Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 01:31 PM

225 posts, read 429,009 times

Advertisements

My friend just got rear-ended by someone who is on the MAIF insurance. She was driving a giant SUV, talking on her phone, and slammed into his car without looking. Shouldn't people who are uninsurable be banned from driving, or at least mandated not to drive SUVs (or cars over a certain tonnage)? Does the MAIF program cost taxpayers money or is it self-supported? I had not heard of it before now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 01:41 PM

759 posts, read 1,356,024 times
As I understand it, MAIF is a quasi-governmental agency that is funded independently through its insureds' auto premiums. They sell insurance to people who have such bad driving records they can't get insurance anywhere else. Their website claims that they do not receive any taxpayer subsidy to help insure their customers. However, they are a governmental office with a board of trustees, a director, several departments, a large staff and brick and mortar buildings, and all of that stuff costs money. I'd never heard of such a program in any other state in which I've lived.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:52 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmiesix View Post
Shouldn't people who are uninsurable be banned from driving,
or at least mandated not to drive SUVs (or cars over a certain tonnage)?
Why stop there?
Lets ban the use of any large vehicles for personal use.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:56 PM

45,331 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
As I understand it, MAIF is a quasi-governmental agency that is funded independently through its insureds' auto premiums. They sell insurance to people who have such bad driving records they can't get insurance anywhere else. Their website claims that they do not receive any taxpayer subsidy to help insure their customers. However, they are a governmental office with a board of trustees, a director, several departments, a large staff and brick and mortar buildings, and all of that stuff costs money. I'd never heard of such a program in any other state in which I've lived.

PA has (or used to have something similar) an assigned insurance fund. MAIF does not receive taxpayer funding. All those costs of doing business you mentioned are paid for like any other insurance company, with premium revenues. MAIF also doesn't insure the people directly, insurance is placed through private insurance companies at a very high premium and the risks are pooled from there.

As to the OP's wish list. There are plenty of people who shouldn't drive SUVs. If the person who ran into your friend had Allstate would you want the same limitations? A wreck is a wreck.

A lot of people have to use MAIF not because of accidents but speeding tickets. It doesn't take too many to kick you over to it.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:19 PM

342 posts, read 1,554,082 times
There are probably more MAIF drivers out there than you think. (there are probably more uninsured drivers out there, as well) Good luck with your claim.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
PA has (or used to have something similar) an assigned insurance fund. MAIF does not receive taxpayer funding. All those costs of doing business you mentioned are paid for like any other insurance company, with premium revenues. MAIF also doesn't insure the people directly, insurance is placed through private insurance companies at a very high premium and the risks are pooled from there.

As to the OP's wish list. There are plenty of people who shouldn't drive SUVs. If the person who ran into your friend had Allstate would you want the same limitations? A wreck is a wreck.

A lot of people have to use MAIF not because of accidents but speeding tickets. It doesn't take too many to kick you over to it.
I was speaking in jest out of irritation, but I am really shocked by the terrible driving in Baltimore. At some point, if someone proves themselves to be incapable of safe driving, I don't want them on the road, and certainly not driving a large heavy car that could crush my son in the backseat because we drive a more economical model. In reality, I'd just vote to raise the gas tax to Europe's levels, and let people figure out how important driving a giant SUV or van really is to them.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
I was speaking in jest out of irritation, but I am really shocked by the terrible driving in Baltimore. At some point, if someone proves themselves to be incapable of safe driving, I don't want them on the road, and certainly not driving a large heavy car that could crush my son in the backseat because we drive a more economical model. In reality, I'd just vote to raise the gas tax to Europe's levels, and let people figure out how important driving a giant SUV or van really is to them.
So you basically want to limit what vehicle choice people have because you don't like the vehicle.

I personally think that people who drive econoboxes should have to pay an extra tariff due to the inherent lack of safety of those vehicles (makes as much sense as you).

Old 12-09-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
So you basically want to limit what vehicle choice people have because you don't like the vehicle.
No, I want to limit the weight of vehicle that people who have proven themselves to be dangerous drivers should be allowed to drive. It's about conservation of momentum. If someone driving a heavy SUV collides with a pedestrian, bicycle, or smaller car, it is far more of an impact for the latter than if the bad driver were driving something smaller. I would actually advocate taking repeat offenders off the road entirely, but I'd settle for keeping them from driving very heavy cars.

Quote:
I personally think that people who drive econoboxes should have to pay an extra tariff due to the inherent lack of safety of those vehicles (makes as much sense as you).

Except that I, as an driver of an economical car, am contributing far less harm to the environment AND have not had an accident, ever (knock on wood). So, why should I be punished, exactly?

Old 12-09-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
No, I want to limit the weight of vehicle that people who have proven themselves to be dangerous drivers should be allowed to drive. It's about conservation of momentum. If someone driving a heavy SUV collides with a pedestrian, bicycle, or smaller car, it is far more of an impact for the latter than if the bad driver were driving something smaller. I would actually advocate taking repeat offenders off the road entirely, but I'd settle for keeping them from driving very heavy cars.

Except that I, as an driver of an economical car, am contributing far less harm to the environment AND have not had an accident, ever (knock on wood). So, why should I be punished, exactly?
So this really isn't about MAIF, it's about you not liking SUVs and pickups. You ask why you should be punished yet you are advocating punishing others. Why should I be punished because you've chosen to drive a vehicle in which you're afraid?

I don't have MAIF, by the way, but where do you draw the line? Follow your reasoning out: Driver A is assigned to MAIF, he has a Ford Explorer. Under your plan he'd have to sell it and buy a smaller vehicle, say a Focus. So, not only is he hit with much higher premiums but now, under your plan, he also has a car payment.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
So this really isn't about MAIF, it's about you not liking SUVs and pickups. You ask why you should be punished yet you are advocating punishing others. Why should I be punished because you've chosen to drive a vehicle in which you're afraid?

I don't have MAIF, by the way, but where do you draw the line? Follow your reasoning out: Driver A is assigned to MAIF, he has a Ford Explorer. Under your plan he'd have to sell it and buy a smaller vehicle, say a Focus. So, not only is he hit with much higher premiums but now, under your plan, he also has a car payment.

I have no problems with people driving SUVs or pickups, especially if they need them and/or are safe drivers. So if you're a safe driver, no, I don't want to take your car away. And I'm not talking people who have had one accident. I'm talking about the 10% of drivers that are responsible for 85% of all road accidents. These people, honestly, should take public transit.

It's not strictly about MAIF, but the link is that MAIF is for people who otherwise WOULD NOT DRIVE because they couldn't get insurance. I'm not really in favor of state-sponsored efforts to put people who have proven themselves uninsurable back behind the wheel. Of course as long as I'm dictator, I would also have a very well-run public transit system so these people could still shop, get to work, etc. It's really NOT about punishing them, it's about removing a *proven* danger to public safety, at least for some time.

Bottom line: driving is a privilege, not a right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore