent grad from an Ivy, and having trouble finding places in Baltimore that aren't filled with the "blue-collar" types.

Now you're asking:
Any specific bars? I go out in Federal Hill often and still can't find anyone else that went somewhere besides Maryland, Penn State, or Virginia Tech

So, are you looking for where people that work for MS, TRP, UA, etc hang out? Or are you looking for places where people that went to ivy schools hang out?

Last I checked, everyone I know (and that's quite a few) that works at MS, TRP, UA, etc, all went to MD, Penn, Towson, VA. Guess you'll have to hang out with non-ivy folks if you want to hang with those that work at Morgan Stanley, TRowe, and Under Armour.

You must not originally be from Maryland. Perhaps you could find more ivy folks in your gold ole' ivy town. New flash: Baltimore is a blue collar town, yet some of these down right blue collar folks somehow manage to land jobs in big fancy offices. Imagine that!

I could give you more specifics, but I'm just too put off by your question to do so. Good luck, and I wish you all the best in your quest.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:08 PM

187 posts, read 363,678 times
Look lively, old chap. Harbor East sports a distinct absence of the working class. The older neighborhoods will always bear a bit of that pesky diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore