Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 03:29 PM

69 posts, read 295,349 times

Advertisements

Baltimore has just recorded it's 129th murder of the year, 16 more then last year. i also heard that so far this year it is the 2nd most dangerous city in america behind Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 03:47 PM

689 posts, read 3,215,367 times
How do you get a ticket for plants in your yard??? What kind of plants were they??

Old 06-11-2007, 02:07 AM

45 posts, read 257,533 times
I was a drug rehab counselor in B'more for all of 6 months. Got told over and over again by some of my addicts that Baltimore has the cheapest, best quality, most readily available heroin on the east coast. There is a hardcore junkie population in the city that ain't going nowhere, not to mention the typical distribution of crack addicts and meth users that's common in any urban enviroment. So expect crime. Lots of it, in every corner or the city. Anyone that moves to B'more has my respect. I didn't even live there and I couldn't handle it.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:23 AM

12 posts, read 68,855 times
Default I love Baltimroe

Houston Girl,

Yes, Baltimore does have bad areas. Just don't go into them.

Baltimore, though, is like any large city. It has crime, poverty, condoms and needles, trash, bean-counters who give tickets for minor things.

But this is the only place I would ever ever live. As a matter of fact, when I returned to the US after living in Beijing for several years, I chose to move back to this city!!!!!

It has many colleges and universities, it has major museums, an oper and a symphony, and great theaters.

The ocean is not too far nor are skiing areas.

We have an international airport and a train station that can get you to New York in four hours.

DC is nearby for tourists; the Amish in Lancaster are just up the road. Phillly is close for neat stuff to see.

The town is funky, textured, retro, and manageable.

It is not New York and is not trying to be.

It is not DC--Thank God!!; instead, it is unpretentious and quirky. It is not trendy or cool or "with it," nor does it try to be.

It is a city of neighborhoods--and all are very distinct.

Many many people here love it. ANd we have great crabs--both ard and soft shell.

If the bad mouthers hate it so much, ask yourself why they are still here.

Looking for a good vibrant area in the city--do not move to the county--you will be bored by its homogeneity--consider the are around Johns Hopkins University. it's called Charles Village.

There, you will find something with amenities, interesting people, and affordable.

As a matter of fact, a friend of mine, has a huge recenty renovated apartment for rent in your price range.

Let me know if you want to contact her.

corgi

Old 06-22-2007, 01:10 AM

1,153 posts, read 4,557,726 times
Baltimore SHOULD try to be more like New York, though. 20 years ago NYC was very dumpy, like how Baltimore is dumpy now. Giuliani did a number on the crime rate, and Baltimore should at least make an attempt to elect a similar mayor, rather than the usual ultra-liberal NAACP apologist a la O'malley, Schmoke, and whoever is mayor now. Baltimore's stupid accent and supposed charm can't carry the city.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:11 AM

1,153 posts, read 4,557,726 times
Also, Baltimore is up to 146 murders this year.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:07 PM

3 posts, read 13,113 times
so don't join a gang and don't do drugs; you won't get murdered.

Old 06-23-2007, 01:35 PM

418 posts, read 1,734,298 times
If your budget is $1100/mo for a one bedroom, you'll be fine. Live in Fells Point, Federal Hill or Canton. You'll be near the water/downtown and other young people, and will be pretty safe. Or further north neighborhoods: Wyman Park, Roland Park, Mt. Washington.

What the poster above says is true: don't join a gang or deal drugs, and you're not going to get murdered. The vast majority of violent crimes are inflicted by gangbangers on to other gangbangers in East and West Baltimore. I'm sure there are plenty of areas in Houston where you wouldn't live either, right?

Old 07-05-2007, 05:52 AM

12 posts, read 68,855 times
Yes, NYMTman, Baltimore is dumpy--not in all areas but in several.

I agree with you about the mayors here too. Thank God, the mayoral election is coming up and some good non-cronies are going to run.

The number of murders stuns me too. But these murders are gang-related--retaliation/"snitching"/"pay back." Also, the murders tend to be in isolated areas--not city-wide.

Still, I love Baltimore. It's manageable and, IMHO, a good place to live. But "one" must experience the city to see that. National headlines do not paint a pretty picture of the city.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:23 PM

1 posts, read 5,419 times
I've been following this thread for a while. I have been in Highlandtown for a bit now and nothing has made me regret moving here. The streets aren't very busy at night, and I've walked around plenty (by myself!) on Eastern, Conkling, Haven, Clinton, and around Patterson Park. Its cheaper than Canton and I've had no problems. You don't wanna live near Pulaski highway though, thats where it seems to be a worse area than down by Eastern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore