Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 04:19 AM

3 posts, read 64,520 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody!

I don't live in Baltimore. Actually, I live in Toronto, Canada, but I am doing some research for a piece of writing I am working on about the history and geography of Baltimore. I chose the city because I'm a huge fan of The Wire and kind of fell in love with the city from afar because of that awesome show.

Anyway, I was reading a couple of other posts about what are some good places to see in Baltimore, and someone said something about the 'bad neighbourhoods.'

Just wondering, what are the names and geographical boundaries of the bad neighbourhoods in Baltimore, in your opinion?

In Toronto, its Regent Park in the East (Queen east of Jarvis) and Parkdale in the West (ending at King and Dundas), as well as some parts of Scarborough (such as Malvern). I'm sure there are others, but these are just off the top of my head.

Appreciate any and all responses to my question. Thanks for your help.

Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 08:51 AM

759 posts, read 1,356,024 times
You fell in love with Baltimore because of "The Wire?"
Believe me, while Baltimore has a lot going for it, it's not nearly so glamorous has TV shows would have you think.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:43 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,898,980 times
If you put an X through the center if the city. The east and west quadrants are where the worst areas are. Some neighborhoods include Elwood Park, Broadway East, Oldtown, Sandtown, Coppin Heights, Park Heights and more.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:21 AM

It's a shame the Wire can't be brought up without a mature conversation. Certain parts of the city are like the Wire and a lot of places are nothing like it.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:55 PM

200 posts, read 619,869 times
I was briefly in Toronto. I'd be willing to bet that the "bad" neighborhoods of Toronto compare favorably with the "good" neighborhoods of Baltimore. Ha ha.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:16 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freq_flyer1972 View Post
I chose the city because I'm a huge fan of The Wire and
kind of fell in love with the city from afar because of that awesome show.
Expand your sample pool.
Rent a few John Waters or even Barry Levinson films.

Besides, most of the fun is in the 'burbs:

#788) Serial Mom (1994) - YouTube

Old 11-23-2012, 05:32 PM
rfp

333 posts, read 689,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freq_flyer1972 View Post
Hi everybody!

I don't live in Baltimore. Actually, I live in Toronto, Canada,
Dan
You live in Dullsville.

Go away.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peon View Post
MOST of the city is exactly like the wire and its scary.

Yeah you have a good neighborhoods like Canton, Federal Hill, Mt. Vernon, Bolton Hill, Roland Park, Cheswolde, Locust Point, Fells Point, Loch Raven and a few others but there are way more bad than good.

The bad neighborhoods: Cherry Hill, Brooklyn, Upton, Park Heights, Edmonston Village, Barea, Middle East, Ednor Gardens, Waverly, Barclay, McColloh Homes, Harlem Park, Winchester, All of North Ave, All of Greenmount, North Broadway, Cedonia, 4x4, Coppin Heights, Yale Heights, Bentalou, Waltherson, and the list goes on.

Even the good neighborhoods have higher crime especially Fells Points....

In Baltimore it is HARD to avoid the hood because the hood exists all over the city on the light rail, on the subway and buses, downtown (Lexington Market is straight up ghetto, Eutaw and howard streets are hood). The inner harbor gets ghetto too. Baltimore is ghetto and there's no denying that but I like the city, I just wish most of it wasn't a cesspool full of alcoholics, drug addicts, drug dealers, stick up kids, prostitutes, rogue teenagers, corrupt officials, incompetent police, etc...
Okay than, two questions. Do you live in the City and if so is everyday there like the Wire? Which would mean of course Do drug gangs run you block? Are good friends of yours now cold blooded killers? Is the pressure for you to join a gang so great that it's what you have to do to survive?

Baltimore has it's issues, no doubt about it, but tell me a city that doesn't. Baltimore isn't even in the top 5 most dangerous cities in this country any more, and in some studies not even top 10. The murder and shooting rates have dropped over 40% since the show was created, and Baltimore has a one of the highest percentages of new young professionals moving to the city, and is rated high as a tech city, health city, for it's job market, and city for college grads.

So to say that everyday in Baltimore is just like the Wire is a bit ridiculous to me... of course unless you are part of a drug gang in Upton or something... which I'm going to guess your not since your worried about whether to shop in the Towson Town Center or White Marsh Mall.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:15 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,455,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peon View Post
MOST of the city is exactly like the wire and its scary.

Yeah you have a good neighborhoods like Canton, Federal Hill, Mt. Vernon, Bolton Hill, Roland Park, Cheswolde, Locust Point, Fells Point, Loch Raven and a few others but there are way more bad than good.

The bad neighborhoods: Cherry Hill, Brooklyn, Upton, Park Heights, Edmonston Village, Barea, Middle East, Ednor Gardens, Waverly, Barclay, McColloh Homes, Harlem Park, Winchester, All of North Ave, All of Greenmount, North Broadway, Cedonia, 4x4, Coppin Heights, Yale Heights, Bentalou, Waltherson, and the list goes on.

Even the good neighborhoods have higher crime especially Fells Points....

In Baltimore it is HARD to avoid the hood because the hood exists all over the city on the light rail, on the subway and buses, downtown (Lexington Market is straight up ghetto, Eutaw and howard streets are hood). The inner harbor gets ghetto too. Baltimore is ghetto and there's no denying that but I like the city, I just wish most of it wasn't a cesspool full of alcoholics, drug addicts, drug dealers, stick up kids, prostitutes, rogue teenagers, corrupt officials, incompetent police, etc...
I beg to differ: Ednor Gardens and Waltherson are quite nice. In fact Martin O'Malley (you do know who he is, yes?) lived on Walther Blvd when he was mayor (used to see him at mass at St Francis of Assisi in Mayfield). The adjacent Hamilton and Lauraville are doing very well also. And there is a lot of redevelopment going on in Greenmount and it is looking very good - lots of high quality renovated homes, the charter Montessori school is growing, construction is well underway for the new Baltimore Design high school. And Station North Arts District just above Greenmount is doing very well. To the northwest of Greenmount is Hopkins campus, bordered by Guilford and Hamden. Progress is creeping down 33rd St from Hopkins to Waverly (Ednor Gardens is the neighborhood north of the site of Memorial Stadium on 33rd St). There are nice places and they are affordable too.

So while there are bad/depressed areas, there are more good ones than you think.

Baltimore is the 12th largest city in the US. All cities have crime. Be aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine.

BTW, yes, Lexington Market has seen better days, but I have no problem going there and it is still the crown jewel of the city market system. Have you been there recently? Been to Faidley's, bought a Berger cookie, checked out the vast amounts of produce and seafood and meats?

Last edited by dogpark; 11-25-2012 at 08:28 AM..

Old 11-25-2012, 08:18 AM

537 posts, read 768,561 times
The point about drawing an x on the city seems to be a good guideline. However, everyday here is not like The Wire. Everyday here is a lot like My So-Called Life or Freaks and Geeks for me. I live on the outskirts of the city, but I'm down in East Baltimore (Hopkins) regularly.

Unfortunately, yes, I am close to over 30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore