U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 01:38 PM

34 posts, read 67,469 times

Advertisements

Hello! My family may be moving to Baltimore this summer. I've done a lot of research on neighborhoods in Baltimore, and I think I've narrowed down those that seem ideal for my family: Washington Village, Patterson Park, Baltimore Highlands, Brewer's Hill, Middle East, and maybe Union Square.

(Charles Village, Hampden, and Butchers Hill also look nice, thought slightly more expensive. Mount Vernon, Canton, the Fells, Federal Hill, and Bolton Hill look lovely as well, but are out of our price range. I'm fairly confident we would not be happy living in the far NW corner of the city.)

We are a white couple with a child who will enter kindergarten in a year. We have lived in other big cities with issues that challenge many urban areas. When we moved to our current city, we were told by many people to avoid certain neighborhoods, as they were unsafe. We took their advice, and while we don't mind where we ended up living, I think we would have been happier living in some of those neighborhoods people warned us against. We were also warned about city schools, and I have found those warnings unwarranted: I have the attitude are that things are what you make of them, and things won't change unless you do the hard advocacy work to make things change.

I realize everyone has a different tolerance for crime and urban problems. I don't want to say we are "urban pioneers," because I think people tend to use that is a negative sense, but we do strongly value living within a city, density, walkable neighborhoods, diversity, and so forth. We are not suburban people at all; we've never lived in a suburb.

For those of you who similarly value city living, what are your thoughts on living in Washington Village, Patterson Park, Baltimore Highlands, Brewer's Hill, Middle East, and maybe Union Square? I think we'd prefer to live in a row house, and these neighborhoods appear to have lots of them, at reasonable prices. Would you recommend these areas for a young family with street smarts and a tolerance for some crime? Are these the kinds of neighborhoods where you just need to use common sense, or are they truly unsafe? What is home and car vandalism like? Will property values hold in these areas? How is parking?

I'm not too concerned about perceived school quality, I think my kid will make it no matter where he is.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 02:42 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,627,517 times
Welcome!

-Washington Village, first off call it Pigtown if you ever move there. It is a diverse area of race and income that is undergoing a slow renaissance. The elementary school there has won some awards, and the main street is coming along and just hired a full time executive director. The farther east in the neighborhood you tend to be the better it is. Barre Circle is right above Washington Blvd which is pretty nice. If you are looking to buy, you can find some outrageously good deals there, and I think this community will have a huge next 5-10 years with the growth of the University of MD medical system and surging prices in nice neighborhoods on the other side of Russell St.

-Patterson Park. I'm sure Johnj will give you a good response. But a rapidly improving area with a good charter school, and some beautiful blocks. Everything South of there is really nice, and north gets dicey.

-Baltimore Highlands. Probably not the nicest area, but if you can get yourself down into Highlandtown... there is a lot to be excited about there. Right next to Canton, one of the city's hottest neighborhoods, and diverse with a lot of great small businesses.

-Brewers Hill- Perhaps the hottest area of the city when it comes to investments under construction. I think this is the nicest neighborhood on your list. There is tons of development there right now, and it's been a very solid area for quite some time. You'll be able to walk to tons of small businesses. Also check out Greektown if you like the area.

-Middle East- This is the area that Hopkins is redeveloping but there is still some scary stuff around there though it's already made a huge turnaround.

-Union Square- Little bit of an Island in an Oasis. Huge mansions and couple nice blocks but very close to some scary neighborhoods. Love the energy there and the neighborhood group, but I'm not sure it's quite the best area for families yet. Also close to Hollins Market which is making improvements. It's an area that has attracted historians and artsy types, and hopefully many more will follow soon!

Old 12-22-2012, 04:22 PM

342 posts, read 1,435,097 times
There is only one Baltimore Highlands and that is in southwestern Baltimore county bordering the city line and the Baltimore-Washington Parkway on the east. The "Baltimore Highlands" referenced above could be considered a northern extension of Highlandtown. I'm not sure how this area began to be known as Baltimore Highlands but it ain't.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:40 PM

757 posts, read 2,345,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtownfunlover View Post
There is only one Baltimore Highlands and that is in southwestern Baltimore county bordering the city line and the Baltimore-Washington Parkway on the east. The "Baltimore Highlands" referenced above could be considered a northern extension of Highlandtown. I'm not sure how this area began to be known as Baltimore Highlands but it ain't.
You might want to tell the people that live there. I drove through the area last weekend on the way to Highlandtown, and there's even a sign denoting the area as Baltimore Highlands. Definitely not in Baltimore County.

Live in Baltimore - Baltimore Highlands

Old 12-22-2012, 04:56 PM

KLynch10, thank you! What is the school in Washington Village you were referring to?

Old 12-22-2012, 05:01 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,627,517 times
George Washington

https://www.baltimorecityschools.org/Domain/468

Both are Baltimore Highlands though I'm not sure many people call the highlandtown one that often.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:50 AM

342 posts, read 1,435,097 times
Well, I maintain there is only one Baltimore Highlands no matter what some city booster outfit says. This organization is only creating confusion especially when tv news people and newspaper reporters refer to it. They also might delete the reference to Church Home Hospital; it ain't there any more.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:16 AM

7,311 posts, read 12,008,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtownfunlover View Post
Well, I maintain there is only one Baltimore Highlands no matter what some city booster outfit says. .
The in-city area used to be called Baltimore Highland (singular), which distinguished it from the place in the county. In recent years I've seen both use the plural.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:17 PM

Exact neighborhood names aside, I'd love your thoughts on those areas. (Sorry, was just going by the neighborhood names on trulia.com). Thanks!

Old 12-30-2012, 02:43 PM

119 posts, read 287,631 times
I lock my car doors when i go thru any of Baltimoe city areas. Very high crime !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore