Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2009, 02:13 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,552,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Totally random, but what other neighborhoods have you lived in? Just curious!
Before Patterson Park, I lived in Arcadia for a few years. Before that, I lived in Canton and did a short stay in Hampden when I first moved to Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 11:14 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,852,185 times
Default I agree..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
I am a great Baltimore supporter but this guy is spot-on. I have traveled by train in the US and many other countries and must admit, those sections of Philly and Baltimore that the tracks run through have got to be the worst I have seen.
What really gets me is the train station in Baltimore. I mean, DC's, Philly's, NYC's, and Boston's are all clean and kept up. Then you look at ours and see the dirty windows and shades all ripped up on the upper two floors. It's rediculous. I have tried writing to both Amtrak and the city about it but no one wants to claim responsibility. I mean, how hard would it be to wash the windows and put up some clean shades? It's one of those things that irks me beyond belief.
..and this is the real reason why I would never consider living in either Philadelphia or Baltimore (they're both too hot and humid in the summer, anyway).

I've taken the train from Boston to DC a number of times, and the view of North Philly and Baltimore from the Amtrak window is one of shoddy, dilapidated row houses, garbage, and complete destitution and poverty. Now I've left the train, and visited both cities several times, but the impression lingers, and once you've left the desirable areas( Broad Street, Penn's Landing, Harbourplace and Federal Hill, you're right back in some very shady areas.It's hard to recommend either city as a place to live after you've seen this. Boston has problems, but it certainly doesn't look like this.

One man's honest opinion....

Old 01-14-2009, 12:38 PM

7 posts, read 17,638 times
@Road trip gurl, i took the marc train too and eventually ended up in Boston, but don't get me wrong i'm not talking specifically about Baltimore, the tracks between Philly and NY are just the same or even worse.
Enough about that cause i'm wining about those slums and everything but i had a wonderful time in the U.S. and i love to visit it again some day, the people where very friendly most of the time trough out the country and i never felt uncomfortable, except for one time in Philly when i walked along a couple of big guys in downtown philly and they shouted wheter i liked to gamble or not cause they were playing dice.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:08 PM

4,382 posts, read 16,722,500 times
^ anyway Enschede, your wish is coming true as John Hopkins keeps gobbling up East Baltimore and putting up modern buildings - which lack the character the buildings in E Bmore have

Old 01-14-2009, 01:13 PM

4,382 posts, read 16,722,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Before Patterson Park, I lived in Arcadia for a few years. Before that, I lived in Canton and did a short stay in Hampden when I first moved to Baltimore.
That's awesome! What's Arcadia like? I was thinking of photographing it one day

Old 01-14-2009, 01:24 PM

7 posts, read 17,638 times
@billiam, if they are putting up new buildings and break down old historical still in a reasonable shape buildings than it's a shame, if most of the older buildings are crappy ratholes than it's a good thing.
It's a shame i can't find the old pictures of my city, cause than you would see that it's necessary to remove abandonend buildings in dense industrial urban areas.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:33 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,552,292 times
Quote:
That's awesome! What's Arcadia like? I was thinking of photographing it one day

Arcadia is actually a very nice neighborhood. I moved from there only because I wanted to go solo--without the car. I still have a car but seldom use it.
Anyway, it's a tight community with a variety of homes. The spring is the best time for photography because of it's huge selection of azaleas blooming. Lots of character there and good neighbors. I never had a home-alarm (do now) nor did I even worry about locking my doors to much (have three dogs). Used to leave on business for 3 weeks or more and the home was fine upon return.
They also have this huge yard sale once a year with many participating and block parties, etc.
I would still be there if it was a bit more convenient for me. Baltimore really needs better transit options. Thanks for asking by the way and I do enjoy all of your Frederick photography.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:03 AM

11 posts, read 40,605 times
Canton, Canton, Canton ! Want to be in a nice area...move to canton. I live down here now and i'm getting ready to move, but I will miss canton. So much to do and a pretty safe area. Lots of young professionals here.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:27 PM

33 posts, read 113,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantstopme View Post
I agree. I love Canton and the Canton motto is great: "Canton: Hot Chicks, Cold Beer, No Parking." I usually walk, so the parking part doesn't bother me and is more than overcome by the first two.
amen brother, amen!

Old 01-16-2009, 03:23 PM

9 posts, read 26,079 times
Quote:
^ anyway Enschede, your wish is coming true as John Hopkins keeps gobbling up East Baltimore and putting up modern buildings - which lack the character the buildings in E Bmore have
And East Bmore is still bad! My old neighborhood led the city in murders in '08. I moved away from here 6 years ago and I'm never coming back! To all who considering moving here, trust me, you can do much better!

Last edited by 7th generation; 01-17-2009 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: watch your language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore